Menu

For those interested -Nancy Drew, a history lesson by a collector

titianmom

Hi all,

The topic came up in another thread, so I thought I'd share this with folks who have Nancy in their homes. I know one poster said that the plots are all the same, and to a degree that's true. These books were written to a formula layed out by Mr. Stratemeyer, the owner of the syndicate that created Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, and a myriad of other dime novels and childrens series back at the turn of the century on through about 1980ish.

Mr. Stratemeyer would create an outline and send it to his favorite ghost writers. Mildred Wirt wrote most of the early Nancy Drews, for ex. The ghost writers had only a short time to complete the manuscript and send them back to Stratemeyer, who edited them and sent them on to the publisher (Grossett and Dunlap).

But even at this, the quality of the writing and plots were better than the modern versions of the series. No, they aren't literary works of art. How could they be? But, the quality was still better, IMO. The older version are meatier at 25 chapters and over 200 pages. The newer ones? About 175 pages and a much thinner plot (refering to the revised versions that came out in the 60s-70s.)

Here's some more info I sent to another member of the forum:

I'd prob introduce (the original/classic Nancy Drews) about in the 5th/6th grade and I'll tell you why:

It isn't nec'ly that the reading level is too deep. They're written much better than the modern books, granted, and the plots are better - more interesting and the child can catch a glimpse of life in the 30s, 40s, 50s and early 60s which is fun to talk about and discover together. (As a boy, I'm sure he'd enjoy learning about old cars, like Nancy's roadster! What a hoot! :)

However, the reason I wouldn't read them aloud or have them read them on their own before, say, 5th/6th is there are racial steriotypes in them that were common in the 20s, 30s, etc. (The bad guys are always dark and foreign--part of the isolationist mentality back then, and blacks were uneducated servants.) Remember that back then there was a definite social class structure that was much more prominent than today. Guns were everywhere, just like today, so it was not unusual for Nancy to carry a revolver (at 16!). One of the more interesting episodes was during a car chase, where Nancy's father (lawyer) is chasing the bad guys in his coupe and shooting at the car ahead. The only actual shooting Nancy does is at a wild moutain cat in Arizona. Keep in mind, again, that everyone carried guns back then and it was no big deal to people, just like the old black and white movies depict. Also, the attitudes toward the police was quite diff than today; the police were often depicted as corrupt or incompetent, etc. (Many of them were bought out by organized crime, etc; esp during prohibition.) So when the child comes to those parts, they're interesting to discuss; you can go into history lessons on life in the 30s in America. My daughter really enjoyed that kind of thing.

In the late 1950s through the 60s, the Stratemeyer Syndicate who created and owned Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, etc began re-writing them to fit "modern times". During the revisions, Nancy Drew books were shortened and the image of Nancy was changed to be more lady-like and less precocious and opinionated to fit Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer's idea of the perfect teen (the earlier Nancy's were written by Mildred Wirt who was a very modern woman for her day--athlete, pilot, adventurer and writer).

So, pay attention to copyright dates when you find them in stores. The books were shortened during the revisions to 20 chapters vs 25 chapters and good plot meat was extracted, too, IMHO which is a shame, but they're still better than the newer ones, IMO. When they were re-written, the format was changed from blue books with dust jackets (except for really early revisions) to yellow spined hardbacks (matte finish).

Also, if you have a boy I'd consider the early Hardy Boys, too, which came out in 1928. The earlier ones are better than the modern ones, as well.

All of this talk of guns and stereotypes may turn you off, I don't know. But I just turned it all into a history lesson. These kinds of books were an escape for kids back then who didn't have anything other than daytime radio to listen to. So they were all avid readers and could write much better than today's kids because of this fact. I'm generalizing, of course. We have some good writers today, too.. But, IMHO, it's a good reason to get rid of the TV and video games!

Take care,

Kim

I have the reproductions of the 1950's/60's yellow hardbacks. I bought a bunch at Sam's a few years ago, but they are everywhere including B&N. I vastly prefer these over the "originals" that Applewood reproduced. I've compared them side by side, and I just like Nancy better in the later version. I detest the modern versions also. Just the yellow Nancys for me!

