Menu

Does anyone know of a good subsitute for eggs in a cake recipe?

I don't have any and I'm wanting to make a chocolate cake. Can you use mayonnaise as a substititue? Or applesauce? I've heard that eggs are such a "magic" ingredient when it comes to their specific combination that allows them to hold the cake together and help it rise and add moistness. Can anything really substitute well? I don't want to waste the ingredients if it won't really work.

WE've had such good luck with this cake for my egg allergic son. This cake always gets rave reviews when I make it.

http://www.molliekatzen.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipe=chocolate_cake

Thanks so much for replying! I've actually made a cake very similar to this (wacky cake) and my kids loved it! I was hoping to try out the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake recipe tonight, though, because I want to make it in a few weeks for dd's birthday party, but I wanted to test it out before making it for guests. I didn't make it to the store today, though, and we are completely out of eggs. I guess I'll have to wait until I can get to the store. Thanks!

Thanks so much for replying! I've actually made a cake very similar to this (wacky cake) and my kids loved it! I was hoping to try out the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake recipe tonight, though, because I want to make it in a few weeks for dd's birthday party, but I wanted to test it out before making it for guests. I didn't make it to the store today, though, and we are completely out of eggs. I guess I'll have to wait until I can get to the store. Thanks!

Do you have a neighbor that won't mind giving you some eggs?

Do you have a neighbor that won't mind giving you some eggs?

You know, that's a good idea. Last week one neighbor borrowed some honey for a recipe. I bet she wouldn't mind letting me borrow eggs. I have borrowed eggs and flour from neighbors before. On the other hand, dh is still not home yet, maybe he could pick up eggs!

I don't have a substitute, but do you want a couple of hens? You would never run out of eggs. I currently have 20 (eggs, not hens) in my fridge, and no one has an appetite for eggs - ever again. Since spring has sprung, we are getting 5 a day. That's too many eggs. I walk around my neighborhood handing out free eggs.

I don't have any and I'm wanting to make a chocolate cake. Can you use mayonnaise as a substititue? Or applesauce? I've heard that eggs are such a "magic" ingredient when it comes to their specific combination that allows them to hold the cake together and help it rise and add moistness. Can anything really substitute well? I don't want to waste the ingredients if it won't really work.

My bf uses a regular cake mix and adds sprite. That's it:D.

I add about 1/2 tsp baking soda and a little extra oil and a little extra water. It usually turns out fine.

If you add chocolate chips to the cake, it turns out moister, too.

I don't recommend experimenting with an easy bake oven and these types of substitutions, however...

Edited by ElizabethB

Well... This may be a bit late but I use flax meal.

I don't have a substitute, but do you want a couple of hens? You would never run out of eggs. I currently have 20 (eggs, not hens) in my fridge, and no one has an appetite for eggs - ever again. Since spring has sprung, we are getting 5 a day. That's too many eggs. I walk around my neighborhood handing out free eggs.

Me too!!

I think everyone should keep a hen or two. They're so much fun, and they help out in the kitchen!!