Menu

What do you think about Joel Osteen?

Someone gave us a book by Joel Osteen and I had not heard about him prior to receiving the book.

I started skimming over some chapters and am wondering now if he is of the "Name it and Claim it" persuasion or not.

Some things I am reading I can agree with completely, others leave me with a "Huh?" feeling but I have not read enough to get an accurate picture of his scripture interpretations.

Someone gave us a book by Joel Osteen and I had not heard about him prior to receiving the book.

I started skimming over some chapters and am wondering now if he is of the "Name it and Claim it" persuasion or not.

Some things I am reading I can agree with completely, others leave me with a "Huh?" feeling but I have not read enough to get an accurate picture of his scripture interpretations.

He is king of the prosperity gospel and...to be honest...he makes my skin crawl.

I believe he is a "name it and claim it" and huge into prosperity. I do NOT mean to offend, and hesitate to post because I *HATE* hot topics. But, I still can't get over something.

Last Sunday I turned on Joel Osteen out of curiosity. I had seen him before and was inspired by him, but something was "off". His show on tv was half an hour long, and it was a solid 16 minutes before he ever mentioned God or scripture. I don't like that.

He's a real feel good, God wants you to have the best, you're royalty so act like it kind of guy.

I have to admit that there is something to positive thinking, so when I need to get pumped up for some reason, I find his book pretty helpful. However, I do not really agree with his theology as it doesn't incorporate what I consider to be a Biblical view of suffering--essential for balance.

Bottom line, I like him like a sugary snack as an occasional afternoon pick me up, but for real soul satisfaction I need a more well-balanced theological and Biblical diet.

And I never recommend him to anyone else. If I had taken his book out of the library before purchasing it, I would not have bought it.

He's a real feel good, God wants you to have the best, you're royalty so act like it kind of guy.

Bottom line, I like him like a sugary snack as an occasional afternoon pick me up, but for real soul satisfaction I need a more well-balanced theological and Biblical diet.

Yes, I have to say that I got that feeling by reading a few pages. You are right though - it would be nice if this was really how the Bible is to be understood - unfortunately he seems to disregard a few passages of that book.

I attended Lakewood until John, his father passed away. I stopped going when Joel began the uber-mega church push. His sermons weren't for me, style and content wise. I haven't read any of his books, and haven't even watched him preach in years. I just don't have any desire to.

Last Sunday I turned on Joel Osteen out of curiosity. I had seen him before and was inspired by him, but something was "off". His show on tv was half an hour long, and it was a solid 16 minutes before he ever mentioned God or scripture. I don't like that.

I think I know what you mean...and since I asked about people's opinions, I don't think anyone has cause to be offended. I was not even aware that this is considered "hot topic" as I had never heard of him before.

Thanks for posting.

I attended Lakewood until John, his father passed away. I stopped going when Joel began the uber-mega church push. His sermons weren't for me, style and content wise. I haven't read any of his books, and haven't even watched him preach in years. I just don't have any desire to.

It's interesting to hear from someone who has been to his church - or his father's church, rather. So, in your your opinion his style is quite different from his father's style?

I believe he is a fake. A motivational speaker running under the label of preacher. I firmly believe he is one of those detours that exists. The wrong path. Just like the many detours in "Pilgrims Progress". He is a to full of himself and stuff. He is bad news.

It's interesting to hear from someone who has been to his church - or his father's church, rather. So, in your your opinion his style is quite different from his father's style?

Yes, very different in my interpretation. John was a minister, Joel is a motivational speaker. :)

I believe he is a fake. A motivational speaker running under the label of preacher. I firmly believe he is one of those detours that exists. The wrong path. Just like the many detours in "Pilgrims Progress". He is a to full of himself and stuff. He is bad news.

We seem to be on the same wavelength about him! ;)

Taking the path down "prosperity road" is a dangerous one, IMO. He seems to not know anything about scripture or theology, as seen here in a Larry King interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfwYU2pmWYQ

He just wants to preach a very "feel good" message and people are eating it up. Liz, I'm surprised you haven't heard of him. He recently sold out Yankee Stadium faster than the Rolling Stones!

I personally can't stand the guy.

I have a dear friend who was brought up in the Word of Faith movement. She knows them all. Joel Osteen is at the top of her list.

