Menu

Good practice for addition & subtraction fact families?

MrsMe

We just started playing a "Right Start" math game called "Addition War" (thanks for the suggestion Siloam/Heather) which is like regular War but you put down two cards (rather than one) and add their value. You can also do "Subtraction War".

The Right Start cards are kind of handy for this as there are a lot more number cards than in a regular card deck, but you could approximate the same thing with several decks of playing cards (sans face-cards).

But generally speaking, the Right Start games seem so promising to me for "buttoning up" math-facts in a fun way that I wouldn't miss out on adding them to the math mix.

HTHs

Bill

bjupress.com has 3 corner flash cards for addition/subtraction. They have 3 numbers on them, for example, 3 9 12. You teach 3 + 9 = 12, 9 + 3 = 12,

12 - 3 = 9, and 12 - 9 = 3. Item #: 087155. I use these. They are great!

I use the same concepts to teach multiplication/division.

Tammi

Here's a workbook approach for it... Two Plus Two is Not Five

I second this book. It has given my daughter very painless strategies to help her remember. We've used this with a combination of my own worksheets based on specific fact families she is having trouble remembering. Worksheets I make will ask her the same families over and over again.

I also drill her orally at least once a week to see which ones she truly knows and which ones she has to think about too much (these are the ones I make WS for). I have a chart from the back of our BJU math book and we put stars on the families she has mastered. She only gets a star if she has quickly answered (orally) all possible problems for that fact family (mixed with other facts) on about 3 different occasions. I put a check for the first time she does it quickly, turn it into an 'X' for the second time and finally put a star for the third. I also circle in pencil the ones I need to put on a worksheet. Later, when she has mastered them, I erase the circles. I only work on a few new families at a time. The chart helps me keep track of our progress. There is a chart for keep track in "Two Plus Two is Not Five". You could use that.

I like the online drills on the Math U See website. I use these to keep her practicing facts she has already mastered. There are also printable worksheets, but I usually prefer to make my own and use the WS from the book mentioned above.

Flash cards did not work for us. I finally sold them all at our local curriculum sale. I think the actual writing of the facts helps cement it for my DD.

This is what is working really well for my DD. I wish I had done this for DS.

Shannon