Menu

Confused with MUS

stephanie

Ok, so I've got my Mus delta for my son and we're working through it. However, I confused as to how this curriculum can be comprehensive enough to cover concepts needed for college or even the SAT's. We've switched from Saxon which covers so many concepts- that's why we've had to switch to MUS. Ds12 isn't mastering concepts. But if we work all the way through will that be sufficient for college/ SAT's when the time comes? I know I've asked this before, but looking through the levels, it just doesn't seem like it covers enough. Maybe it's just that I'm just to Saxon and the MUS is just different, but very sufficient. I'd love to hear what everyone with experience thinks. I think this program is going to work great for my ds, and I'd love to continue without worry. Thanks!:confused:

When you use MUS, you are working concepts to the point of mastery. You don't spiral through so many topics.

Once a child knows the basic facts of fractions, decimals, multiplication and division completely, they can easily go into algebra and then pick up any concept they were not directly taught.

I haven't seen any gaps, going from beginning to Zeta.

Hi Stephanie,

I've used MUS from K and we are in Pre-Algebra now. I have a degree in math, and I am fairly certain that I will not use MUS throughout high school. I believe that MUS is great until high school. But, the high school levels are not as rigorous as several other math programs available. FWIW, ny son tested post high school in math when he was 1/2 way through Zeta. OTOH, I have a dear friend who's daughter uses MUS and she tests a little above grade level. So, genes are a factor.

Do you think that it is missing something before Algebra? I would be curious to know what that is.

From lurking on the high school boards, I have seen parents say that there students who did use MUS through high school did fine in college. Most were not in the math/science/engineering fields however.

Good luck!

Oh, we love MUS and plan to use it up until Algebra. It gives the strongest foundation of solid basic math that I have seen and the children in my house are actually understanding what they are doing. That is huge to me. We will be using VideoText for Algebra I and II, but MUS all the way until then. :)

HTH!

Warmly,

Kate

My ds is using Epsilon, and I didn't understand how he could spend the better part of a year simply on fractions. Then I saw that fractions was just the core focus used to do many other things as well. For example, he is using the fraction 1/2 in order to calcutate the area of a triangle. He's also doing a lot with linear measurements, as smaller units are fractions of larger ones. The word problems use a variety of skills as well.

I also went to the MUS website on clicked on the FAQ link. That was very helpful. I would like to use MUS through high school for at least one of my dc, but didn't want to be "dumbing down" the courses. I am satisfied that I won't be doing that, and am very happy with MUS.

Hi Stephanie,

I've used MUS from K and we are in Pre-Algebra now. I have a degree in math, and I am fairly certain that I will not use MUS throughout high school. I believe that MUS is great until high school. But, the high school levels are not as rigorous as several other math programs available. FWIW, ny son tested post high school in math when he was 1/2 way through Zeta. OTOH, I have a dear friend who's daughter uses MUS and she tests a little above grade level. So, genes are a factor.

Do you think that it is missing something before Algebra? I would be curious to know what that is.

From lurking on the high school boards, I have seen parents say that there students who did use MUS through high school did fine in college. Most were not in the math/science/engineering fields however.

Good luck!

Hi Sue,

I'm not sure if it's missing anything. That's just it- I don't know what to expect since all I've ever used is Saxon. I'm just so use to sooooooo many different concepts, and I've never seen so much focus on one concept. Don't get me wrong, that is just what my ds needs. I just didn't know when and if I needed to consider changing curriculum. My problem is that my ds12 is in 6th. He should be starting the Saxon 8/7 next year, but he's not making it now in 7/6. I need to add that he's ADHD with SPD so I always have to consider that he may take some extra time to learn concepts. I'm just so worried that by the time he needs to be starting Algebra that he won't be prepared. We are starting in Delta now, but he's zooming through. I really wanted to hammer division in for him. If we make a switch to Epsilon in a month or 2, will he be able to be where he needs to be by the time he has to start Algebra? He's my oldest so I'm not sure what to expect. I mean, if he has to can he just move at a slow pace as long as he has what's required by the college he plans to go to? I can't see him going into a math field, but he's too young to say what he wants to do. One day he wants to be a police, then the other he wants to be a missionary! Ugh! I'm rambling now! Please, tell me what to do. LOL! Thanks for the help!

If we make a switch to Epsilon in a month or 2, will he be able to be where he needs to be by the time he has to start Algebra? He's my oldest so I'm not sure what to expect. I mean, if he has to can he just move at a slow pace as long as he has what's required by the college he plans to go to?

First, let's say he finishes this:

6th - Delta & Epsilon

7th - Zeta

8th - Pre-Algebra

He will be where I was in 9th grade - ready for Algebra. That's fine. But, I wouldn't worry so much about getting it done by a certain time. I would concern myself with his understanding the material. It would be better to have a solid understanding of what has been taught than be where he is "supposed to be" without a solid understanding.

Let me prepare you. Long division in the toughest concept a child must master in Delta (and in all of elementary math, imo). Don't worry if he has to slow down. Also, be comforted that it will be revisited in Zeta when they work on decimals and in review here and there.

A tip for zooming through MUS: Give the test. If he does well (say only misses 1 or 2), skip the lesson. My son loved doing that.

Here is part of a lengthy review I've written on MUS:

Sometimes, people are concerned about the scope & sequence of MUS. If you look at the scope & sequence of some other math curriculums or what is being taught in your local elementary school, you may find it different from MUS. MUS uses a "mastery" approach. It focuses on single digit addition and subtraction in alpha, multiple digit addition and subtraction in beta, multiplication in gamma, division in delta, fractions in epsilon, and decimals in zeta, roughly 1st-6th grade. Other curriculums use a "spiral" approach. They do a little bit of addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions in each grade with each year getting progressively more difficult. This concerns some people. If they put their child in school in 3rd grade, their child may have not seen fractions at all, whereas the ps'ers would have seen simple fractions. This does not mean that the 3rd graders who have been taught simple fractions actually understand them, just that they have seen them.

But, because MUS focuses on one concept each year, I see that as one of its strengths. I think it really helps the child to know multiplication (for example) until they know it forwards, backwards, sideways, and upside down. I think it helps to CEMENT it in the child's head.

Here is a link to a thread with my entire review in it:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939

It sounds to me as if you have found a better way for your son to learn math. Relax. Know that others have used MUS all the way through high school and their kids did fine in college.

You might consider wandering over to the high school boards and asking how those who used MUS in high school scored on SATs. Or search the old boards. You'll find people who say it's not enough, but again, they are looking at math/science/engineering students.

Good luck!

Sue, thanks so much for all of that info. The encouraging part is that he does pretty good at long division, but every once in a while he acts like he's never done it before. That is why I started him in Delta. He still will have to ask for him sometimes which I expect, but I would love for him to know it all the way around. To me, division is one of those skills that once you've got it, you don't forget it. We actually did just do the tests and he made 100 until the 6th or 7th test. He's now doing area of Parallelogram which he got quickly so we'll move on. We will slow it down on volume and roman numerals b/c he definitely needs work on those. Thanks again for all the tips. I'm feeling much better about this program.

wow! This is why I love the WTM boards, the knowledge that is shared here is amazing. I bought Gamma and Delta for my 4th grader at the homeschool convention in the summer. We have only glanced through it and done a few lessons, I was unsure about it. We are using Singapore and I had planned to supplement with the MUS. After reading this thread, it now "clicks" in my head how this program works for mastery. I'm so glad you smart ladies shared your experiences with all of us!