Menu

The fruitbasket turnover--When the Board takes charge

For many of you, you know the struggles that have ensued through the last two years as I moved from home educating for twenty years to teaching middle school in a private Christian school. The first time I interviewed at this current school, I was stuck by the poor representation of the headmaster. From unprofessional dress, to unprofessional speech, to unprofessional manner with parents and students, you name it, I've seen it.

Last year, I endured. This year, I persisted. In October, I stuck my neck out and spoke at length to a member of the board about a multitude of concerns and situations. The board knew there were possible problems, but no one was talking to them, probably because the headmaster, rather, administrator (I refused to call him a headmaster) threatened us with our jobs if we did. When I realized that he didn't hire me, the board did, I became more confident in my resolve to talk with them.

A fine line exists between being subordinate to the system and exposing the error of the system. I decided that I don't really have anything to lose--my children are grown, I'm employed because I want to be not because I have to be--and I cannot sit around seeing the wrongs without attempting to correct them. Now, years ago, things would have been different and I would never have rocked the boat. (I'm not saying that I arrogantly rocked the boat; it was just, well, you might say exerting my conscientious objections.)

I began to get some positive feedback from the board. As the year continued, more problems cropped up. There were more integrity issues. And there were a plethora of things handed down to us teachers to do which should have been done by the administrator. You know there's a problem when the teachers are pulling 11-12 hour days and the administrator arrives 2 minutes before the bell and leaves 30 minutes after the final bell.

After Christmas, I decided that either I was going to dig my heels in a outlast this sorry excuse of an admin or I was going to apply to the classical school that I've always dreamed of teaching in. Well, I did both. I sent in my application but continued to dig in my heels and didn't blink an eye at talking with the board numerous times. I was convinced (and I wasn't alone) that if the current leadership continued, the school would not. Too many parents had said that if the current admin was there, their children would not be.

Things pumped up last week when some of us unofficially heard that the board was not issuing the admin a contract for next year. Yes! Then, yesterday, all of us were surprised that the board members were present for morning devotions. The admin announced that the board has decided not to bring him back next year and that the turnover would start that day. Yesterday was his last day. WOW! There are only three weeks of school left, so things must really be serious to necessitate this sudden shift. The board has an interim admin who will begin Monday and continue, I suppose, until a replacement is found. Whew!

My biggest concern is the direction we have begun in the middle school. Last year we decided to transition the middle school to classical with the elementary to follow, then the high school. We teachers want that to continue. So, after the meeting yesterday, I was able to speak to the board about this. Of course, they have no idea what is going on academically. They are not educators and they admit that. One told me that they need and want input from the faculty, something that the now-defunct admin blocked every which way. I briefly told him about classical (he had no idea what I was talking about), that it had been my passion for over twenty years, and that I would be happy to more fully explain it to the board later, if they chose. I emphasized that the search for a new headmaster should focus on his embrace of classical education if the school was serious about going in that direction. I also told him I would be privileged to be considered as part of the search committee. I would LOVE to do this!

I came away with a great feeling. Not only that a major problem had been removed, but that I might be able to be part of really establishing classical education in this unlikely place.

The next few months will be busy and interesting. I have a renewed vigor now. I look forward with eager anticipation to finalizing my history curriculum (I cobble together different resources) and to using whatever talents and gifts I've been given to realizing what I've longed for.

Life is good. And with so many unexpected events!

Sorry for the length of this. I just wanted to reconnect with some of you who have followed this situation. I cannot be this specific on my blog. :)

Janie,

Have you been in touch at all with Andrew Kern or the Circe Institute? I think they'd be a wonderful support and resource to you, particularly James Daniels who is now with Circe full-time. He was director of instruction at Westminster at Memphis and is my personal favorite Circe lecturer.

I'm so thrilled for you, Janie. And amazed at your steadfastness and temerity. :grouphug:

Janie, thank you so much for the update. I'd been trying to read between the lines of your past posts, and I knew something was up. I'm so happy for you! Way to go, girl! You are such a blessing to that school, the other teachers, the students, and the board.

Ria

In need to keep Andrew in mind. A couple of years ago, I thought it would be great to have him come and do his seminar about opening/transitioning to classical. And yes, Daniels is one of my favorite speakers. I keep one of his Circe lectures in the car all the time to listen to when I need some encouragement. Great guy! Circe may be the go get on tract with the board and faculty. Thanks for the reminder!

What a dream! I'm happy for you and interested in how it starts to turn out. There's a private school in our town...and I always think about how neat it would be if it went classical. I'd maybe have our children there! But, our closest classical school is between 1/2-3/4 hr away.

Carrie:-)

In need to keep Andrew in mind. A couple of years ago, I thought it would be great to have him come and do his seminar about opening/transitioning to classical. And yes, Daniels is one of my favorite speakers. I keep one of his Circe lectures in the car all the time to listen to when I need some encouragement. Great guy! Circe may be the go get on tract with the board and faculty. Thanks for the reminder!

Daniels and Kern could be EXCELLENT for you school. You could also look into having the school send a teacher to the CiRCE apprenticeship program since that program is more than just writing. It is a wonderful mentorship program in classical education, teaching modes, practical how-tos for all kinds of situations, and many apprentices return to their schools ready to confidently guide and assist them in becoming more classically minded.