Hi,

The first 3 "seed" volumes came out in 1930 (Old Clock, Hidden Staircase, Bungalow Mystery). If you ever find them with a dj in a dusty old bookstore somewhere for cheap, pick them up. The first printings of them are very thick, plain blue with just the title at the top and plain end papers inside. They're worth tons of money in VG condition. (Talking thousands of dollars).

But you can find reprints of the original texts up through about 1959 for much less, of course. Usually you run across the "tweed" cover books--blue cloth weave with Nancy and a digger scene on the endpapers or a collage of scenes in blue on the endpapers. These are reprints from the 1950s and early 60s, or first printings of volumes that came out in the 50s and 60s. After the war, the economy was booming and the kids bought books in the millions back then, so naturally you'll find more of them in the bookstores.

Naturally most ND books out there are reprints. There are a total of 56 "original/classic" Nancy Drews. The first 38 were published with dust jackets, the remaining came out in yellow spined, matte finish hardbacks.

A new book came out about once a year. Often when you find them, there are no dust jackets - kids were in the habit of tossing them in the trash so many DJs didn't survive. The girls were better at keeping them than the boys, so you'll find a ton of Hardys without DJs.

The sad thing is, the dust jackets are worth more than the books. 2-3 times more... in VG condition.

The dust jackets will tell you more about which printing you have than the copyright. Usually found on the left/front flap of the dust jacket is a list of Nancy Drew books. If your title is at the very end of the list, then you probably have a first printing or a very early printing before the next volume came out.

And during the 1940s (WWII) the paper quality was poor, so the pages are tanned. Part of the rationing of the war period--another history discussion!

Here's a website with tons of information on Nancy Drew:

http://www.nancydrewsleuth.com

I also collect the new Trixie reprints, Connie Blair, Judy Bolton, etc.

This is a very fun and not too expensive hobby to do with your young kids. We read all the good literature, of course, but my daughter and I have fun looking for series books in old bookstores, and we read them together. We laugh over ice boxes and electric torches and jalopies. I credit our love of these old series books for her current "can't get enough of books" attitude. Plus, she knows a great deal of early modern history in this country because of these old books; they were a launching pad for further study. Well worth the investment.

Kim

I like many of the yellow flashlight editions, too. (Shiny yellow spines with flashlight at top.) Keep in mind that these flashlights were revised again in the 1990s. Not much changes were made, but I thought I'd point out that they're actually double revisions on some of the volumes ;)

I just love history and nostalgia, so it's the classics for me! :)

Forever a history buff,

Kim

I have the reproductions of the 1950's/60's yellow hardbacks. I bought a bunch at Sam's a few years ago, but they are everywhere including B&N. I vastly prefer these over the "originals" that Applewood reproduced. I've compared them side by side, and I just like Nancy better in the later version. I detest the modern versions also. Just the yellow Nancys for me!
Edited by titianmom

Thanks for all of the wonderful information! I feel a little less guilty about the years I wasted reading nothing but Nancy Drew. I will make sure my dds' reading is a little more well-rounded, but won't leave out the Nancy Drew. I read all of my Mom's ND books and now have them--7 blue tweed, 4 blue covers (I think a 1930 Hidden Staircase among them) and 4 yellow spines. They have all been read by quite a few people, so none is in very good condition. But definitely still usable for my dds!

My daughter and I laugh at some of them. "Swarthy" has been added to her vocabulary...

Read the orig Old Clock when she goes down to the lake to check out the Tophams' bungalow. Interesting...

Kim

I have a large collection. I started reading them in 3rd grade and have continued to read them throughout my life. I never noticed any racial stereotypes or guns. LOL

I have a bunch that my mom got for me from the family owned used bookstore we went to when I was a kid. I just went and looked at them and most have a yellow back and spine with a big picture on the front. All printed in the 50s with 20 chapters so I guess that makes them the modernized versions?

I have one with a blue cover, tan pages, 25 chapters, printed in 1943. So if I read this one in comparison to a yellow one, I'll notice a difference?

