Menu

PSA for 10th Grade Parents: Scholarships Available for Jrs

In researching a college this past year, I stumbled upon a scholarship which they offer to juniors in high school. This caused me to research a few more of the schools ( private lacs's) on dd's list, and I found two more universities that offer this same type of scholarship. The requirements varied greatly, and so did the amount of money offered (should the student apply and be accepted in the senior year). In some cases, the scholarship would be added to any other merit scholarships for which dd might apply.

The applications/nominations were to be submitted by the student and/or a guidance counselor, depending upon the school. I emailed the admissions offices of the colleges asking how a homeschooler could be nominated and was given the requirements necessary. For one of them, the nomination needed to come from a board member of our local homeschool association. For another one, I was required to submit only copies of her test scores as well as her transcript. The third school required course descriptions, copies of test scores, a teacher recommendation (in lieu of a counselor recommendation), and a full admissions application.

So, my suggestion is for you to take time this summer and research the schools your dd or ds is interested in, and see if they might have something similar. The deadlines for these scholarships were in February and March, so we needed to scramble to make sure that dd had taken either the ACT or SAT by January (in addition to the PSAT in the fall).