Menu

If you got an unexpected check in the mail...

Totally hypothetical, but if you got a $1000 check in the mail unexpectedly, what would you do with it. The only instruction in the letter accompanying the check is that the money should be spent on you and what *you* want. What would you do with it?

I'd use the money in the spirit of the offering and buy something that would personally benefit me and perhaps my family such as something for the house that I might not otherwise have gotten.

I'd also use it for something I personally want like some books or some clothing because I normally don't spend as much on myself as I do on my family.

And I'd put some on my debt because I would feel better than spending it all.

Totally hypothetical, but if you got a $1000 check in the mail unexpectedly, what would you do with it. The only instruction in the letter accompanying the check is that the money should be spent on you and what *you* want. What would you do with it?

Buy laptops for my children. :)

Responsibly: use it for dental work I need done (that is for me)

Extravagantly: Buy many things in my amazon cart. Buy some things for friends and have them shipped without telling them.

buy an alto saxophone for me and a trumpet for ds.

Pay for a 60 min massage for both dh and I.

I would buy a membership to a couple of the local places I've been wanting to join, but holding back on.

I would buy the new bedding for my bedroom I've been holding back on.

I'd put some aside in my own savings account to buy something here or there for myself (books, clothes, etc.)

I think I might take the remaining half and use it toward a family membership at the Y or the community center - something we've talked about but not done.

IMO, it sounds like the giver wanted the money to be used for something outside of the normal routine, something to add to the normal.

My DH and I just talked last night about using gift-type money to buy season tickets for baseball or football, so if the money was given to BOTH of us, then I think I would push for this.

Ummm. I so suck at this kind of thing. Anytime I've gotten money as a birthday or Christmas gift, its gone to the family needs, instead of to me :D With $1000, I'd catch up on our bills, which would leave me with a cpl hundred. I'd probably get some clothes for the kids, and maybe, MAYBE force myself to spend $100 on me...get some summer clothes, or new sandals...maybe even a new book or two! Or...if I was being really extravagant...there's this wall unit I'm dying to get, it would make our homeschooling so much easier, and let me get organized finally...maybe I'd pay off the bills and buy that...because that really WOULD be for me, because I'm the one going nuts from the disorganization :lol:

I have 3 appliances that are on their legs (washer, dryer and refridgerator). The refridgerator I want is between 12 and 15K. I gave up trying to figure out what would be good replacement washer, dryers. Anyway with an extra $1000 I'd be out the door with a review from consumer reports, trying to find a deal.

edit--the refridgerator 1200-1500 --I should just leave out abbreviations.

Edited by betty

I have 3 appliances that are on their legs (washer, dryer and refridgerator). The refridgerator I want is between 12 and 15K. I gave up trying to figure out what would be good replacement washer, dryers. Anyway with an extra $1000 I'd be out the door with a review from consumer reports, trying to find a deal.

What kind of refrigerator costs 12-15K?

I would love to go see my oldest sister and brother. They live within about 200 miles of each other are both in their 80's and I don't think either will get this way again. The thing is I know we couldn't do it for $3000 so I would probably finish purchasing our school things, maybe new the things I haven't been able to find used?and I would use the rest to hire someone to come and help with some of the projects that my husband hasn't been able to do this spring. There are several that need to be done but he just hasn't seemed to have had the strength to get them finished.

I'd put it in my vacation fund for our trip this summer.

:iagree:

This is what I would like to say I would do. Right now, I would probably sit on it until I knew the financial stress was gone or at least nearly gone. My ds is coming home from Iraq this fall and he wants us all to go to Disney with him. I would love to have extra money to do some fun things with everyone.

On a side note - my sister just got a lawsuit settlement she has been waiting for longer than 5 years. She got $3,000 more than she expected. She is taking me, my two kids, and my mom to Disney World for 7 days! I literally cried when she told me. I have been so stressed and this was exactly what I needed to hear! She will be getting us Florida resident passes, so we can use them again when my ds gets home.

I would put some money away to go out for a nice dinner with my husband for our wedding anniversary and plan a trip to the Great Wolf Resort for the family and put the rest into savings. It would definitely make me feel better and I would have a great time with the family.

Actually, I just did. It was for 950. I put it in savings.

I'd want to pretend to save it, and then when the tension got too great I'd go and buy fabric and books. Like Winnie the Pooh says, the anticipation just before you lick the hunny is what tastes best. In reality I'd go to the dentist.

Rosie

I'd split it 50/50 between two missionary couples we know personally, to help further the spreading of the Word of God. One couple is in Mexico, the other is back in the states after spending time in India.

That is honestly what I'd do. My dh too, I'm sure. We have no *needs*. Sure, we have wants. But not *needs*.

Haven't read to see what people picked yet - but this is easy peasy for me right now. We have work that needs to be done on the van and some insurance stuff to swap 'round. I also have to get my license changed from our old province to this one. The work & the ins changing would prolly eat up most of that 'unexpected cheque' -- and the timing on this post is almost painful as we ARE waiting on a cheque to do this stuff. D'OH! :tongue_smilie:

We got one like that last spring from my grandmother - all the grandchildren did. One cousin called it the "Grandmother Stimulus Payment.":lol:

We bought a rug and a bunch of materials for the house to finish some projects we wanted to do.

I wish I had it to do over again - I would have spent it differently. Most of the projects never got done and we no longer own that house.;)

I think right now I would spend it on Math-U-See and Barton Reading levels!

We buy 1/2 cow at a time. We live in an area where the power does go out at times, sometimes for a few days at a time. We though have a generator and dh hooks that up and we are good to go---even the AC, heat, etc. will run off the big generator.

QUOTE=Danestress;939245]Seriously? 400 pounds of meat? What happens of you lose electricity in a storm? I'm always afraid to stock up on grocery items for the freezer because I am sure we will have some kind of energy outage.

I'd get nicer digs and a safer rental car at the upcoming family reunion.

hmmmm, there are a few expensive items I have been looking at lately.

I need to replace my wedding ring and adding that money to the amount I am willing to spend out of our regular accounts would make it easier to find what I want.

I would really like a new refrigerator, but don't 'need' one so I have had a hard time spending the money on it.

I would like some shelving for the garage or maybe even a small outside garden shed to put some of the garage items into.

I would like to redo my kitchen cabinets and while this would only be a small portion of it....it would be a nice amount to add to the fund.

I would like to update our window coverings.

I would like to paint the inside and outside of our house. It would be a nice addition to the fund.

I would like a new area rug for the dining room.

I would like a new dining room table.

I would like to add the money to the fire place fund.

I would like new patio furniture.

I would like new bedroom furniture.

Hmmmm, I think I could go on for hours....maybe this will give you some ideas though :0)

Curriculum. I am patiently waiting for money for just that and I have high schoolers next year so it is really needed. We keep a list of important purchases so that when and if we ever get extra money we already know exactly what is next on the list. My hubby used to get a bonus once a year to cover these things but it has been 18 months since the last one so we are waiting on things like:family clothes & shoes, household maintainence, car maintainence & curriculum. Out of all of those Cirriculum is the most important to me.

A new desk and a couple of weekends away, for ME. I know, I'm selfish but that's what I'd do. I really want 2 of these.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19831149 .

I bought some new homeschool software, and I'm dying to get it set up with our curriculum. I'm also dying to just be able to get things organzed and set up for next year. Honestly, it is driving me crazy not having things all sorted out, knowing what I still need to get.

I would use half to pay down debt, and use the other half to pay the minimum payments on cc's, so I could take August off and be home with dd. If I could find a night job by that time, I'd buy her some violin lessons and use the rest of the half for debt.