Big Nancy fans here. We have a lot of the older ones. We also love Trixie Belden, Happy Hollisters, Alfred Hitchcock's Three Investigators (Jupiter Jones), Betsy~Tacy, and for young kids, Carolyn Haywood series (Betsy, Eddie). I've collected a lot over the years, my little hobby.

I have a bunch that my mom got for me from the family owned used bookstore we went to when I was a kid. I just went and looked at them and most have a yellow back and spine with a big picture on the front. All printed in the 50s with 20 chapters so I guess that makes them the modernized versions?

I have one with a blue cover, tan pages, 25 chapters, printed in 1943. So if I read this one in comparison to a yellow one, I'll notice a difference?

20 chapters means either a revision or a later 1960s volume.

Let's see, 1943... that'll be prob Jewel Box. That story was just gutted a bit; the orig storyline remained the same in the revision. (Some revisions were complete re-writes of the story with a diff plot!)

If anyone is interested:

http://www.keeline.com/Nancy_Drew.pdf

Kim

Happy Hollisters! We have those, too. Forgot about 'em. I have too many books...

I read those before Nancy when I was a kid.

kim

Big Nancy fans here. We have a lot of the older ones. We also love Trixie Belden, Happy Hollisters, Alfred Hitchcock's Three Investigators (Jupiter Jones), Betsy~Tacy, and for young kids, Carolyn Haywood series (Betsy, Eddie). I've collected a lot over the years, my little hobby.

20 chapters means either a revision or a later 1960s volume.

Let's see, 1943... that'll be prob Jewel Box. That story was just gutted a bit; the orig storyline remained the same in the revision. (Some revisions were complete re-writes of the story with a diff plot!)

If anyone is interested:

http://www.keeline.com/Nancy_Drew.pdf

Kim

You're good! Yes, it's The Clue in the Jewel Box. So even that's not an original? What a bummer.

I really want to read an original 1930s version now, to compare. Is Applewood books the only place to find the 1930s reprints? I just looked at Amazon and saw a yellow flashlight that said a 1930s date, but upon further investigation when looking inside it, it showed three copyright dates- 1930 something, 60 something, and 90 something. (Can't remember exactly, too lazy to go look again). So it doesn't appear that Amazon is a safe bet for reprints of the originals. Where should I look?

Thanks!

ETA: I found the Applewood Books reprints on Amazon, I should think before I post. ;) It's past my bedtime apparently.

Edited by Annie Laurie

I loved the Nancy Drew series when I was younger. I have collected the entire yellow spine series. Some are the original (30s, 40s) others are 50s and a couple of 60s. I prefer the older ones.

For fans, there were two movies put out based on books. The Hidden Staircase and Password to Larkspur Lane (which was titled Nancy Drew, Detective.) There were two other movies just based on her character; Nancy Drew, Reporter and Nancy Drew, Troubleshooter. They are from 1938 and 1939 and are supposed to be quite good, although I haven't seen them. Netflix has them all I believe.

I have seen them! With Bonita Granville. They are charming! I highly recommend them. And if you're worried about Ned the boyfriend -- don't. They are clearly only buddies; there is NO ROMANCE in them whatsoever! And they're only about an hour long. I love the way people dressed in that era, with high school aged girls/young women wearing suits. If you like that girl detective genre (or their fashion), I highly recommend Hitchcock's "Shadow of a Doubt."

Wow, I used to read a lot of these as a girl but I certainly missed the shootouts!!!

The shoot-outs were mostly in the really early volumes, copyright 1930s. If you read the matte-finished yellow books, there were no shoot-outs (either revised or later volumes from the 60s, etc).

Kim

EARLY Originals will be blue books with either orange lettering/silhouette on the front, or perhaps dark blue from the 1940s, for ex. Again, there are 56 originals, and the first 38 will be blue books with dust jackets if you're willing to pay for one with a jacket.

The jackets were either done by Russell Tandy, a NY fashion illustrator, or Bill Gillies in the 1950s. They're very colorful and really helped to sell the books back then.

The remaining volumes (after the initial 38) were yellow matte-finished hardbacks, illustrated by Gillies.