BTW, after seeing her family keep getting baptized because the weren't prospering and having family members tell other family members their terminal illnesses were their own fault and their parents' fault, df is now an atheist.

Even before meeting my friend I considered Joel Osteen a very, very dangerous man and now I think even more so.

I have a dear friend who was brought up in the Word of Faith movement. She knows them all. Joel Osteen is at the top of her list.

BTW, after seeing her family keep getting baptized because the weren't prospering and having family members tell other family members their terminal illnesses were their own fault and their parents' fault, df is now an atheist.

Even before meeting my friend I considered Joel Osteen a very, very dangerous man and now I think even more so.

What you are describing sounds very much like toxic faith to me. I cannot stand it when people are being told they are ill because they don't have enough faith or the right kind of faith.

I may not be finishing Osteen's book after all.

Maybe people are hard on him just because he's small and has a soft voice!

(Throwing the theory out there....)

No, I am hard on him because he is an example of 2 Timothy 4, "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires" and I feel sorry for him because James 3:1 says "Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment."

Being a minister is not something to be taken lightly and the Bible has already told us that our "best lives" are NOT "now"....they will be in Heaven.

Edited by Heather in NC

II Timothy 4: 3 and 4

[3] For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

[4] And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

I think Mr. Osteen preaches what people want to hear instead of preaching the whole counsel of God.

Taking the path down "prosperity road" is a dangerous one, IMO. He seems to not know anything about scripture or theology, as seen here in a Larry King interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfwYU2pmWYQ

He just wants to preach a very "feel good" message and people are eating it up. Liz, I'm surprised you haven't heard of him. He recently sold out Yankee Stadium faster than the Rolling Stones!

I personally can't stand the guy.

Thanks for the link!

I stick very much to the people I have known for a long time and whose interpretation of scripture seems more sound to me - mostly because of time restraints than any other reason. Rarely do I look for other people unless someone, whose judgement I trust, tells me about a new book, radio show, etc. Again, this is not because I think there could not possibly a new person be coming on the scene who may be a good minister and teacher but because there are so many and I would be researching them for weeks or longer because I have such a slow internet connection :lol: !

It could well be that someone mentioned his name before and it went right over my head. It's not that surprising to me that he sold out Yankee stadium. People are hurting and when someone preaches an uplifting message (scriptural or not) people want so very much to believe it.

Thanks for the link!

I stick very much to the people I have known for a long time and whose interpretation of scripture seems more sound to me - mostly because of time restraints than any other reason. Rarely do I look for other people unless someone, whose judgement I trust, tells me about a new book, radio show, etc. Again, this is not because I think there could not possibly a new person be coming on the scene who may be a good minister and teacher but because there are so many and I would be researching them for weeks or longer because I have such a slow internet connection :lol: !

It could well be that someone mentioned his name before and it went right over my head. It's not that surprising to me that he sold out Yankee stadium. People are hurting and when someone preaches an uplifting message (scriptural or not) people want so very much to believe it.

Who do you normally like to read? I am always looking for suggestions! :D

No, I am hard on him because he is an example of 2 Timothy 4, "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires" and I feel sorry for him because James 3:1 says "Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment."

Being a minister is not something to be taken lightly and the Bible has already told us that are "best lives" are NOT "now"....they will be in Heaven.

Sister, I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm over here, noddin' my head, sayin' 'PREACH IT. Heather!' :D

Who do you normally like to read? I am always looking for suggestions! :D

I read a lot of James Dobson, also most anything by Cloud/Townsend.

These are books on parenting or relationships.

If you are looking for fiction, I have recently tried Karen Kingsbury - recommended by WTMindy on this board. I like her books.

As far as Bible Studies, I use the Bible ;), Devotionals by Hudson Taylor and I absolutely love all the books written by Ruth Bell Graham - late wife of Billy Graham. Her books are full of humor and scripture.

The question was asked, "What do you THINK of Joel Osteen?" So, we should feel free to answer. So....to anyone who will listen, the Word of Faith movement, of which Osteen is a top ranking member, IS a dangerous road, as one poster already mentioned.

If you really want to be educated on the entire history of this movement, read The Counterfeit Revival and Christianity in Crisis by Hank Hanegraaff. Both are excellent, eye-popping and equiping books. Just be willing to read the books, then if you disagree, you disagree. But there are many things about this movement that most participants are just not aware of.

www.equip.org

Being a minister is not something to be taken lightly and the Bible has already told us that are "best lives" are NOT "now"....they will be in Heaven.

