Menu

New WTM recs Real Science 4 kids vs R.E.A.L science

JABarney

I have just been reading over the 3rd edition of TWTM and have come across the science recs for grammar stage. (for those that want a put together program)

Now that I understand that Real Science 4 kids is a different program than Pandia Press' R.E.A.L. science I am curious as to why SWB mentions Real Science 4 kids, which to me appears incomplete, (bio and chem only for grammar stage) and expensive for what you actually get. (ten chapters would not last us a whole year) VS R.E.A.L. Science, which I have used this year after an attempt to put things together on my own, worked out really well for us, lasted the whole year, had great experiments, age appropriate etc was not even mentioned in TWTM.

I am of course wanting the "best" program for our family (knowing every family is different) and trusting SWB's experience/reviews and now wondering what is "wrong" with R.E.A.L Science or what is so "right" about Real Science 4 Kids that I am missing. Any thoughts?

VS R.E.A.L. Science, which I have used this year after an attempt to put things together on my own, worked out really well for us, lasted the whole year, had great experiments, age appropriate etc was not even mentioned in TWTM
One factor might be the fact that not even the first level of the series is finished, and there was a significant period of time in which it didn't look like it would expand at all beyond the first two books. FWIW, I don't look to The Well-Trained Mind for specific curriculum recommendations. I seek a broader range of experience and look to local homeschooling friends and boards such as this one.

I have just been reading over the 3rd edition of TWTM and have come across the science recs for grammar stage. (for those that want a put together program)

Now that I understand that Real Science 4 kids is a different program than Pandia Press' R.E.A.L. science I am curious as to why SWB mentions Real Science 4 kids, which to me appears incomplete, (bio and chem only for grammar stage) and expensive for what you actually get. (ten chapters would not last us a whole year) VS R.E.A.L. Science, which I have used this year after an attempt to put things together on my own, worked out really well for us, lasted the whole year, had great experiments, age appropriate etc was not even mentioned in TWTM.

I am of course wanting the "best" program for our family (knowing every family is different) and trusting SWB's experience/reviews and now wondering what is "wrong" with R.E.A.L Science or what is so "right" about Real Science 4 Kids that I am missing. Any thoughts?

So you mean VS, as in a previous edition mentioning R&S vs Loyola, or that R.E.A.L wasn't even an option?

I haven't seen RS4Ks, but people here do rave about it. Ditto REAL (I'm a raver for them).

Who knows? You can only review so much curriculum, and include so much in a book. I don't think there is a blatant superiority of one over the other in context, etc, or this would have come up here. We have enough curricula junkies here, I'm betting a closeted bunch has/uses both!

I like the looks of R.E.A.L. Science too. I guess because it's classical and secular, the OP may have thought it should have been included in the WTM and is wondering now why it hasn't been included. Is there something wrong with it? Is it not rigorous enough? I look to the WTM for rigorous materials. If it works for the OP, I would say there's nothing wrong with it. That doesn't negate the fact that one may be curious to see what Ms. Bauer may have thought about it. If she did get a chance to review it that is. Ms. Bauer..? :)

I am curious as to why SWB mentions Real Science 4 kids, which to me appears incomplete, (bio and chem only for grammar stage) and expensive for what you actually get. (ten chapters would not last us a whole year)

But there is bio, chemistry and physics for grammar stage.

Laura

I ordered RS4K at the WTM conference. I ordered the pre-level Chem and Bio for my 2nd grader (next year) and the Level 1 Chem, Bio and Physics for my 4th grader (next year). I figured that I could use the Level 1 Physics book with my 2nd grader and just simplify it if I need to, although I'm not sure I'll have to. In fact, for the level that my 2nd grader will be at, I would feel completely comfortable working with both boys out of the Level I books. I bought the pre-level books "just in case," and because I have a rising Kindergartener too. I was very pleased with the content and layout of the books.

If I remember correctly, Dr. Keller mentioned that they are working on an Earth science program too. I think. Can someone else confirm that?

