Menu

easy grammar question

Love2Smile

My girls are coming out of public school and entering 6th and 9th grades. They have not had A LOT of grammar in school...

NO diagramming at all.

I am wondering what grade level I should start easy grammar with.

any suggestions?

Does it have alot of review in the beginning??

My experience with Easy Grammar is that it does not contain diagramming. of course, that was 4-5 years ago so perhaps it's changed. :confused:

Personally, if they haven't had a lot of grammar, I would get something like Analytical Grammar or Jr. Analytical Grammar. Something with teeth, ya know? Something to get those concepts learned, embedded. I don't mean something difficult or advanced and hard to jump into like Rod & Staff or BJU, I mean something that will make up for lost time.

For me, Easy Grammar (no offense to those who like it) is just too easy...especially for a 9th grader.

Of course, that is only my lousy 2 cent opinion. If EG is what you like, I say go for it! :D

I'd consider looking at Rod and Staff. After doing minimal grammar with my two boys, I started into Rod and Staff 5 when they were halfway through 5th and 6th grade. We did about half the exercises and often covered a couple of lessons a day. They now have finished Book 6 and are feeling very comfortable with grammar (including diagramming).

With your 9th grader, you might want to consider starting with Book 6 and then going on through Books 7 and 8.

I've also found that supplementing with proofreading exercises like Critical Thinking's Editor in Chief books is extremely helpful in making grammar studies applicable.

Yvonne

Growing With Grammar does teach diagramming.

Table of Content for 6th grade. http://www.growingwithgrammar.com/6thgradestudmanindex.html

Table of Content for their new 7th grade book. http://www.growingwithgrammar.com/7thgradestudmanindex.html

They are working on other grade levels. GWG's 8th grade curriculum will be available in the spring of 2010.