Menu

Bob Jones History? Have you used it?

In the lower grades it's a semester course. My SIL, who does BJU straight, for every single subject, never did the separate grades of the BJU heritage studies until she started Homesat. Up till then she combined them, picking one book and doing all the kids together in the summer. Use some sense with this, kwim? It's a teacher-driven course, not a textbook/reader like Abeka.

My ds has enjoyed it. I particularly like the notebook pages for it, right up my alley. There are some worksheets: he write a sentence comparing himself to Robert LaSalle.

Robert LaSalle wanted to be an explorer, I want to be a ...

Then he draws a picture of what he wants to be. The other ones are fun papercrafts that you only need sciccors, crayons & glue. Make your own tepee, canoe, etc., or cut & paste this here.

It has been the right amount of work for a busy year. I do have the teacher's guide. I am not sure I plan on using it long term, the pages change from notebooking to more workbooky type pages at some point.

I tried it in the early grades but did not like the presentation. They present the material by topic so it appeared rather "scattered" - for lack of a better word. It jumped around without apparent reason behind it.

I did use some of 7th grade, however and found that to be a nice transition for us. We did not do it the entire year and only select portions of the text. Again, it does bounce around a bit and I do prefer chronological texts.

So, how many days per week do you need to use it finish it in a school year?

Thanks!

There are 60 lessons in Heritage Studies 1, 62 lessons in Heritage Studies 2, and 70 lessons in Heritage Studies 4. You could finish it over the course of a school year by doing it 2 to 3 times per week.

Dixie

I am planning on doing Heritage Studies 1 this year with my boys. But I'm tweaking it a little, a 'la WTM. For example, lesson 3 has a blurb on the Vikings, so we're going to take a week and study the Vikings through library books, etc. I also plan on doing that when we come across the explorers, Native American tribes, etc. I like the way the book is laid out for the most part. I agree, it's a little scattered, but it's better than A Beka, IMO.