Menu

Student will be suspended for going to Prom

What do you think of this news story?

A student at a Baptist school will be suspended if he attends his girlfriend's prom (at a public school.)

I don't have a problem with it, if the school communicated their rules and resulting discipline for breaking the rules up front. Just wondering what others think.

But should a school be able to dictate what a student does on their own time? Particularly a perfectly legal activity that his own parents have given him permission to do?

(I'd like to see the exact wording of the rule that they're trying to use)

I think these are the type of schools that make Christians look like idiots.

I agree. It makes it hard to follow my own religion sometimes. We have one here in our town that also forbids dancing. You can not be enrolled in ballet or cheer or go to any dances and attend that school. We have another one where you must agree to spanking.

Of course, the family knew what they were signing up for when they enrolled.................

Edited by AuntPol

Personally, I think it's a ridiculous rule, but if the student and the parents all signed a document that said that this kid wouldn't attend dances, I guess the school is within their right. It sounds like the school views this as an honesty/ethics issue in addition to the morality issue.

I only read the link where the school explained its position, and I couldn't help but notice this little gem:

The question as I see it is, should a Christian place themselves at an event where young ladies will have low cut dresses and be dancing in them?
The question I have for the school is this: Where will Christians be able to go if they're not allowed to see young ladies in low cut dresses? I see outfits at Walmart that make prom dresses look like nuns' habits -- and not just on the "young" ladies, either.

Ultimately, the fault lies with the family for having signed such a ridiculously strict document if they weren't in agreement with it. I understand that they probably wanted their son to attend that particular school, and maybe they assumed that none of the requirements would ever come back to bite them, but they still made the agreement to abide by the rules, and if the other families in the school signed the same form and are actually living by it, I don't see why it would be ok for this family to do otherwise.

My own opinion on the matter is that the school shouldn't have made a federal case out of it, particularly since the boy was honest about wanting to attend the prom and went to the school for permission, but again, if the school says it's against their rules and the family signed the form, the school is within their rights to refuse permission.

I think the school has crazy rules, but my ds isn't enrolled there, and I would never sign a document that told me what my son could and couldn't do outside of school. Some of these schools require the entire family to live by a certain strict code, and we would simply never do that. BUT, we wouldn't sign the form and then just lie about what we were doing, because that would be even more wrong than the school enforcing crazy rules.

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

I suddenly feel the urge to rent Footloose:D

I'm feeling a little Kenny Loggins comin' on. :D

Seriously I do not think the school should be in the business of dictating what "legal" activities a student is allowed to do on their own time. Prom does not always include drinking and drugs which are activities that are technically illegal for anyone of that age.

The part in the article about the s*x, drinking, and drugs tells me the principal has a very jaded view of those outside of his own community. :confused:

Issues like that fall under parental control, IMO.

This may be a case of a school having a monopoly on good academics in their area. I'd be a torn parent or a torn student if I had to sign something like that to go to the only rigorous school in town. Hope I'm never in that position.

Well, a diploma is just a diploma, and I did okay without one to my name. If he's gotten a good education out of them, then he is the winner of the deal, piece of paper or no, and I hope the kid goes on to shine regardless.

My dd goes to a christian high school. We send her there because we feel that she is getting a better education then at the public school. (She tried that freshman year). DH insists that she attends school rather then homeschool. For the most part we also like the atmosphere there a lot more than at the public school and it is a smaller, friendlier school.

They don't have prom at dd's school, which most of the parents disagree with but the school won't change their policy. They do have a junior/senior banquet, which my dd is going to today. It is formal like prom and it is at a fancy restaurant. Most of the girls are wearing dresses with spaghetti straps or strapless but from what I've seen in the past from pictures no one was dressed inappropriately. The only difference is there is no dancing, which most of the kids are very disappointed with. The school isn't against dancing per se but feels that if they allow a dance then it is more difficult to control inappropriate dancing and music. (I disagree with this). The school has a pom squad, which my dd is on. They perform to christian and secular music but all of the secular music is carefully screened.

After prom this year a family is having a post prom party with dancing but it is only for seniors (my dd is bummed about this since she is a junior). So the school seems ok with it but feels that they can't sponsor a dance.

