Menu

Mail scam? Hey Florida folks...

Guest kacifl

Guest kacifl

We keep receiving a letter from a C.P.A firm claiming that we have funds that were never recover from our previous Health Insurance Company. The office is in Boca Raton, FL.

Anyone else getting these letters? Curious...

I'm in Florida and I have received several that say I have outstanding money to collect from an old property insurance policy. It says they will collect the money for me for a fee of 30%. I know it is true the money is there but I plan to check with the better business bureau before agreeing to have one of the companies claim the money for me. (If I ever get around to it at all. :tongue_smilie:) I have no way to reach the insurance company without a lawyer anyway. The company has been sold at least once. If they could get any of the money back, I'd be impressed. But, I wouldn't pay a dime to try and have it recovered - if they want money upfront I would assume it is a scam.

...and you get collect it for free.

The states take over abandoned accounts, and have to keep them in your name and pay interest on them. Check your state website to find out how to file a claim. Most states have the list of assets by name on their sites, so you can find out whether and what you own.

If you have ever lived in another state, you can check that state's website as well. Once I got a refund of an old electric company deposit that way, several years after the fact. I had moved away and forgotten about it, and the roommates who took over the account after I left didn't know about it.