Menu

MUS,can you help with the planning stages?

I am "attempting" to plan my year out for the first time ever and I have a long range goal for my son with MUS but don't know how to get started, Can you help?

Here's the run down, we are schooling year round but probably 6 weeks on 1 week off and we are using MUS Gamma this year with 30 lessons but heres where I'm not sure how to handle this. looking at long range plans l really wanted him to go MUS all the way to trigonometry, that is 8 books away ok we only have 5 years left to school, would it be impossible to fit a total of 9 books in 5 years I assume each book has 30 lessons,Gamma does. Also schooling year round is something new for us so I don't having anythng set in stone yet. Could this goal get accomplished some how without being to much strain on him ? So how do I start?

We usually do one chapter per 4 day week, so 30 chapters equals 30 weeks. If the material is review for him or if he is exceptionally quick with math, you might be able to go a little faster. So if you are going at our pace, I think you could get about a book and a half in per year.

In general, we do the DVD and go over page A together, then dd does page B herself on Mondays. Tues. she does pages C and D, Wed. she does E, and Thur. she does F, which we consider as our weekly math quiz. (We do extra logic on Fridays.) My dd is one who does better without huge amounts of repetition, so we occasionally skip right to D, E, and F is she totally gets the material.

Well, if my math is correct, in 5 years, going 6 weeks on 1 week off, doing 1 chapter per week, you would get through 7.5 books. So you would only be 15 chapters shy of accomplishing your goal. The first few chapters of each book are easy review anyways and can easily be combined. Truth is, you will probably finish sooner than you think. My ds is in Zeta right now and we are currently doing TWO chapters a week because it is easy for him. As we get further in and it gets more difficult we will slow down but in the end, it never takes us 30 weeks to finish a book.

Wel, my ds13 is in the middle of going through 3 books in 2 years to be on track for Alg. in 9th. I schedule in 2 chapters a week for him and he does the video, A, D, and the test. Sometimes, He will watch the video, do A and then take the test because he just gets it. Occasionally he needs the entire week and all 6 pages to get the chapter. Also, when he started Gamma, he had done the old Foundations previously, so he just went through the test booklet taking one test a day until he reached new material, then switched over to doing the exercises. So if your son is motivated, it can be done. That is 270 chapters of material to cover. at a schedule of 6 weeks on and 1 off, that gives you 222 school weeks in 5 years. So if you think your son can handle doing 2 chapters a week for at least 50 of the chapters, it is doable.

Yes, it is doable.

I'd have him do 2 pages a day and skip the weekly tests, which is just a duplicate for the first three pages. That will get each lesson done in 3 days. The year will be completed in 18 weeks. We're only up to Delta but a page has never taken more than 20 minutes to complete; that's the harder ones at the end of the year. In the beginning of the year, they take my kids 5-10 minutes to complete.