Menu

Yellowish eyes ...

Jaundice is a strong possibility. Is anything else out of the ordinary? I'd probably phone the doctor for blood testing.

a lot lately. I don't know if there is any connection there. I don't have insurance so unless it is critical I am not going to go to the doctor. I don't have any money to pay the doctor with.

And I was often confused about when it was serious vs. when it was just something they were "getting over". General skin color confused me b/c some were more pale, and my #3 has a sort of tan/olive natural skin color. The Dr. said that if the whites of their eyes are still yellow, then it's a jaundice issue. If it's just yellow skin (but whites of eyes are white), then it's not jaundice, but either something else, or nothing.

Now, those are baby anecdotes. I imagine there are other things that may apply to adults with skin discoloration issues. I wouldn't mess around with it though. Stop eating all yellow/orange veggies. If it's not better in a full day (I think that's what the Dr. told me once about the kids on a couple of occassions when they were little), go to the Dr.

If it's the whites of your eyes, I'd spend the $ and get it checked out. A simple blood test will tell you if you need to step it further through the Dr. chain. I bet you could get this at any walk-in clinic.....

HTH and GL! - Stacey

Have you been eating a lot of carrots or taking high doses of vitamin A? That can cause it too.

There is a name for this - carotenemia. It does cause yellowish skin, but doesn't cause the eyes to turn yellow.

Luanne- it isn't normal and you really need to see a doctor. Sorry. :grouphug:

ETA: I wanted to clarify something- carotenemia is "The presence of excess carotene in the blood, often resulting in yellowing of the skin." It is commonly caused by excess intake of carrots or other yellow/orange vegetables in young kids.

Yellow eyes is jaundice, and is never cause by carotenemia.

Edited by Perry

There is a name for this - carotenemia. It does cause yellowish skin, but doesn't cause the eyes to turn yellow.

Luanne- it isn't normal and you really need to see a doctor. Sorry. :grouphug:

ETA: I wanted to clarify something- carotenemia is "The presence of excess carotene in the blood, often resulting in yellowing of the skin." It is commonly caused by excess intake of carrots or other yellow/orange vegetables in young kids.

Yellow eyes is jaundice, and is never cause by carotenemia.

Thank you for clearing this up. I don't want to give erroneous information.

a lot lately. I don't know if there is any connection there. I don't have insurance so unless it is critical I am not going to go to the doctor. I don't have any money to pay the doctor with.

Luanne, those are not good symptoms. You really need to see a doctor. Go to an emergency room if you have to, but please go. When you get the bill, you can arrange payment later.

Go see a dr. ASAP! This is not something you mess with. The sheer fact that you ASKED all of us says that YOU know it's not normal. I know you were looking for a response to the effect of, "It's okay. you'll be fine. save your money." but we're not going to say that to you. You NEED to see a doctor. Tell them upfront you need to work out payment plans. Most will work with you on that.

My husband has a rare disease called Gilbert's syndrome. When he is stressed his eyes turn yellow. There are other things that can cause his eyes to turn yellow as well (drug interactions, etc.). It also makes him very tired.

I agree - you should go to the doctor.

There was a time in my life when I was without adequate insurance. (I had some coverage, but the yearly deductible was something like $1000, so I had to pay so much up front). Anyway, I do know that it can be hard to handle, especially when something seems really wrong with your body.

I had a thyroid problem, and in the end, had my thyroid out (cancer). But at the time, the way I approached getting some medical care -- and paying for it -- was this:

1. I'd call a doctor's office, explain that I had very minimal coverage, was a full-time graduate student, and could not afford to pay the full bill. Did the physician ever make "other arrangements?" I'd leave that question open-ended, because at times the doctor would either waive the office visit fee, give free samples (to save on prescription costs), or spread the payments out over months or nothing at all. But at least I had asked.

2. I also had to learn -- the hard way, I think -- to prioritize my health and my ability to lead a productive, active life. It's a tough call, racking up those (uncovered) bills, especially when you know that a visit leads to a test, which leads to another visit, which leads to another test..... and on and on. It's exhausting emotionally and physically, because just when your health is at its lowest point, your bills go up. Not fun. But your health does matter, Luanne. I think I waited too long to really advocate for my health the way I would have done if I'd had insurance. It would have been better for me to drop out of school and get a job with coverage, then work on my health/medical treatments while keeping that employment. School would have been there at the end of the road, and I would have been healthier and more able to get through it faster.

What I'm saying is that sometimes it might be best to rearrange your entire life to prioritize and focus on your health. Perhaps having medical coverage is worth letting something else go.

I hope that in some way this helps you in your tough situation. Please, the other ladies are right... go get checked out.

Sincerely,

Beth in NJ

Edited by Sahamamama

Luanne, any updates? I'm praying for you. If you're still undecided about going in, please get checked out. I lost my friend Janet (itsmejanet on here) to pancreatic cancer last year and one of the symptoms that stood out was yellowish-looking, itchy skin. I don't want to scare you and there are many reasons for your symptoms, but it is something to look at closely! Let us know how you are doing.

My husband has a rare disease called Gilbert's syndrome. When he is stressed his eyes turn yellow. There are other things that can cause his eyes to turn yellow as well (drug interactions, etc.). It also makes him very tired.

I agree - you should go to the doctor.

I hope this is all Luanne has. A friend's daughter has Gilbert's as well. They discovered it when she came down with mono.

K

I talked to a doctor and they said to take it easy for 3 or 4 days and drink plenty of liquids. I did that and my eyes aren't yellowish anymore. Thank you all for your help and advice in this matter.

Wow, so it was basically that you were getting dehydrated?

What a relief!!!

Thanks so much for posting the update -- I've been wondering how you were doing, and it's great to hear that it's something a little rest and some liquids will cure! :hurray:

Cat

yellowing can be caused by UV exposure and dehydration (dry eye) due to excessive wind (eg. driving with the window rolled down, or skiing or boating etc.), causing the clear covering of your eye (conjunctiva) to thicken and loose its opacity and so the white of the eye will gradually appear yellow. sorry for the run-on sentence, it's 1am :)