Menu

Looking for info on autism and GFCF diet...

I have a friend whose grandchild was just diagnosed with autism and is needing help finding out what she can do.

Also, where can you buy gluten free pasta? I thought you could at the local grocery store but haven't found any.

We used this book when we were doing a GFCF diet 5 years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Children-Starving-Brains-Treatment-Spectrum/dp/1883647177/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241817094&sr=8-1

There may be something better out now, but this was helpful.

You can find GF pasta in health food stores or grocery stores with a health food section. It's not very appetizing IMHO, but my sons ate a lot of it when we tried the diet. Be aware that relatively few asd kids respond to the diet (2 kids out of about 20 at ds's school). It's well worth trying, but it's not a magic bullet for most kids.

Rice pastas are the most like regular noodles for a GF diet. I use them all the time for spaghetti and lasagna. Just don't over-cook or they will fall apart. I don't know a lot about autism, but there are lots of books (mostly written for people with celiac disease) about eating gluten-free. They usually include info for those with multiple food allergies.

I've found some things in the Chinese food section--rice crackers, rice noodles, etc.

Mostly, we've been getting our flour, etc. at Central Market. They have great coupons, & it's been nice for us because we can kind of dip our toes in the water a little at a time.

Also, I've gotten this book from the library, & so far, it's been really easy & great. I think if I find one more good recipe in there, I'll probably buy it: http://www.amazon.com/Special-Diets-Kids-Lisa-Lewis/dp/1885477449/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241821440&sr=8-1 .

Also, fwiw, I thought it would be easiest to begin to learn to cook gfcf w/ an all purpose mix. I was wrong. The mix I bought has been good for some things, but for most stuff, the flavor is just a little too...off. Since then, I've gotten a bag of rice flour, & w/ the recipes in the above book, I've got a lot more confidence to try new things.

GL--the ladies here have been a HUGE help. And I got lucky--a friend decided to try going gf (not cf for her) at the same time, so we've been able to help ea other out.

One more thing--having cooked rice on hand for quick stuff has been a lifesaver. I try to make up a bunch at the beginning of ea week.

Also, although you'll have to do more cooking from scratch, there seem to be good ways around a lot of basic ingredients. Most spinach noodles, for ex, have wheat in them, but if you get a recipe & make them yourself, it (should be) easily modified, kwim?

Not all the modifications are a straight shot, & I don't like to experiment in the kitchen, but w/ some rice flour & the cook book I mentioned & some courage, we ended up w/ a nice batch of blueberry muffins, a pizza w/ a crispy crust, & pancakes. Veggies are obviously a better choice in general, but I think these other things would make it easier to adapt to gfcf for a kid.

I get gf pasta at whole foods, safeway, wegmans and health food stores and amazon.

I get rice noodles used in chinese cooking from all of the above plus the local ethnic store.

I buy rice in 20 to 50 pound bags. I usually have cooked rice on hand. I also boil and cube potatoes to sub where I might have pasta.

If your friend is going to help the family try the gf diet, I recommend learning how to make desserts first. It's no fun for a kid to have to watch everyone else eat cake.

Your friend should find a local health food store to find gf items. If she finds something her grandson likes, she may be able to get it in bulk cheaper from Amazon.

As the family gets more comfortable, they can try buying flours from the ethnic store--this has saved me a lot of money. I could go on, but I think it's hard to absorb everything at once.

I get gluten free pasta at Kroger, Publix, and Whole Foods. However, not all Publix stores are created equal. We live in Ft Pierce, FL for most of the summer, and that Publix does not carry the selection that mine here in suburban Atlanta does. When I am in FL, I go to a natural foods store for my GF stuff. The best selection I have found is at Whole Foods.

Tina- I'm a Generation Rescue Angel and Board Member for TACA-Virginia (Talk about curing Autism).

I'm not sure where your friend lives? If it's in Georgia, then here's the closest TACA Meeting:

TACA of Georgia Meeting - May 16, 2009

TitleTACA of Georgia Meeting - May 16, 2009LocationThe Hyperbaric Therapy Center, 104 Colony Park Drive, Suite 500, Cumming, GA 30040 Directions from your locationDateMay 16, 2009Time2-4 p.m.DescriptionJulia Turner, MMSc, RD, LD Dietary Intervention for Autism and Related Disorders

A discussion of the various diets for autism with information to benefit beginners as well as those who are more advanced in their dietary approaches.

Julia Turner, MMSc, RD, LD, is a registered and licensed dietitian based in Georgia. She earned her Masters of Medical Science degree from Emory University with an emphasis on neonatal nutrition. She has worked for a number of years in clinical, private and educational settings. Her particular interest is providing services for adult and child clients with specialized nutritional needs due to developmental challenges, food and chemical allergies and sensitivities, gastrointestinal issues and sensory challenges involving food. Having personal experience in raising two children with special needs, Julia has developed a keen understanding of the unique challenges experienced by family members with special nutritional needs. She is a valuable resource for families that require specialized support.

Websitewww.tacanow.org/georgiaFeeFREE

and come June...

TACA of Georgia New Parent Seminar - June 13, 2009

TitleTACA of Georgia New Parent Seminar - June 13, 2009LocationThe Hyperbaric Therapy Center, 104 Colony Park Drive, Suite 500, Cumming, GA 30040 Directions from your locationDateJune 13, 2009Time9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.DescriptionNew Parent Seminar

After receiving the diagnosis of autism for a beloved child (or children), parents typically struggle as they search through various resources to locate information needed to help their child the fastest. The goal of the one-day New Parent Orientation is to provide parents and caretakers the “jump start†they need at the beginning of their journey from parents who have “been there, done that.â€

Parents/Caretakers: $28 registration per person OR $45 per couple

Scholarships are offered to families in need. Please inquire.

Websitewww.tacanow.org/georgiaFeeParents/Caretakers: $28 registration per person OR $45 per couple

Register Online

--------------------------

We have our son, Porter, who's almost 5 yrs old, on a GFCFSF (gluten free/casein free/ soy free) diet and supplement, biomeds and probiotics (we buy from Kirkman Labs) and he is progressing amazingly now!

I buy some GFCF foods at our local Allergy Free shop- NAVAN

But, I also make a bunch of them like: GFCF Waffles, GFCF Chicken Nuggets, GFCF Pizzas...

It's soooooo important for her to join a support group. At TACA we give our first timers The Autism Journey Guide...it has everything in there.

In the meantime, if she has more questions, she can contact me at: pegstamps@gmail.com (have her put 'Peg: Autism Q's' in the subject line, so I make sure to read it right away, k?)

Many hugs!