Menu

The Sentence Family after FLL3

Sweet Home Alabama

My 7 year old will finish FLL 3 and WWE 2 this year... (2nd grade).

I want to know if The Sentence Family would be good for 3rd grade or if it would be more like busy work since we will have finished FLL3. I'm trying to decide whether or not to do this based on if it is a good investment for the time it would require.

We wouldn't do any other formal grammar, but he would start Lively Latin which has some grammar incorporated. We would also go on to WWE 3. For spelling, we would use Apples and Pears.

We would pick formal grammar back up in 4th on grade level.

So, would The Sentence Family work in 3rd considering our backgound and future plans or would it be more like busy work? I won't have the luxury of time to spend with my 3rd grader doing anything "extra".

I need to do just the basics with my 3rd grader because my older kids in 6th and especially 8th will have classes that will require my help. I have to balance the time I have to be able to help everybody.

What do you think?

ETA: I'm not sure how to schedule The Sentence Family. If it could be done as something special on Fridays, for example, would you let me know? I'm under the impression that it would be done like any other grammar..... 3-4 times per week.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

The Sentence Family is organized into 14 stories along with two additional lessons on diagramming. You can do it once a week, once a month, every day, or however you like.

It wouldn't fall into the typical classification of "busywork" as there is no writing involved in the program (with the exception of the little bit in diagramming). It is drawing, hearing the stories, some verbal exercises, and some circling of the parts of speech in sentences. The drawing and the stories could be done independently if desired. You could even do it for art.

If you mean "busywork" as in unprofitable seatwork of material already learned, I still would disagree. The Sentence Family is a fun, fresh way of looking at the parts of speech and their relationship to each other. It makes a great supplement to any grammar program and is ideal for a year in which you want to "take off grammar."

Where Sentence Family really shines is in retention and understanding. It really helped my DS make sense of all the lists and definitions he learned in FLL.

The Sentence Family is organized into 14 stories along with two additional lessons on diagramming. You can do it once a week, once a month, every day, or however you like.

It wouldn't fall into the typical classification of "busywork" as there is no writing involved in the program (with the exception of the little bit in diagramming). It is drawing, hearing the stories, some verbal exercises, and some circling of the parts of speech in sentences. The drawing and the stories could be done independently if desired. You could even do it for art.

If you mean "busywork" as in unprofitable seatwork of material already learned, I still would disagree. The Sentence Family is a fun, fresh way of looking at the parts of speech and their relationship to each other. It makes a great supplement to any grammar program and is ideal for a year in which you want to "take off grammar."

Where Sentence Family really shines is in retention and understanding. It really helped my DS make sense of all the lists and definitions he learned in FLL.

This is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you so much, Birchbark!

:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile: