Menu

So what comes after Latin Prep?

JudoMom

I'm switching my older 2 boys to Latin Prep. If it turns out to be the program for us and we stick with this through Latin Prep 3, what would we move into next? Depending on if it took 3 or 4 years, my older 2 would be in either 6th/7th or 7th/8th.

I am sure Laura will chime in but I think she was intending on going to Cambridge 4 after SYRWTLL3. It is a reading program and so promotes fluency.

We have already used Cambridge a lot before LP so if we get that far in Latin Prep, we will probably use Cambridge 4 too.

I'm switching my older 2 boys to Latin Prep. If it turns out to be the program for us and we stick with this through Latin Prep 3, what would we move into next? Depending on if it took 3 or 4 years, my older 2 would be in either 6th/7th or 7th/8th.

It might be a nice change to do Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata, perhaps in combination with the third volume of SYRWTLL (the second tier of Galore Park's Latin program).

So if I were to do Latin prep and then SYRWTLL and I wanted to move into Henle or Cambridge afterwards. Would I start with bk 1 pf those or would we need to skip some levels?

If you were going to use Cambridge you would go to Book 4 i think- because you would have learned all the grammar already.

I don't know about Henle.

We will be using SYRWLL 3 after LP3. After that, the boys will be going to school, so it's out of my hands. Calvin will be following the curriculum of the UK GCSE exam (similar in level to SAT subject tests), but I don't know what texts the school will use.

My previous plan had been, after SYRWTLL 3, to use the free Cambridge online activities to build up some more vocabulary, covering books 1-3. After that I was planning on using the Cambridge online tutoring service.

Best wishes

Laura

Okay I thought you do LP1-3 and then move into SYRWTLL 1. So you move into bk 3 then? So it goes LP 1-3 then SYRWTLL 3?
Both programs are ab initio, but SYRWTLL is for older kids and moves at a faster pace. It's my understanding that after finishing LP some material in SYRWTLL 3 will be familiar, but most will be new.

It might be a nice change to do Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata, perhaps in combination with the third volume of SYRWTLL (the second tier of Galore Park's Latin program).

I am so glad you suggested "Lingua Latina", I nearly did so (but I have no standing as a "latinist").

Lingua Latina kept me buoyed while trudging through Wheelocks unaided (other than the Grote supplemental book). LLs gift for teaching though reading, and getting one past looking at Latin as a series of "grammar puzzles" and to get a student actually reading is its strong point. I certainly found it "exciting" to be able to read extended passages with full (or nearly-full) comprehension.

I do wish the Lingua Latina: A College Companion book had been out when I started LL as I eventually ran into problems I could not solve on my own. But I plan to re-boot my Latin studies with the inclusion of this work to save me when I get lost.

Bill

Both programs are ab initio, but SYRWTLL is for older kids and moves at a faster pace. It's my understanding that after finishing LP some material in SYRWTLL 3 will be familiar, but most will be new.

Somewhat along the lines of "what to do next", I've decided to use SYRWTLL 1 as a review book this summer, following LP2. It definitely moves a lot faster than LP does, but since SYR1 only covers familiar material, I think it will work well as a quick (largely oral) summer review, to keep things fresh. Next summer, after LP3, we'll plan to do SYR2. Then on to SYR3 in the fall (at a slower pace, because some of the material will be new).

After that, I'm not 100% sure what we'll be doing. I may pull in some of Cambridge or Lingua Latina for additional reading practice. We might jump straight into Cambridge 4... Or maybe I'd even take a small step backwards and work through Wheelock very quickly, focusing mostly on the reader...

Somewhat along the lines of "what to do next", I've decided to use SYRWTLL 1 as a review book this summer, following LP2. It definitely moves a lot faster than LP does, but since SYR1 only covers familiar material, I think it will work well as a quick (largely oral) summer review, to keep things fresh. Next summer, after LP3, we'll plan to do SYR2. Then on to SYR3 in the fall (at a slower pace, because some of the material will be new).

After that, I'm not 100% sure what we'll be doing. I may pull in some of Cambridge or Lingua Latina for additional reading practice. We might jump straight into Cambridge 4... Or maybe I'd even take a small step backwards and work through Wheelock very quickly, focusing mostly on the reader...

Is there a chart anywhere that lines up all of the Latin programs as far as what is equivalent to another? See, I had no idea that you'd go straight into Cambridge 4 after SWR3, or that Wheelock's would be a step backwards.

See, I had no idea that you'd go straight into Cambridge 4 after SWR3, or that Wheelock's would be a step backwards.

Many Latin programs (Cambridge, Oxford, Ecce, Henle, Wheelock) conclude their programs with authentic Latin readings in anthology form. (For Cambridge and Oxford, this is the fourth volume. Ecce's reader is in the third volume. The third and fourth volumes of Henle are primarily readings. Wheelock has two appendices of readings at the end of the grammar book and there is a separate volume, Wheelock's Latin Reader, which is intended to follow (not accompany) the first book. You could also consider some transitional type readers from Bolchazy-Carducci or Focus Publishing (two companies which specialize in Latin readers for secondary and university students transitioning to authentic texts.)

GP probably suggests SYRWTLL3 as a follow up to LP because SYRWTLL3 goes into more detail than LP with regard to Latin grammar AND because the readings in SYRWTLL3 are adapted from original authors (Caesar, Cicero), whereas the stories in LP were likely written by the author of the textbook to illuminate the grammar points being made in the textbook. SYRWTLL3 would transition you from textbook Latin to authentic Roman authors.

Wheelock's wouldn't necessarily be "a step backwards" after LP. Wheelock's uses readings from authentic Roman authors throughout (heavily adapted at the beginning, yielding to the actual words as the book progresses.) You might choose to begin your review somewhere in the middle. The appendices of Wheelock are the "Loci Antiqui" and "Loci Immutati" which are two small collections of authentic Latin readings. The followup volume to Wheelock's Latin Grammar is the Wheelock's Latin Reader, which is yet another Latin anthology.

I still think Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata might be a nice change of pace and agree with Spy Car that this would give the student a chance to experience the reading of Latin, which is different from translating Latin. You could still work through SYRWTLL3 if you wanted to do so. LL/Oerberg moves towards authentic Latin readings as well and you'd be reviewing the grammar and syntax in a unique way (Oerberg is an immersion program.) The College Companion is a great English language. commentary on Oerberg.