The school does have a policy against drinking/drugs and all students and parents have to sign something at the beginning of the year saying that they (the students) won't drink or take drugs. If they do they will be expelled. At the beginning of the year a handful of kids were expelled because they were drinking at a party and administration found out.

I also disagree with the school's decision. I read that to go to a dance, you had to get a signed consent from the school which the kid got. Over and done with. He can go; the principal said so. To then turn around and say, "You have permission to go but if you do you will be suspended long enough to get incompletes in all of your classes and not graduate" is wrong.

We live in the area where all the hubub is going on. While I don't necessarily agree with the child's school decision, he and his paren't did agree with that decision when he enrolled. He went to the principal to get permission to attend his girlfriend's prom and was denied. He knew the rules and he broke them.

Now he has gone to all the news affiliates trying to use the media to try to get the public to push the school to overturn their decision.

I don't know if that is right either. He knew what he was doing.

As far as proms, well, I don't know what it's like in other areas, but they have gotten out of control here. Most girls (notice I say most, not all) try to see how little dress they can get by with. There have to be monitors all over because of the type of dancing that the young people do. I won't be graphic but it's not really dancing anymore. Then you have the drinking problem and so many teens see this as a night for sxx if they haven't already. I do see the Baptist School Principal's side of the issue as well.

I think the concern should not be about whether or not a student attends such outside functions, but how he operates when present in such circumstances.

As Christians, we are to live in the world, yet not be of it. It would be problematic for me, as a parent, for my kids to place themselves in a raucous environment time and again and expect them to not eventually fall into bad habits. But a one-time annual prom? Shouldn't be a big deal. The kid should just know better than to get caught grinding....

I am all for letting my little seedlings "harden off" before setting them out in a full-weather garden, but they're going to end up there some time and I'd rather have them know what they're getting into and have a fair understanding of it before they leave my home for good.

I think the kid was trying to play by the rules, but that principal seems to have changed the rules mid-game by throwing in the extra suspension penalty. Doesn't seem very Christian of him to not honor the original agreement.

Edited by AuntieM

I also disagree with the school's decision. I read that to go to a dance, you had to get a signed consent from the school which the kid got. Over and done with. He can go; the principal said so. To then turn around and say, "You have permission to go but if you do you will be suspended long enough to get incompletes in all of your classes and not graduate" is wrong.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

This is the core of the matter. If it was against school policy, the principal should not have signed it and he would then not be allowed to go. If the prinicipal later realized his mistake he should have handled it privately with the boy and his family, explaining why he is recanting his first decision. It should never have become a huge issue.

but my daughter did attend a dance at a public high school with a friend and couple of years ago and she says she wishes she hadn't gone. She couldn't believe the stuff that was going on there and there was very little supervision. She has thanked me numerous times since then for NOT sending her to a public high school.

This one seems simple. If you sign a document and agree to abide by a set of rules then don't whine when you find out that they limit your choices.

I disagree with the rules but the school is absolutely within its rights and if it bends here then what? What is the point of having rules if you do not enforce them?

I disagree with the rules but the school is absolutely within its rights and if it bends here then what? What is the point of having rules if you do not enforce them?
And what of the principal who gave written permission? Should he be suspended without pay for the remainder of the school year? Should not adults have to abide by their word? The boy obtained permission in the manner which was laid out in the school rules.

The question I have for the school is this: Where will Christians be able to go if they're not allowed to see young ladies in low cut dresses? I see outfits at Walmart that make prom dresses look like nuns' habits -- and not just on the "young" ladies, either.

Cat

This is, unfortunately true. If only girls were aware of what they were doing.

I can understand what the school is trying to do, but I do think they are going about it in the wrong way. I think that these issues should be addressed in the school, in a sex-ed class, maybe? But there comes a point when you have to turn them loose in the world. Senior Prom is a good time, as they will be heading off to college in just a couple of months. We have to instruct them and then trust them. We can not babysit them forever.

