Menu

is anyone doing mainly ABeka (ie: the kit)?

Peg Graham

I've been homeschooling 12 years now (my oldest is graduating in June. We started homeschooling him when he was 6). We'll be using all of ABeka for 5th and 9th grades (9th grade with the DVD's, Program 2).

I've never used any one publisher for an entire grade level before, so we'll see how it goes! I really needed to simplify this year, and I know ABeka's materials are solid. I'll use something else for math for my 5th grader, only for the sake of continuity.

we will be going all Abeka for the first time this next year, in the 3rd grade, I tried out alot of the 2nd grade subjects and they really did well and I was not stressed about "school"...I am not sure we will be able to stick with their spelling, its hard! and ds is a poor speller. Oh, forgot we will be using Answers in Genesis materials for Bible. We will also be adding in for fun and exposure: Song School Latin, Discovering Great American Artists and Pianimals. I also keep a read-aloud going.

I don't do Abeka as strict as it is written, I do open book tests and quizzes for Science, Health and History, at this level I think exposure is

the key not focusing on grades. I also don't do all the seat work, I pick and choose. :)

Just wondering...this Fall will be my first year homeschooling my 3rd grader (she'll be in 3rd). I am researching methods and came acrossed ABeka's kit.

Any ideas?

Since I started hsing in 1982, it has been my experience that the parents and dc most likely to be burned out are the ones using all ABeka. This isn't true for *all* ABeka users, of course, but I have heard that repeatedly.

I like ABeka's science, and beginning (first grade) phonics instruction. History isn't bad. But I wouldn't recommend ABeka for either English (grammar/composition) or math. Not crazy about the spelling/poetry, either.

If you're pretty sure you'd like to start out with textbooks, my recommendation would be Rod and Staff Publishers. You can request a free catalog, scope and sequence, and curriculum samples by calling (606) 522-4348.

We used A Beka's K5 kit this year. It was ok. I am very happy with the phonics program and the math program. I was less than thrilled with Social Studies and science. Although, when I was teaching school, I used A Beka's science books for my 6-8th graders and I really liked their science books. So, I guess they get better as the grades go up. Next year for first grade we will be using all A Beka Language Arts and Math, we'll be using BJU Heritage Studies and science I'll be doing as TWTM recommends for science for this age.

I've always done A Beka for Kindergarten and Pre-school. I've used bits and pieces from 1st grade on. I think if you're just getting started, and you want a lot of guidence, you can't go wrong with A Beka. I recommend it to new moms and know a lot of Moms who have used it to transition from Public School to homeschool. The instructor's guides are scripted, the workbooks are colorful, and it has a very solid foundation in the 3r's. If you use A Beka this year, you can research and explore other curriculum and then decide what to do from there.

I think the only way A Beka burns you or your kids out is if you do EVERY single assignment and EVERY single problem on EVERY single worksheet. You have to remember it is written for classroom use, so there's a lot of busy work. Don't feel obligated to do every single assignment or every single problem. You're in charge :) Any and every curriculum has the potential for burnout. Especially if you feel like you have to do it all.

FWIW, we currently use A Beka for Math and English. Next year, we'll be using A Beka only for Math. My youngest is in K5 and she uses the whole program. We do about every other lesson, and we only HS 3-4 days a week with her. Next year, we'll continue to use their Math for 1st grade, and "A Handbook for Reading." We'll switch to Explode the Code for phonics.

My oldest has been using their Language 3 workbook for Grammar. It has been a nice change from Rod and Staff, but it is weak on the writing assignments. We're going back to Rod and Staff for 4th grade next year. My oldest is also doing their 3rd grade math. She does not do all the problems on the page, and we did not start at the beginning of the book. When we're done, we won't have done every lesson, but that's OK :001_smile:, she'll still be ready for their 4th grade Math in the Fall.

HTH!

Blessings!

Dorinda

We used Abeka our 2nd full year homeschooling (2nd grade). I liked it a lot - after I tossed the teacher's manuals, at least. When I tried to follow the teacher's manual, I felt like an enormous failure (you had to write gobs of stuff on the blackboard first thing every day, recite things until my daughter was sick of hearing it, lol). I tossed the TMs and went forward from there and really liked it. With that said, after 2nd grade, I moved along to a more eclectic curriculum (after reading TWTM and finding lots of things I liked even better than Abeka). :)

We used Abeka from 1st to 3rd as we thought ds would go back to a private school which used the curriculum. I will say if you go with Abeka, don't try to do it all! You will drive yourself crazy.

Looking back I wish I had researched more styles of education before we started and then again after the first six months or year. I would have changed directions sooner.