:iagree:

I read a lot of James Dobson, also most anything by Cloud/Townsend.

These are books on parenting or relationships.

If you are looking for fiction, I have recently tried Karen Kingsbury - recommended by WTMindy on this board. I like her books.

As far as Bible Studies, I use the Bible ;), Devotionals by Hudson Taylor and I absolutely love all the books written by Ruth Bell Graham - late wife of Billy Graham. Her books are full of humor and scripture.

Thanks!

Well, I was going to just stick to his big teeth, but I got to thinking about his message, & here's the thing. If you get proportionately wealthier & healthier the more you follow God, then what does that say about the poor? The sick? That they need to repent?

Makes it hard to figure out what to do about charitable giving, you know? I guess you could go around preaching REPENT! but he's not doing that, either. Just focusing on the spirituality of wealth.

Big teeth, though. This best sums up my feelings for him:

joel-osteen-smile.jpg

I used to listen to him occasionally, and if I was down or having a hard time, what he had to say might lift me. Much of what he has to say is positive and encouragine, etc. Having lived and walked with the Lord long enough now, though, I have seen that the prosperity gospel and all the positivity is a lie. God's main goal is not that I have $$ or that I be "happy" always...joyful, yes, but joyful in trials as well as good times. God's main goal is that I glorify Him, yielding myself to Him so I can become like Christ.

The other day, it hit me what my true problem with him is. From a gospel standpoint, no matter how "encouraging" he can be and even if he is right about many of his points, I believe he is going to have to answer to God for the way sin and the gospel message rarely seem to be part of his sermons. My sin is my problem, and Christ is that answer. If someone is constantly telling me how great I really am, it may make me feel good, but I'm not coming to the point of dying to self and living for Christ through that message. I'm ultimately looking to myself and all that good stuff in me to build me up, make me feel better. I'm pulling myself up by my bootstraps, if you will. The ultimate goal of a minister is that people not see that minister but hear God's Word. My thoughts is that if I was a pastor, and I was really doing it right, my humility would be so strong that I would disappear behind the Words of Christ, maybe that people wouldn't even know who I was. I know those pastors...I just don't think Mr. Olsteen happens to be one of them. :(

Wow! That was eye-opening. It appears he has decided to ditch some scripture in order to sound a little more PC. Yes, he is an ear-tickler! What an opportunity he had...right there on national television, and he ditched it. :glare:

If you really want to be educated on the entire history of this movement, read The Counterfeit Revival and Christianity in Crisis by Hank Hanegraaff. Both are excellent, eye-popping and equiping books. Just be willing to read the books, then if you disagree, you disagree. But there are many things about this movement that most participants are just not aware of.

www.equip.org

The amazing thing is my friend who is an atheist has an incredible amount of respect for Hank Hanegraaf. She says he has it all right about WOF. Unfortunately, after the beating she got growing up and in adulthood, she doesn't agree with his alternative. She wrote a paper in college on cults and went with the WoF Movement. She used Hank Hanegraaf as her main source.

BTW, here in OK, Oral Roberts University went into a huge amount of debt due to lavish living of their president. (I believe ORU is Osteen's alma mater.) Anyway, David Green, the CEO of HObby Lobby and Mardel, gave them a lot of money, with strings attached, to clear up the mess. I now know people who will not shop at Hobby Lobby because of this. People have very strong feelings about WoF.

Ok, I will admit I don't know diddly poo about Joel Osteen, well, except for the fact that he has great teeth! Like this :D

But, I watched that one minute youtube clip, and I didn't think it was that bad. He said that he doesn't believe you can believe in Christ and not have good works. I agree with that. I think the only path to the Father is through the Son, but I also think that if you know and love Jesus, you will want to do good works. Mr. Osteen also said that he can't judge who knows God (or something like that). I also agree with that. That is for God to judge.

Of course, I haven't seen the whole Larry King interview or any of Mr. Osteen's sermons, but I don't think we can judge by a 70 second clip. I know many of you have seen his sermons and know more about him.

I have heard some people who talk about how God wants us to be wealthy and prosper at all times. And that is not at all biblical. So, if that is what he teaches, that's definitely a problem.

What you are describing sounds very much like toxic faith to me. I cannot stand it when people are being told they are ill because they don't have enough faith or the right kind of faith.