We are very conservative parents. We are okay with co-ed swimming, but our girls wear modest (but traditional) bathing suits. In our pool, in our backyard, during the day when it is just mom, dad & them, they wear 2 piece bathing suits. But they know, and it is drilled into them, that these are backyard bathing suits. And my girls will know that there are evil men out there that are looking for nothing more than a piece of 'meat'. By the same token, I want them to feel comfortable flirting with their husbands; comfortable with the lights on in their bedroom, and excited and anticipating on their wedding day. Not embarrassed and shameful. Which, unfortunately, is what these types of schools tend to foster.

off my soapbox :)

Cindy

To me, its pretty simple...the boy did follow the rules. He received written permission from his principal, and then the principal decided to threaten his diploma as an end run around the permission he'd already granted. Completely ridiculous. As much as the school wants to howl about the contract that the boy and parents signed, what about the principal being held to the contract HE signed when he granted permission for this boy to attend the prom?

I don't understand why the principal signed the paper. Why? He should have said no and explained that was the rules. If the boy gets the paper signed and goes to the prom, he is suspended. If he doesn't get it signed and goes, he is suspended. What was the purpose of the principal signing the paper? The principal should have had enough backbone to not sign the paper if he really and truly believes in the schools rules.

Honestly, I think the school's rules are a bit harsh. I wouldn't let my dc attend a school with such rules unless they asked and agreed to the rules knowing that they were stricter than mine and I would require them to follow the school's rules. If as a parent, you didn't have the same beliefs, why would you send your dc to a school as such?

The boy's parents are really at fault, they agreed to have their child follow the rules and now have changes their minds. Let the boy enroll in PS for a month and graduate if you don't want to abide by the rules.

Edited by Tabrett

I certainly hope that the school has a policy banning all sporting events too. The half naked cheerleaders dancing are far more risky then a bunch of teenage girls at prom. Honestly, the dress of some of the general public can bring about lustful situations. I think what one does in the situation is more important than the actual situation.

The school has the right to have whatever rules they want. If the kid signed up to go to the school, he and his parent(s) knew the rules in advance and should be expected to abide by them. It doesn't matter if the rules "seem" unreasonable or not - they are there.

However, I don't understand the principal signing a form and then still threatening the student. Maybe I do - "I can't prevent you from going, but there will be consequences if you choose to do so." It makes it the student's choice. In signing the form, he didn't promise that there would be no consequences if the boy attended the prom, he just allowed that the student could do as he chose in his free time. Hmmm. I'm thinking out loud here.

I wonder if the form the principal signed was just saying that the student did not have any discipline problems. My school requires that from non-student dance dates. We don't care if the other principal gives his permission, we just want to know the student has not been suspended for being in a gang or violence or other issues. If the date is not a student anywhere, we run a background check. This is why date tickets are more expensive than in-house tickets.

The principal is using his signature to make a point and he is making the decision fall upon the kid's shoulders, rather than himself. The principal is not man enough to encourage his students to uphold the rules and regulations of his school, instead he chooses to demonstrate how to blackmail and manipulate another human being into said moral behavior.

Ultimately, instead of allowing this young man to attend this public chaperoned event where he will be able to demostrate appropriate behavior, the principal has effectively turned this couples' prom weekend into a private event. ;)

A student at a fundamentalist Baptist school that forbids dancing

I'd love to see what it was that the student signed in the first place - I mean, I'm trying to imagine this.. a promise to never dance? Dance in public? Dance with someone wearing a miniskirt? Do the macarena? :tongue_smilie:

Seriously though. How does one not allow dancing? All dancing? Forms of dancing? Dancing at specific places? Any and all movement of the body in time to a beat?

Just doesn't compute.... :bigear:

I mean, I'm trying to imagine this.. a promise to never dance? Dance in public? Dance with someone wearing a miniskirt? Do the macarena? :tongue_smilie:

Seriously though. How does one not allow dancing? All dancing? Forms of dancing? Dancing at specific places? Any and all movement of the body in time to a beat?

No kidding. Dancing is a wonderful and beautiful way to express oneself. It seem to just come natural to some folks starting in infancy. It's an art form filled with creativity and as inborn a talent in some as singing or painting. It has also been strictly forbidden by the SBC for eons.

Of course some types of dancing can be sinful. Just like some types of just about anything you can do. I hate these kinds of rules, no this and no that. It's like we are afraid of ourselves and don't trust our own convictions or the power of Christ to truly transform us.

