Menu

Question. WWE seems to yield great results in the end. Do your children enjoy it?

Mommy7

I want my children to enjoy writing. Does WWE accomplish this goal as well? :) (hope that's okay to ask here) Copying, narration, and dictation seems kind of boring to me. I'm concerned that if I start my 10 yo ds with this process, he may feel the same. I probably just don't know enough about the process to understand it. Could someone (gently) enlighten me?

Edited by Mommy7

Mine have certainly enjoyed it -- but they are kids who have never particularly balked at writing. The selections are great (some from books my kids have read, some from books they haven't yet read and choose to read based on the WWE readings), and while the assignments are standard, there's enough variation among them that my kids have liked it.

But I think if *you* approach it thinking it'll be boring, there's not much hope for the kids.

My kids really enjoy it. Granted we're only a few weeks into books 1 & 2 (different kids) but its sparked their interest in the literature selections for sure! I can see a big difference in their abilities already. I even think its helped my oldest, who loves to write already, to write more succintly.

I want my children to enjoy writing. Does WWE accomplish this goal as well? :) (hope that's okay to ask here) Copying, narration, and dictation seems kind of boring to me. I'm concerned that if I start my 10 yo ds with this process, he may feel the same. I probably just don't know enough about the process to understand it. Could someone (gently) enlighten me?

I'm trying to take the long term view of it. My kids didn't/don't always like to do the narration, copying, or dictating, but I'm convinced that by the time they're grown up, they will at least enjoy the fact that they can get their thoughts clearly written on paper without struggling. And WWE makes the process a ton easier than when I was trying to do all this on my own with my oldest child. And yes, my daughter enjoys WWE most of the time. She even wanted me to give her two dictations the other day - I about fell over!

Edited by Colleen in NS

Mine have certainly enjoyed it -- but they are kids who have never particularly balked at writing.

actually, my 8yo used to cry all the time when she had to write - before WWE.

The selections are great (some from books my kids have read, some from books they haven't yet read and choose to read based on the WWE readings), and while the assignments are standard, there's enough variation among them that my kids have liked it.

quote]

:iagree:

BUT, I'm noy dealing with a 10yo boy :)

Thank you so much for your responses. I have never actually done copywork, narration, dictation with them. I guess I was just going on my impression of what those things mean. I haven't had the chance to actually hold WWE in my hands, so I needed input about it.

It sounds like it has enough variety that the kids, overall, like it. I think it will be a good starting point for my 10yo ds. After that, I like the looks of Writing Tales!!!

Do you think it is important to do all 4 levels of WWE?

I am not sure how much writing your son has done in general. However, at 10 years old he will propably breeze through the lower levels. You may want to just get the Hardcover book (not the workbooks) and quickly move through the lower grade levels. When you reach the point were it gets more challanging get the workbooks. I hope this makes sense.

Susie

If I don't have the workbooks for the younger levels (1&2), does that mean I would have to come up with stuff on my own? I'm not very good at that. I just don't have time for it. It has to be open and go for us.

To answer your first question, my first grader loves WWE. But she's weird like that.

If I don't have the workbooks for the younger levels (1&2), does that mean I would have to come up with stuff on my own? I'm not very good at that. I just don't have time for it. It has to be open and go for us.

I think there may be enough examples in the text to go through levels 1 and 2 quickly (assuming that your ds has no difficulties with the concepts), and you may not need to make up your own.

My kids enjoy it. The literature passages are very engaging and , like someone else said, they have often looked for the books at the library so they can read more. I think if you have a reluctant writer, this method can take some of the stress off them since they are not having to come up with content while they are learning writing skills.

I have never actually done copywork, narration, dictation with them. I guess I was just going on my impression of what those things mean. I haven't had the chance to actually hold WWE in my hands, so I needed input about it.

They're described pretty well in WTM (at least in the first ed, which is what I have). So if you've read that, you should have a pretty clear idea of what WWE does.

I think it will be a good starting point for my 10yo ds. After that, I like the looks of Writing Tales!!!

Do you think it is important to do all 4 levels of WWE?

As someone else mentioned, with an older child, I would just get the hardback book and breeze through the levels doing the lessons that are spelled out (about 6-8 per level). A 10yo shouldn't need to spend a year on any of the levels, but if you've done little writing instruction in the past, it might be useful to begin in level 1 or 2 and go quickly through them (as the hardback facilitates). I can't see doing level 1 or 2 for a year with a developmentally typical 9 or 10 year old.

I also think that by the time you finish WWE4, Writing Tales would be redundant. I wouldn't plan on using it after WWE4.