I may not be finishing Osteen's book after all.

I didn't finish his book.

A few years ago, we were going through some hard trials with our older son. Tough stuff that stressed me to the max. Someone recommended Osteen's book, so I picked it up. A third or so of the way through he has an example of praying for a parking spot....God, open up a space for me in this crowded mall spot now and show my children your power and glory......something like that....

Anger washed all over me.

I kept thinking if people like that would leave God ALONE about parking places then maybe God would have enough time to help my son and our family.

:D

I shut the book and destroyed it.

Yes, I know God is big enough to find JO a parking place and help my son, but the point is I was hurting....bleeding to death....and all this little book could do was offer me a 'faith' very trivial. I'm glad I am a grounded, adult Christian with lots of faith walking under my belt and can recognize that God walks with us through the hard places, not just making the hard places go away.

I make it a point to park far from the doors anywhere these days just in case God needs to open up a parking space for someone else. Besides, walking is a good exercise. ;)

Awesome video - thanks for sharing! Just wanted to say that Paul Washer is an excellent preacher who gives it to you straight. Your ears will not be tickled, but you will have heard the truth about God and about yourself.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Paul Washer is one of my favorite preachers. He preached for a week at our church and it was awesome! But he does not mince words so if you are looking for someone to tell you how to "live you best life now", go listen to Osteen. If you want to hear the gospel and how to live your life to glorify God: http://www.heartcrymissionary.com/resources/sermons/paul_washer

I will say that at least for a while, my husband claimed to watch him some and to really like him. I'm not quite sure why, but ever since the first time I saw him speak I have had a very bad feeling about him. This was way before all the controversy with his wife on the plane, later things he's said that seem to me to imply that he is rather egotistical, etc. At the time, I was just listening to an unknown preacher (and did so on several occasions), but I always was left with a bad feeling....

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Paul Washer is one of my favorite preachers. He preached for a week at our church and it was awesome! But he does not mince words so if you are looking for someone to tell you how to "live you best life now", go listen to Osteen. If you want to hear the gospel and how to live your life to glorify God: http://www.heartcrymissionary.com/resources/sermons/paul_washer

:iagree: Paul Washer is excellent. We also enjoy sermons by Alistair Begg - he's Scottish and fun to listen to his accent. But very grounded in scripture. As for books and radio, we have been enjoying the ministry of Ray Comfort, Todd Freil, and Kirk Cameron at Wretched Radio.

At the beginning of Joel Osteen's rise to fame, a local pastor here did a series of, "What Would Jesus Say to (name of celebrity)?" One of those celebrities was Mr. Osteen. He cautioned us and encouraged us to weigh what Mr. Osteen says with what the Bible says. Some of those things Osteen says just.don't.jive with Scripture.

The sugary snack analogy is a good one. But remember, too much sugar can cause DECAY.

(Personally, I prefer Jesus when I need to be uplifted.)

...is based on reading one of his books (Your Best Life Now) and watching him on television occasionally. I've also read his mother's book, Healed of Cancer. I've never attended his church but if I lived in Houston maybe I would.

I don't even know where to begin concerning the negative comments. For starters though, I have never heard/read anything where he condemns the sick. Far from it. His own father was going through kidney dialysis before he died of a heart attack. His mother is a cancer survivor.

He encourages people to have compassion for others, to strive for excellence and have integrity, to not put limits on God, and other radical ideas that are in the Bible. Yes, he preaches messages about faith, hope, and love...and people should run away fast before this catches on! I'd like to know what he's supposed to be preaching instead...doubt, despair, and hate?

Maybe someone in the Houston area can speak to this, but from looking at his website it sounds like his ministry includes feeding/clothing the hungry and other good works. Again, if this is true, it's shocking behavior and he should be stopped.

Edited by Laurie

He is supposed to preach the Gospel... we are sinful, we need a savior, Jesus is that savior, REPENT, and BELIEVE. Teaching how to "have your best life now" gives us nothing but a bunch of sinners with high self-esteem.

What do you take issue with in this:

http://www.joelosteen.com/About/WhatWeBelieve/Pages/WhatWeBelieve.aspx

Have you read any of his books? Where exactly is he promoting sinful behavior? Certainly you're not suggesting that a "good Christian" must be full of self-hatred and shame?