Menu

Student will be suspended for going to Prom

But my question is, can a school legally keep someone from going to a dance on their own time just by getting someone to sign a piece of paper?

I'd think the courts would throw this one out. I can't see how the school got away with this in the first place.

I believe a private school can make any rules they want as a condition of enrollment. I went to a Christian College where we were required to sign a statement of faith and behavior standards. It was my free choice to sign or not, just as it was their right, if I choose not to sign, to deny me entrance.

And, by the way, the standards of behavior applied during Christmas and Spring Breaks (I'm not sure about summer breaks - I can't remember), and weekends whether on campus or off, though of course, enforcement was a problem when we were not on campus, and it wasn't uncommon for infractions that took place while at home on break to become known by the administration.

In this case, I think it's ridiculous for the parents and the child to sign that they will uphold certain behavior and then go to the press complaining about it when they are held to the very statement they signed. They chose this school for their son, knowing the rules, if they want to withdraw him so he doesn't have to follow the rules, that's their choice. Public education is available and free to all, private schools have the right to set their own standards.

I attended a Christian COLLEGE that forbade dancing and drinking as long as we were students of the college. This included Christmas and summer breaks. It was possible to get a waiver for dancing/toasting at a wedding, however. I knew a few people who got them.

My school never tried to claim that there was a biblical mandate for this rule. Their point was that for the sake of community, differing convictions, not being a "stumbling block", avoiding the "appearance of evil", etc. it was prudent for them to have such rules.

While I was not personally convicted not to dance or drink, I gave up these things while I was a student. I cared more about the education I received from the professors than dancing or drinking. I willingly gave up my liberty for this reason. It irked me when other complained about the rules. "You signed up for this," I would remind them. "I would love to debate with you the merits of the reasoning behind this rule. We can talk about how you would do things differently if you were in charge of this college. However, I don't care to hear about how unfair it is that the rule TO WHICH YOU AGREED is enforced."

Regarding this story, like others I wonder exactly what the principal signed. At the public school I attended part time, the form for outside students attending dances (and other activities!) simply stated something like "This student is earning passing grades and is not an ongoing discipline problem." I wonder if the principal knew upfront that the student wanted this form signed for a dance, or if he thought it was for some other purpose. We had a senior graduation party to which you could bring an outside friend if this form had been signed.

I find the school's threat to be petty. While said student and parents did agree to follow their regulations, they should have no say over behavior which is legal. Expulsion or suspension is an awful way to end a school year, for both the student and his classmates. If nothing else, the kid should be praised for being honest with his intentions instead of forcing him to lie to get what is rightfully his: the graduation ceremony.

Here's an update on the story. The boy attended the prom and has been suspended from school and prohibited from attending graduation.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30669405/?GT1=43001

And here's the part I found most interesting:

Frost didn't go to school Monday. Instead, he and his girlfriend are heading to New York for a Tuesday morning TV interview.

I'm sorry, but I have no respect for this boy or his family. They are looking for their 15 minutes of fame and trying to make the school look horrible, despite the fact that the boy wasn't exactly forced to attend it, and the family agreed to what amounts to a "morals clause." It's amazing that they were fine with the rules until those rules became inconvenient for them.

To the school's credit, they said he can complete his exams separately and receive his diploma.

I can't believe I'm defending a school with such strict rules, but this kid and his parents are out of line; there was no legitimate reason for the family to get the local or national media involved in this situation.

Cat