Menu

Tips for introducing our new dog to our resident cats...please help!

Lord willing, tomorrow we'll bring home our new dog. She's a year and a half old, the same age as our cats. Anyway, our cats have ZERO experience around dogs, and I'm really worried that their world will be turned upside down. This was their house first, and I want them to feel comfortable and safe here. Please give me some tips for smoothing the transition for them. Thanks!

When we got our puppy many years ago, we already had two older housecats. They tolerated him, although one was more afraid of him in the beginning...he was too playful/rompy for her. For awhile, we had "upstairs cats" and a "downstairs dog".

Years later, after the older cats had both died, we still had the dog and we got two younger cats (not kittens). I worried more for our dog because one of the cats (female) tried to bully him. One night the dog was just lying on the kitchen floor and the cat bristled all up and started stalking him. He was clearly afraid of her and jumped up and started backing into a corner. I was afraid she'd scratch his eyes out or something and I didn't want to aggravate her. Luckily, I had a laundry basket nearby so I quickly put it over the cat like a cage and rescued my cowardly 75 lb. golden retriever. This incident didn't happen right away, so you might want to watch out for this even if you think they're getting along!

Anyway, in my very limited experience, if the dog is a mellow sort it will be more at risk than the cats for sneak attacks. Cats are good at finding hiding places under beds, high places, etc. that the dog may not be able to get to.

Depending on the cats, you might need to watch out for what our vet called "spiteful peeing" in case they're jealous or angry about the dog. My dh kept our dog on a leash and with him during the getting-acquainted stage. We also put a baby gate on the kitchen door so that the dog was limited to the kitchen/family room area initially and the cats had the rest of the house to themselves (and they could easily jump the gate if they wanted to be there).

I hope all goes well!

I hope you get some good advice. I need it too! :0) We have a rescued cat and have had her for over 3 years now. Last summer, we brought home a 9 week old boxer pup. The cat prettied much ignored him at first, but when he tried to chase her or sniff her, she definitely showed him who was boss (which he needed). But we were so surprised that he kept trailing her and kept getting swatted. He's mellowed out much more now that he's approaching a year old. But all of the sudden, 8 months later, she's been really attacking him when he appears to be doing nothing wrong. I will see her hiding and then she will jump out at him, scaring him to death. Or the cat will chase him around the living room. He's run head first into the wall trying to escape her. THEN last week, my husband caught her pooping on the dog's bed! Because of her behaviour, we made her stay outside for a few days (she's an indoor/outdoor cat) and she seems to have toned down. I don't know what the answer is. I thought by now they would at least tolerate each other, but like additional children, I'm constantly getting on to the both of them for bothering the other! :0)

Good luck to you! I'm sure it depends a bit on the temperament of the cat. I had a cat once who was fine with the new dog, but my current cat isn't the friendliest thing anyway. It's no surprise to me that she hates him.

I hope you get some good advice. I need it too! :0) We have a rescued cat and have had her for over 3 years now. Last summer, we brought home a 9 week old boxer pup. The cat prettied much ignored him at first, but when he tried to chase her or sniff her, she definitely showed him who was boss (which he needed). But we were so surprised that he kept trailing her and kept getting swatted. He's mellowed out much more now that he's approaching a year old. But all of the sudden, 8 months later, she's been really attacking him when he appears to be doing nothing wrong. I will see her hiding and then she will jump out at him, scaring him to death. Or the cat will chase him around the living room. He's run head first into the wall trying to escape her. THEN last week, my husband caught her pooping on the dog's bed! Because of her behaviour, we made her stay outside for a few days (she's an indoor/outdoor cat) and she seems to have toned down. I don't know what the answer is. I thought by now they would at least tolerate each other, but like additional children, I'm constantly getting on to the both of them for bothering the other! :0)

Good luck to you! I'm sure it depends a bit on the temperament of the cat. I had a cat once who was fine with the new dog, but my current cat isn't the friendliest thing anyway. It's no surprise to me that she hates him.

That's what I'm afraid of! I just want them to coexist in harmony hahahaha! I hope things get better for you! Btw, I miss your blog! But I hope you're enjoying life without it!

When we got our puppy many years ago, we already had two older housecats. They tolerated him, although one was more afraid of him in the beginning...he was too playful/rompy for her. For awhile, we had "upstairs cats" and a "downstairs dog".

Years later, after the older cats had both died, we still had the dog and we got two younger cats (not kittens). I worried more for our dog because one of the cats (female) tried to bully him. One night the dog was just lying on the kitchen floor and the cat bristled all up and started stalking him. He was clearly afraid of her and jumped up and started backing into a corner. I was afraid she'd scratch his eyes out or something and I didn't want to aggravate her. Luckily, I had a laundry basket nearby so I quickly put it over the cat like a cage and rescued my cowardly 75 lb. golden retriever. This incident didn't happen right away, so you might want to watch out for this even if you think they're getting along!

Anyway, in my very limited experience, if the dog is a mellow sort it will be more at risk than the cats for sneak attacks. Cats are good at finding hiding places under beds, high places, etc. that the dog may not be able to get to.

Depending on the cats, you might need to watch out for what our vet called "spiteful peeing" in case they're jealous or angry about the dog. My dh kept our dog on a leash and with him during the getting-acquainted stage. We also put a baby gate on the kitchen door so that the dog was limited to the kitchen/family room area initially and the cats had the rest of the house to themselves (and they could easily jump the gate if they wanted to be there).

I hope all goes well!

Thank you for the tips and well wishes! I am SO AFRAID of spiteful peeing. I would NOT be able to handle that. Cat pee is the worst. I hope it doesn't come to that. I just feel guilty, because the cats live such a comfy secure life now, I don't want that to change. I will keep the dog on a leash at all times while near the cats at first. Thank you!