FYI, RS4K allows you to now look through every single page of their books online. :thumbup1:

JABarney Did you do all 4 of the REAL Science books in one year? or will they last longer than one year?

I have RS4K Pre Biology and Pre Chemistry, but I haven't started because my kid's have been doing lots of science with their home learning group.

It may be that SWB hasn't reviewed R.E.A.L. Science. If she likes RS4K, she may not see the need to review other curriculum. I find that curriculum choices can be partly personal in that some parents will have preference for one over another. Also curriculum that suits one child well may not be as suitable for another child.

So you mean VS, as in a previous edition mentioning R&S vs Loyola, or that R.E.A.L wasn't even an option?

We have enough curricula junkies here, I'm betting a closeted bunch has/uses both!

I meant that R.E.A.L was not even an option. LOL, I think I am turning into a curricula junkie! I NEVER imagined I would ever fall in love with learning the way I have since homeschooling!

....the OP may have thought it should have been included in the WTM and is wondering now why it hasn't been included. Is there something wrong with it? Is it not rigorous enough? I look to the WTM for rigorous materials. ...one may be curious to see what Ms. Bauer may have thought about it. If she did get a chance to review it that is. Ms. Bauer..? :)

Exactly! Thank you for wording my question so well... my writing skills are only at the first grade level. :001_smile:

But there is bio, chemistry and physics for grammar stage.

Laura

I'll have to go to their web site again.... thanks for the updated info!

FYI, RS4K allows you to now look through every single page of their books online. :thumbup1:

I'll definitely take a look.

I believe Susan does RS4K with her children so I can see why she would recommend it, but I don't know if she has anything against REAL science or it was a matter of space. :)

That is helpful to know! I am always interested in what the "Queen" is doing.

Here is a copy of the long term plan Dr. Keller put up last year for RS4K:

scope.gif

Heather

Awsome!

JABarney Did you do all 4 of the REAL Science books in one year? or will they last longer than one year?

No, there are four years worth of material. Life Science (Animals, Human Body) is what we did this year. I am in the process of comparing programs for next year. I really liked the program and my dc loved it. Thus my confusion/questions comparing RS4K and R.E.A.L Science when I read the new WTM.

I would still love to hear other responses and would be thrilled to hear a response from SWB, but as someone else said the collective wisdom of the hive can be invaluable!!

Hello all,

Does anyone have the links for real science verus RS4Ks. I am a little confused as to the difference:tongue_smilie: Also, can someone clarify which one SWB is recommending?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

pris

Here's the link for R.E.A.L. Science. This is the one we're using next year.

http://www.pandiapress.com/real_science.htm

Anyone know how the KOGS workbooks do with the RS4K program? Are you supposed to add in the 6 workbooks to make the Chemistry program last longer? Is there a schedule that shows how all the pieces work together?

Yes, but I will warn you up front that I didn't like them. :D

I bought the whole Chemistry 1 package with the KOGS, so it came with a schedule. It has a two week rotation where you read a chapter in the main text, did an experiment, then worked on reading one chapter in each of the KOGS. There was also a day where you worked on lab sheets, taking the logic farther, and one day of writing out definitions to the words. That means you spent about 3 out of 10 days working on stuff that was directly related to the science, and 7 days on learning about something else and relating it back to science. I really wanted that ratio switched, so more time was spent on the science itself. The bigger problem I had was in seeing something labeled a workbook I assumed they could be done independently by the child. Dr. Keller is a huge fan of asking open ended questions. Questions that the parent needs to be there to help the child through because until they hit 7th grade or higher they haven't developed the logical level thinking to follow them. Both the lab sheets and the KOGS have these type of questions, things that are not directly stated in the text but the child has to take the information learned and apply it a different situation.

In the end it was a bad fit for our needs. Those on the yahoo group who were doing the KOGS with their children where much happier with the product, and most of them did not do all 6 KOGS but just chose a few, so there was more balance between science and non-science topics.

Heather