However, I also hate prom. To me, it's stupid and just bad situation for any teen. Have you SEEN the way they dance now days? THAT's not an art form, it's s*x with clothes on to music. Disgusting. And believe you me, the "chaparones" aren't going to do anything about it. I chaparoned my son's 8th grade graduation dance ( he is now 22!). They were bumping and grinding like nobody's business. I was the ONLY one who tried to stop it. That was 8 or 9 years ago! The dancing is much worse now, but also considered "normal". Honestly, I wouldn't let my kid attend prom.

However again, the kid and his parents should make that decision, NOT the school. A school shouldn't HAVE rules against legal and normal activites that students may participate in outside the school setting. Even if it is an attempt to help keep the kid "pure" or away from possible sin. They can't monitor it, they just have to make a blanket rule that is all encompasing and looks to outsiders like idiocy. It isn't their role to police every POSSIBLE sin a student might be exposed to. If it were, they should have rules against a whole lot of other stuff. Think about it, "some dance is sinful: therefore no dancing." Play that out in other areas of your life and you wouldn't be able to move!

However again, If they signed the paper, they should abide by it -period.

Edited by katemary63

Well i think both sides are a bit in the wrong.

1. Principle should not have signed the slip if he was simply going to threaten with punishment after the fact.

2. Student and parents knew the school rules.

My oldest dc attended a private school for k and 1st that was very strict. They did not alow dancing, makeup on women, and females of all ages were not to wear pants, only dresses and skirts. Although we are Catholic, I chose this school because the Catholic school that was around the corner was not very good IMHO. Most of them are though. Any how, we were given a book with the rules clearly stated. There was no question to the fact that they expected the same behavior out of school as well, although certain outside of school restrictions were reserved for church members. If this is the case with this family they need to review those rules and be honest with themselves.

It may be that they chose the school because it was superior, but they had a choice, and they made it. When the rules began to bother us, we made a choice to homeschool. It may mean more work for me, but it also means more rewards.

Danielle

I would never send my kids to a school with these policies, but I think the school has a right to expect the student to follow the rules to which he agreed at the beginning of the year. Those kinds of rules (dancing, rock music, etc.) are obviously for the student's behavior outside of school, so I think the family should have known that it does matter what he does outside of school. If he didn't want to follow those rules all year, he shouldn't have signed the form.

As far as what the principal signed, I guess I'd have to read it to know if he "gave" him permission or not.

Do the macarena? :tongue_smilie:

Well, thanks for nothing, fivetails. Now I can't get that stupid song out of my mind! (And I actually just stood up and did the little dance to see if I still remembered it. Sadly, I do...) ;):D

Cat

Without reading any of the other responses, the word CULT comes to mind. The school wants to control this kid and they are using downright dirty means to do it. Good for him for taking his girlfriend to prom!

And if he engages in sex, he will be expelled. WHAT??? Are they sending sex spies? Who is going to go and make sure this 17 year old doesn't have sex (I mean, I am not hoping that he does...he is much too young and that would be a bad choice...but who is going to make 100% sure...ya know??)?

And I thought my private school sucked because they wouldn't let me dye my hair blue for senior pictures! :( GOD!

This is in our neck of the woods, and it is all over the local news. The father said in an interview that he is very upset that, "the school is putting God before our son."

IMHO, you sign up for a school and agree to their rules, you know what you are getting into. We don't feel the same way about dancing, but if my child attended that school, I would know it was the rule.

I'd love to see what it was that the student signed in the first place - I mean, I'm trying to imagine this.. a promise to never dance? Dance in public? Dance with someone wearing a miniskirt? Do the macarena? :tongue_smilie:

LOL...this reminds me of a school not too far away that not only bans dancing, but all music with drums. Yes, drums. It seems that drums make people want to rip their clothes off (this is what was said to the students in the not-so-distant past). Oh, my....

The students from this school are nice kids. They also are dabbling in heavy drinking, pot, and smoking crack. One of my twins' best friends transfered into this school and I was the one to go to his mom when he started using hard drugs. He's fine now, and at a Christian college, and is sober, but my word! It's horribly naive to think that by banning drums or dancing your kids will be spared the trials in this world.

That said, the family knew what they were getting into, and if dancing is not allowed, then their child has to face the consequences. Poor thing.

Ria

I hope he goes and has fun. How long will he be suspended? How did the school find out his plans? Nothing shocks me after what I have seen in the Christian school I attended.

Edited by lynn

This is in our neck of the woods, and it is all over the local news. The father said in an interview that he is very upset that, "the school is putting God before our son."

