Menu

Pennsylvania Homeschoolers

Quick Question:

Currently, we live in New Jersey, a state that is very homeschool friendly. I was hoping we could stay here to homeschool, especially as the children move more towards "official school age." But, it looks as though my husband's company might transfer him to PA in a few years -- nothing immediate, just a slot they're hoping to fill (with him :glare:) in about 2-3 years... just when I'd have to keep copious records in PA. Darn.

Any advice (besides "Stay in NJ")? Should I start keeping detailed records of what we do while living here in NJ, even though I don't need them for this state? Should I test when my oldest reaches 5.5 years (when she would be starting K if she went to PS)? Should I learn the pros and cons of PA's cyberschool program? What can you tell me about the day-to-day realities of homeschooling in PA? Thanks! :bigear:

Beth in NJ

No problems really.

THe beginning of the year you need to turn in an affidavit that the hs supervisor(you) has at least a high school diploma or equivalent and no criminals are living in your house. You give a list of very basic objectives for each child and a notarized statement that you are following the law on that form.

Turn that into the school super, get a receipt.

If the child is older than 8 years only.

Then towards the end of the year you get an evaluation done of the child. Most often showing the log book, portfolio which gives some examples of the childs work, etc. Some really go big with these and others keep it very minimal.

THen you turn this into the super with the eval's letter. That is about it.

I simplified some of the items and did not mention the dates but if you are not here yet do not worry.

The only concern would be Philly area as they have their own laws and rules and I cannot help you there.

For testing in PAthey only need to be tested in 3rd, 5th and 8 th grade HOWEVER, you do not need to report a grade level only an age so if your child is past a certain level of testing it is not a big deal.

I also cannot help you with cyberschooling other than from what friends have told me. You are run by their rules as a home public school, free supplies but their schedule.

That pretty much covers the very basic outline. http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/index.html This has many examples of forms and dates and pretty much anything else that you can think of for HS in PA.

Good luck

Read the state law carefully. You don't have to announce anything with the school system until they are 8 years old, so it looks like you have some time to get acclimated. (Unless you're in Philly. The compulsary age of education there is 6, so it might be different than the rest of the state. I don't know...)

Just read that law carefully.

Oh, goodness! Relax. You don't have to test your child until 3rd grade; you don't have to register until age 8. No worries.

Once your child is 8, you'll need to follow PA homeschool law. It's simple. You type up your educational objectives, fill out a form that says you intend to homeschool, get that notarized, and submit it to your district. At the end of the year, you have your child evaluated (figure $40-$80 for this), and take the eval letter plus your portfolio (if required by your district...they vary on what they want) and turn it in. Finis.

Yes, there are a multitude of cyber charter schools here in PA, but don't jump into one unless it's what you want. Homeschooling in PA is simple, and there's no need to join a cyber charter unless you really want it.

High school homeschoolers in PA can earn a state homeschool diploma. The standards are high, and the diploma is fantastic. Or the kids can do a cyber charter. Or they can just do regular homeschool and you can grant a diploma. The door is wide open.

Don't fret. Nothing will change drastically when you move over here!

Ria

What everyone else said.

Also, if the homeschool regulations make you nervous, I really doubt you'd be interested in the cyber charter programs. Other than having the children at home and tweaking their schedules a bit, it's absolutely public school at home, not a homeschool program.

What everyone else said.

Also, if the homeschool regulations make you nervous, I really doubt you'd be interested in the cyber charter programs. Other than having the children at home and tweaking their schedules a bit, it's absolutely public school at home, not a homeschool program.

Well, you have a certain curriculum provided for you, but what you do with it, and outside of it, is your choice. We really enjoyed our cyber charter, and used it along with Sonlight and other things of our choosing. The cyber charters are all different...

Ria

Thanks, everyone!

No, we're not interested in the cyberschool at all, I just thought I'd ask for some feedback about it. Thanks.

I know we have time (our girls are little), but just the thought of HSing in PA makes me feel like I'll have the state looking over my shoulder. And I don't believe they have any right to do so.

For the yearly evaluation, who does this -- a state certified teacher? Anyone with a college degree?

About the portfolios -- does the school superintendent keep these, or do they get returned? Who else sees my child's personal work?

I don't know... sorry, everyone who homeschools comfortably in PA, there's just something about "registering" and "notarizing" and "evaluating" and "reporting" that makes me feel like someone's going through my underwear drawer. :001_huh:

Thanks, everyone!

No, we're not interested in the cyberschool at all, I just thought I'd ask for some feedback about it. Thanks.

I know we have time (our girls are little), but just the thought of HSing in PA makes me feel like I'll have the state looking over my shoulder. And I don't believe they have any right to do so.

For the yearly evaluation, who does this -- a state certified teacher? Anyone with a college degree?

About the portfolios -- does the school superintendent keep these, or do they get returned? Who else sees my child's personal work?

I don't know... sorry, everyone who homeschools comfortably in PA, there's just something about "registering" and "notarizing" and "evaluating" and "reporting" that makes me feel like someone's going through my underwear drawer. :001_huh:

As for the portfolio, you are supposed to keep samples of work in each subject, showing progression through the year. The evaluator looks at this. Some districts want the portfolio and go over it with a fine-toothed comb (ie, you'd better have something in there about doing your annual fire safety work....even if it's just a coloring sheet and a note that you had a family fire drill). Other districts don't bother with the porfolios at all, but you have to keep them anyway. Just in case. You'll be able to get in touch with homeschoolers in your district and find out what you need and what the district expects. It really varies.

Evaluators must be certified teachers or licensed psychologists. There are lots of people who do this each year for homeschoolers...you'll find lists. The PA Homeschoolers website lists them as well. You'll have no problem at all finding someone.

Ria

We homeschooled in PA for 2 years and now we live in NY. I will say that PA was much easier; even though we had to keep samples and see an evaluator. New York is NOT homeschool friendly!:angry: In PA, I do think it matters what district you are in. Ours was known for being homeschool friendly. Another thing I would highly recommend is to find an evaluator that is "like minded" with your parenting/teaching philosophy. My evaluator was a mennonite who homeschooled his own large family (with his wife of course). He was very helpful and non-intrusive. I have heard of stories of evaluators who were not as easy to work with. I did a lot of asking around before I chose him.

Hope that helps,

Renee

We homeschooled in PA for 2 years and now we live in NY. I will say that PA was much easier; even though we had to keep samples and see an evaluator. New York is NOT homeschool friendly!:angry: In PA, I do think it matters what district you are in. Ours was known for being homeschool friendly. Another thing I would highly recommend is to find an evaluator that is "like minded" with your parenting/teaching philosophy. My evaluator was a mennonite who homeschooled his own large family (with his wife of course). He was very helpful and non-intrusive. I have heard of stories of evaluators who were not as easy to work with. I did a lot of asking around before I chose him.

Hope that helps,

Renee

Yes, Renee, that does help, thank you. Do you mind if I ask, How did you find your evaluator? I think I understand what you mean about getting a good match. Even though we don't have to do any reporting here in New Jersey, we did think that it might be a good idea (at some future point) to hire an evaluator annually, just to look over our program and offer constructive feedback. Yet when we simply mentioned "homeschooling" to several current and former school teachers in our church, this was met with (unanimous) disapproval and scorn. So now we think that if we want some helpful feedback, we will have to find a homeschooling mom!

If and when we move to PA, the difficulty might be in finding an evaluator who is both certified by the state (I have a problem with this, philosophically) AND at least sympathetic to and supportive of homeschooling. A tough call. Thanks for the advice!