Menu

HELP! Paxil is making me FAT

My doctor put me on Paxil about 4 months ago. I have a heart condition and I am pretty high strung (which aggravates the heart condition). He put me on the Paxil to mellow me out and calm the constant heart palpitations. It worked. Wonderfully. In fact my stress level and palpitations are much better!

BUT

I have put on about 8 pounds since I started it!!!! The doctor says this is a normal side effect for Paxil. :tongue_smilie: Anyone have any experience with this? Are there any SSRIs that do NOT cause weight gain?

My doctor put me on Paxil about 4 months ago. I have a heart condition and I am pretty high strung (which aggravates the heart condition). He put me on the Paxil to mellow me out and calm the constant heart palpitations. It worked. Wonderfully. In fact my stress level and palpitations are much better!

BUT

I have put on about 8 pounds since I started it!!!! The doctor says this is a normal side effect for Paxil. :tongue_smilie: Anyone have any experience with this? Are there any SSRIs that do NOT cause weight gain?

Yes it is normal. No there are not any SSRIs that don't have the potential side effect of weight gain. There is an SNRI, Wellbutrin, that is considered weight neutral, but it is most definitely not indicated for anxiety (it can make it way worse).

Unfortunately, the part of these meds that messes with metabolism tends to be the part that makes them work so well neurologically. Also unfortunately, the only solution appears to be an absolutely firm diet (eg: measuring out foods, sometimes working with a dietician) and an equally firm exercise program that is heavy on the cardiovascular.

asta