IMHO, you sign up for a school and agree to their rules, you know what you are getting into. We don't feel the same way about dancing, but if my child attended that school, I would know it was the rule.

Am I the only one whose biggest problem with this is that it appears that this disgruntled family went to the media with their story?

I think that's terribly tacky. It seems like the family is essentially trying to get revenge on the school because they're not getting their way about their son attending a prom. I'm not defending the school's policies, but as I mentioned in a much earlier post, if the family signed an agreement that said they would abide by the school's rules and decisions in these matters, they are obligated to obey them. I can't imagine that this boy had no clue that the school believed that "prom behavior" was immoral; he didn't just start attending the school last week.

Again, I feel badly for the kid, but all of the other kids in that school are in the same boat, and I'm sure plenty of them would love to attend a prom at another school -- but they won't, because they are abiding by the agreed-upon rules. I'll bet most of the other students at the school wish this boy and his parents would just be quiet and get over it. Calling in the media and acting like a big baby because you didn't get your way is not the right thing to do, and the father's quote is ridiculous, anyway. The kid wasn't molested by the headmaster; he was told he couldn't go to a dance, and that's really not the end of the world. If that's the worst thing that ever happens to this boy and his family, they should consider themselves blessed.

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

Do the macarena? :tongue_smilie:

Well, thanks for nothing, fivetails. Now I can't get that stupid song out of my mind! (And I actually just stood up and did the little dance to see if I still remembered it. Sadly, I do...) ;):D

Cat

:lol::lol:

I used to have a fuzzy black gorilla that blared that song and flung its arms around. :D

No kidding. Dancing is a wonderful and beautiful way to express oneself. It seem to just come natural to some folks starting in infancy. It's an art form filled with creativity and as inborn a talent in some as singing or painting. It has also been strictly forbidden by the SBC for eons.

Of course some types of dancing can be sinful. Just like some types of just about anything you can do. I hate these kinds of rules, no this and no that. It's like we are afraid of ourselves and don't trust our own convictions or the power of Christ to truly transform us.

However, I also hate prom. To me, it's stupid and just bad situation for any teen. Have you SEEN the way they dance now days? THAT's not an art form, it's s*x with clothes on to music. Disgusting. And believe you me, the "chaparones" aren't going to do anything about it. I chaparoned my son's 8th grade graduation dance ( he is now 22!). They were bumping and grinding like nobody's business. I was the ONLY one who tried to stop it. That was 8 or 9 years ago! The dancing is much worse now, but also considered "normal". Honestly, I wouldn't let my kid attend prom.

However again, the kid and his parents should make that decision, NOT the school. A school shouldn't HAVE rules against legal and normal activites that students may participate in outside the school setting. Even if it is an attempt to help keep the kid "pure" or away from possible sin. They can't monitor it, they just have to make a blanket rule that is all encompasing and looks to outsiders like idiocy. It isn't their role to police every POSSIBLE sin a student might be exposed to. If it were, they should have rules against a whole lot of other stuff. Think about it, "some dance is sinful: therefore no dancing." Play that out in other areas of your life and you wouldn't be able to move!

However again, If they signed the paper, they should abide by it -period.

I am a horrible dancer. HORRIBLE. :D

(Think like, more left feet than I actually have.)

So the denomination that runs this school... they're flat out no dancing ever, period? What about a husband & wife waltzing at a wedding? Or kids - y'know, the ones that are flinging themselves around the living room to Barney songs. *curious*

Anything can be sinful - whether it's dancing or reading or singing or painting a kitchen - depending on a person's motivations and whatever...

I've never actually been to a prom.. or any sort of high school dance, for that matter. Went to a couple in grade seven - hated them. :tongue_smilie:

That sounds awful though.. I always think of proms as fancier versions of those grade seven dances - a gym set up with headache-inducing flashy lights, cheezy decorations starting to fall down, fake smoke that puts that funny smell in your nose, and a bunch of teachers milling around telling people to quit running, don't throw that, get off there, don't spit on the floor, and for the love of pete STOP RUNNING. :willy_nilly:

LOL...this reminds me of a school not too far away that not only bans dancing, but all music with drums. Yes, drums. It seems that drums make people want to rip their clothes off (this is what was said to the students in the not-so-distant past).

