Menu

How do you figure what to ask for on pricing curriculum?

I notice most people who post For Sale things post prices with postage included. How do you decide what prices to put on things and how in the world do you guess how much postage/shipping something will be? Especially since it would be nice to end up with at least a bit of money yourself. :)

I have a big list and I've written the post. Now I need to go back and put my prices but I have NO idea what to put on them. None. Help?

Good rule of thumb is 50% off retail value if in mint condition, then maybe add $5 for shipping for a standard sized workbook, up to $10 extra for a heavy text. If the item is not mint, the value should go down more. Ask yourself, how much would you pay for it used, not being able to see it and hold it but going on faith that the item is as described?

Some things have great resale value: Tapestry of Grace, Chalkdust, etc. where you could recoup 80% of your cost or more. You could just research by going to the FOR SALE section and using the search option for that section only to see if anyone has sold the exact same stuff you have to sell.

You could also ask people to make you an offer. :o

For text books I add about $2-3 per book up to about 5 books, then add a dollar for each additional book for a large set. I only ship to the lower 48 for this price. $1 for thin books 1cm or less, chapter books, or printed pages (things that can be sent in a plain manila envelope).

I pay for delivery confirmation and suggest the buyer purchase insurance. If it is and expensive book, a large set or paid for by Pay Pal, I will buy insurance myself if the buyer didn't.

This may be tedious if you have a big list, but I will sometimes look up the item I'm selling and see what others have sold it for on the swap board.

Then I'll price accordingly, or offer a lower price if I'm in a hurry to get rid of stuff.

This may be tedious if you have a big list, but I will sometimes look up the item I'm selling and see what others have sold it for on the swap board.

Then I'll price accordingly, or offer a lower price if I'm in a hurry to get rid of stuff.

I check what the current price for Priority Mail Flat Rate is - I think postage is going up as I am typing this, so I need to call the post office again. If material can fit into the Flat Rate envelope or a flat rate box, then charge the amount on top of what you would like to make on the transaction.

If there are several items one person purchases or you have curriculum packages that will not fit into the flat rate, it gets a little trickier. You may have to check media rates or charge for 2 flat rates if more than one envelope/box is needed.

Now and then I think I undercharge for postage but the bottom line is I am rid of the books and someone else can use them - and I have a little money left.