Check out http://www.nancydrewsleuth.com for more info on the order of the volumes, etc.

If you want the originals, there are a few places to hunt for them:

eBay - search "Nancy Drew" DJ or just "Nancy Drew" - buyer beware. Check "completed items" to see what a book usually goes for before bidding.

online bookstores: Abebooks, Alibris, etc. Sometimes I find some bargains there.

used bookstores that specialize in childrens books -sometimes they're underpriced, sometimes overpriced.

Again, let the shopper beware, and buy a useful guide. I'd recommend for the average collector John Axe Girls' Series that you can get cheap on eBay, usually. For serious, hard-core collectors: Farah's Guide, which sells for about $95. (OUCH!) but it's the Bible for Nancy Drew collectors.

antique stores...sometimes I get really lucky in these places and pick up copies for very reasonable prices.

Kim

FWIW, I have the Applewoods, All of the 56 originals in Jacket/matt-finish, plus some bookclub volumes, and hard-to-find volumes and misc collectibles, like a Canadian version and American version of the 1957/1959 board game. It's been fun finding these for a steal over the past 6-7 years and my daughter will either inherit them, or I'll sell them to buy college books some day. By that time all of them will cover the cost of about 1 class, it'll be so expensive to go to school (sigh). Ha!

Actually, I doubt she'd let me sell them.

You're good! Yes, it's The Clue in the Jewel Box. So even that's not an original? What a bummer.

I really want to read an original 1930s version now, to compare. Is Applewood books the only place to find the 1930s reprints? I just looked at Amazon and saw a yellow flashlight that said a 1930s date, but upon further investigation when looking inside it, it showed three copyright dates- 1930 something, 60 something, and 90 something. (Can't remember exactly, too lazy to go look again). So it doesn't appear that Amazon is a safe bet for reprints of the originals. Where should I look?

Thanks!

ETA: I found the Applewood Books reprints on Amazon, I should think before I post. ;) It's past my bedtime apparently.

Thanks for this fantastic thread! I, too, felt guilty for having spent at least a year or two of my youth reading Nancy Drew almost exclusively (ND and Dickens, believe it or not!). We just moved into a new house. As I unpacked, I found two large boxes with all my ND's and was just wondering what to do with them. I'll keep them after all, now with my chin up :) I wonder if my boys will ever get into them...

Way back long ago, Nancy Drew (along with many other kids' series) was banned from the libraries for being "unhealthy, bad literature". However, millions were bought by parents for their kids as presents, and book mobiles around the country sold tons of them as they traveled around in the neighborhoods.

Finally the libraries wisened up and realized that the kids were reading and started putting them back into the libraries.

There are many, many testimonies of published authors and women in important positions who attribute their success and careers to reading Nancy Drew. They say that the girl detective inspired them to try things they never would have tried, otherwise.

Of course, you need to read great literature. We read everything, here; my daughter loves the Wrinkle in Time series, Tolkein, Anne of Green Gables, Shakespeare (Nancy Drew loved Shakespeare, so now she's reading Midsummer Night's Dream), etc, etc.

One thing about the classic Nancy, esp in the 50s, was that she was depicted as being very smart and very well educated. She could quote from the classics, for ex, and knew her history inside and out. So, IMHO, she makes a fairly decent role model for girls (and boys).

Also, since you have boys, I think the Rick Brant Science Adventures series is a lot of fun! We have a few of those, also.

FUN FACTOID: For any of you who remember Jonny Quest: This cartoon series was based upon the Rick Brant Science Adventures series! So, if you loved JQ, you'll like Rick Brant.

Kim

Take care,

Kim

Edited by titianmom

We'd read them under the covers with a flashlight. But I liked being spooked ;). I never had any nightmares, though. I never saw anything in them that was scary, IMO. Suspenseful cliff-hangers at the end of the chapters sometimes, but nothing scary.

My daughter is reading Trixie right now and enjoying them. I've tried to get her to read Judy Bolton and Connie Blair. I think she'd like Connie, more, though.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Kim

Nancy Drew books gave me nightmares. Trixie Belden was my favorite, though.