I won't tell you what a tympani does to me. :)

I think this "Baptist School" has many of the earmarks of a high control group.

If you get involved with a high control group, then you have to expect this sort of nonsense. In a way, this child and his family are lucky. Groups like this can do a lot of spiritual damage to their victims. This boy is getting off lightly.

http://www.neirr.org/s7-aber2.html

If the community didn’t already know that Heritage High School was scripturally ignorant, controlling and mean spirited, they know now. In the future, no one can claim ignorance when deciding to place their child there.

The principal said, “This is a time for Heritage to shine as a light in this world. It isn’t easy, but it is right.” Wow, he really imagines this behavior is appropriate! What will he and the school committee do next? How will they handle a real crisis of ethics? Stone someone? If I was curious, and I’m not, I’d choose to watch from a safe distance.

It might be instructive for the principal and the school committee to familiarize themselves with the fate of Michel, daughter of Saul, who despised David for his dancing. They won't find themselves favored by God or man for their meanness.

I'm not one for dancing, personally. As a believer I think allowing a child to attend a school dance with blaring, ungodly music and suggestive dancing going on isn't wise or healthy.

Dancing isn't nec wrong, of course; I see nothing wrong with folk dances and waltzes or square dancing, etc where it's a group/community event, for ex.

A lot of things go on in proms that I don't care to go into.

But my question is, can a school legally keep someone from going to a dance on their own time just by getting someone to sign a piece of paper?

I'd think the courts would throw this one out. I can't see how the school got away with this in the first place.

Kim

What do you think of this news story?

A student at a Baptist school will be suspended if he attends his girlfriend's prom (at a public school.)

I don't have a problem with it, if the school communicated their rules and resulting discipline for breaking the rules up front. Just wondering what others think.

So the denomination that runs this school... they're flat out no dancing ever, period? What about a husband & wife waltzing at a wedding? Or kids - y'know, the ones that are flinging themselves around the living room to Barney songs. *curious*

Some deniminations of Baptists have taught no dancing of anykind - what so ever, no husband and wife walzing, no square dancing - nope. It's the same for card playing - not allowed because it could lead to gambling. No Go Fish??? Nope. I knew people who would not let a deck of cards in their house! I suppose those same people would not let their toddler dance to Barney either!

Things have changed though, but school dances are obviously still out for some groups. ( personally - I agree with that, just because school dances now days are just plain bad news - I just don't think it's the schools place but the parents place to decide.)

My daughters dance, cheer, wear spaghetti straps (yikes!!), and will in all likelihood go to their prom(homeschool prom with dancing). HOWEVER!!! If they attended a school , we would make it clear that they are to respect and obey those rules unless the rules violated conscience or religion. In this case, the only thing the rule seems to have violated is fun. I find it very odd that the stepfather would have the boy attend the school if he is so at odds with their rules.

I have no idea why the principal signed the paper, but it seems clear that the rule against dancing was in place before he signed it. It seems very unlikely that this family was unaware of the no dancing beforehand.

Edited by LilyK
Extremely awkward sentence structure

Am I the only one whose biggest problem with this is that it appears that this disgruntled family went to the media with their story?

I think that's terribly tacky. It seems like the family is essentially trying to get revenge on the school because they're not getting their way about their son attending a prom. I'm not defending the school's policies, but as I mentioned in a much earlier post, if the family signed an agreement that said they would abide by the school's rules and decisions in these matters, they are obligated to obey them. I can't imagine that this boy had no clue that the school believed that "prom behavior" was immoral; he didn't just start attending the school last week.

Again, I feel badly for the kid, but all of the other kids in that school are in the same boat, and I'm sure plenty of them would love to attend a prom at another school -- but they won't, because they are abiding by the agreed-upon rules. I'll bet most of the other students at the school wish this boy and his parents would just be quiet and get over it. Calling in the media and acting like a big baby because you didn't get your way is not the right thing to do, and the father's quote is ridiculous, anyway. The kid wasn't molested by the headmaster; he was told he couldn't go to a dance, and that's really not the end of the world. If that's the worst thing that ever happens to this boy and his family, they should consider themselves blessed.

Cat

No, I completely agree with you. It seems like people run crying for media attention at the smallest slight nowadays. :glare: