Menu

Switching to Singapore math...questions

arcara

I'm considering switching to Singapore math from Saxon for my 4th grader next year. She is currently finishing Saxon 65, and I think she would place into 5A when I look at the placement test. I'm drawn to the Standards edition over the U.S. edition (but I'm definitely opened to recs regarding this!) and I'm wondering what I would need. Do I need the TM? It's very expensive. They don't have the HIG for this level yet. Do I need the tests? Extra practice book?

My dd has done CWP books 3 & 4 this year, and I have books 5 & 6 and plan to use them with whichever math curriculum we finally choose.

Have you had her take the placement test?

From what I understand the HIGs through 5B *should* be out by the fall. For what it's worth, I'm switching to Standards Ed because it includes things that the US Ed does not. I can't remember a lot of specifics but one main thing was negative numbers.

I'd have her take the placement test. In my experience as certified math teacher (I've taught both high school and middle school), it's better for kids to have too much repetition than not enough repetition. One of my college professors feels the same way. He says that he'd rather have a calculus student who has never been exposed to calculus than one who was rushed through maths and, therefore, doesn't have a solid foundation in basic math and algebra.

I taught 4 kids through 6B without a teaching manual and I am not mathy. However, I did need solutions manuals. The explanation in the text was enough for my kids. We went over what is in the text orally or with white boards, then they did the corresponding material in the workbooks. Occasionally, I'd pull in some manipulatives for certain concepts. I remember having to teach a bit more thoroughly than the text presented long division and something to do with fractions (maybe reducing fractions?) but that was it.