Menu

Favorite brand of dog harness and lead?

I'm not sure if this meets the standards of "harness" as such but I love the Gentle Leader. It fits over their nose and the lead is clipped to it under their chin. It is like a bridle in that it turns the dog from the nose - it has worked wonders for my dogs who used to pull like crazy. A choke chain would just make them pull more.

http://www.buygentleleader.com/View.aspx?page=dogs/products/behavior/gentleleader/description

I got mine at Petco.

And another vote for the Gentle Leader. We adopted a catahoola (a WILD catahoola) a few years ago, and he used to pull our kids through the field and into the woods. He was a madman! A sweet, sweet dog but totally unsocialized. The Leader solved it and now he walks fine on a non-training harness. Sandy

oh, hands down, the Gentle Leader/Halti. One of our Jack Russells had her throat ripped open by a wild animal (we think) and we couldn't put anything on her neck so we got a Halti (they are cheaper than the Gentle Leader) and it works wonderfully. I wouldn't use anything else!

One more vote for the Gentle Leader/Halti. It allows my children to safely walk our young and sometimes silly Golden Retriever. It also allows me to walk her without having her pull free of my arthritic hands. She's a good girl, but young and strong.

We discovered the Halti about 20 years ago when our first Golden was at this same bouncy, silly stage. It's wonderful. It's 100% effective, and very gentle. The Gentle Leader hit the market more recently. It seems to be practically the same, only slightly more affordable.