I did like some parts of Abeka and would suggest you attend a fair and truly look at all the materials. I never did buy the entire kit and never bought the teacher's guides or curriculum guides for science, history, or health.

I started off with 100% Abeka... and still use it quite a bit (especially with the younger grades, because it is easy to keep up).

I plan to continue using Abeka in one form or another through High School.

I think everyone here has pretty much said it all... don't try to do it all! However, if you have a child who just "has" to do it all, getting in their way can be just as problematic. :D

The only thing you may want to add is IEW (or something along those lines). From a cursory glance through the grammar book (which encompasses some of the writing, though not all of it), Abeka does an excellent job on reports, and things like letters and envelopes -- but there isn't a lot of variety in the assignments. For example, no written poetry (poetry is memorized and is part of the spelling curriculum), no short stories, no memoirs, journal writing, etc.

They do an excellent job, IMHO, on reports and letters. And, I like that they provide samples of finished assignments.

I know history and science and health in Grades K-2 is pretty much a joke. I think, though I may be wrong, that things pick up a bit in 3rd grade. I know by later elementary grades (5-6) they are much more worthwhile.

The best thing you could do would be to see it at a homeschool fair, or hotel show (they do things all across the country).

However, if you are looking for a curriculum in a box (kit) kind of things, there are a variety you can choose from.

My favorite is K12 (although, it's not Christian), followed by Covenant Home and Abeka, then Veritas Press, then Christian Liberty Academy...

Others you could look into would be Calvert and BJU.

And, what people have said about Abeka -- about not doing everything, and in some cases, tossing the curriculum guide/teacher's manuals -- can be said for pretty much every one of the "kitted" programs.

Sorry to be rather opinionated on this one, but oh my gosh, you can do so much better than all A Beka-in-a-box. You have so many more options that I think you'd like better!

I've never used A Beka with my kids, but I'm familiar with the materials; I had to teach with them at one point as a classroom teacher, and about 20 years ago while attending college at their college/Bible school/publishing arm/ministry I worked for A Beka Books and scored student work for their correspondence school. (Yes, I thankfully transferred to a real and accredited college and over the years have totally re-vamped my educational philosophy--and view of Christianity for that matter. A long journey!)

Here's my two-cents worth on A Beka Books:

• Skill subjects (English and math): These, while at least being traditional and substantive, utilize drill, drill, drill via worksheet to the point that many students can kick back "right answers" but in my experience didn't necessarily gain conceptual understanding or long-term retention. The writing instruction seems formulaic, and there's little to no emphasis that I've seen on real-world application of mathematical concepts or application of grammar skills to writing. There's just a lot of busywork. ("Seatwork" is what it's called in their schools. And lots of it.)
  • Content subjects (Science, History, Literature): These materials are what exasperated me most. The literature books are highly sanitized anthologies of short stories, poems, and excerpts and snippets from this and that, introduced by a short paragraph telling the student what to think about it and followed by leading questions that make sure he did think that about it and not something else. As an English teacher, I was more put off by this than I can tell you. I saw more than one student develop a hatred for what they thought was "literature" through this approach. Real, whole books followed by real, open-minded discussion is not what you're going to get here. The history as well is selective in what is included and highly biased, I thought, in a providential, fundamentalist kind of way that struck me as subtly--and often not subtly--unaccepting of even other Christian traditions (Catholic, Orthodox, mainline Protestants).

Bottom line: If you're wanting a graded put-together curriculum, how about Calvert or Sonlight? Sonlight especially seems to have some good base programs for math and language AND a rich variety of REAL literature. We put together our own materials, but if I were wanting to go this route, I'd probably choose Sonlight. The last poster had some great suggestions, too, though! Look around!

I'm going to make a quick exit now, having possibly :leaving:

rankled a few A Beka users (oops!), but I felt compelled to give some honest feedback here! Hope you find a good fit soon!!

I'm going to make a quick exit now, having possibly rankled a few A Beka users (oops!), but I felt compelled to give some honest feedback here! Hope you find a good fit soon!!

:lol: not rankled... very well thought-out feedback

I have used exclusively A Beka for my dd's (7 and 4). I LOVE, LOVE their phonics program! I am not going to continue it for my 7 yr old going into 3rd grade though. I am going into the classical ed. and going with classical literature, now that she is an established reader. I did also like their math program, but will also jump into Saxon for my daughter into 4th grade because I have heard it gets complicated in 4th! I never purchased the kits for K4-3rd grade. I just bought everything used online. I have never used anything but A Beka, but I know I really found their Teacher Curicullums helpful.:001_smile: