Menu

Please compare SL LA to FLL and WWE

Guest bookwormmama

Guest bookwormmama

Ok I have been toying with doing FFL and WWE this next year... have used Sonlight LA all along, ever since starting homeschooling. Mostly we skip a lot of the creative expression exercises and only do the writing assignments once in awhile. We usually do the copywork, the spelling, the reading assignments, and the phonics workbooks. That's worked well for us. However, I have looked at both FLL and WWE and was very impressed with what I saw. I have considered switching for school next year though I think I would also need to get a separate spelling program then too.

So tell me what are the pluses/minuses to FLL and WWE compared to Sonlight's Language Arts programs? Anyone switch and didn't like it or anyone switch and loved it? I am nervous about using something different having been using Sonlight for so long and I love the "open and go" aspect of our LA program... is that still possible with FLL and WWE?

Give me the low down!

Thanks!:)

I got them 2 weeks ago and we started them last week. I think they actually overlap a little. I love the WWE's idea of teaching the kids the "language" of written language before making them come up with original ideas and write them at the same time. Level 1 of WWE is all copywork and narration. The sentences to copy and the narration passages get longer throughout the year as the kids get better at it. Level 2 moves into dictation instead of copywork, as I understand it.

I got the WWE Level 1 workbook for my 1st grader since I don't have the time/energy to come up with my own copywork/narration passages. (I bought an extra set of student pages so I can use the book again with my dd4 in a couple years). I also like that the passages chosen in the book are teaching the concepts they are supposed to. I've been choosing my own passages for my 6th and 4th graders and I'm not so confident in my own choices:D. But, I'm trying to whip the olders through the 1st-4th grades of WWE at a much faster pace. They are obviously more fluent in the written language than my 1st grade emerging reader. He's doing it as written.

The first grader is also doing FLL (starting at the beginning and as written). I'm wondering if I really needed both programs?? Do they really need grammar in 1st grade? Especially if they are getting a thorough grounding in the written language from the writing program? I don't know. I've just ordered Easy Grammar for my olders who've never really done more than nouns/verbs/adj/adverbs.

Sorry, this is getting really long;). I used SL LA for the first 13 weeks of Core 3 (Fall 2007). I absolutely hated it. Why? Several things: one of which is that it was my first time hsing and I had no idea what I was doing. Also, Ruth Beechik's methods just don't work for my kids, the need structure and predictability and SL just wasn't giving us that.

If you're kids have a fairly good handle on grammar you may not need FLL. I really like WWE.

Hopefully someone with more experience will respond!

Guest bookwormmama

Jen, your response was very very helpful actually, thank you! :}

My kids do NOT have a thorough grounding in grammar. We have used Sonlight all along and though I know Sonlight uses a lot of copywork and narration, they are really weak in the grammar and spelling areas. They are very heavy in creative writing and my kids are great at creating their own stories and such and know how to write a good paragraph but their grammar and spelling is atrocious!

If WWE and FLL is redundant, I am wondering why they are recommended to do together? I will have to go look at their samples online.

Thanks so much

We are big fans of WWE and FLL. Right now I have 2 dd, one in WWE level 1 and FLL 1 and the other in WWE level 2 and FLL 3. The books are not redundant; however, there is some overlap. For example, I may skip narration in the FLL 1 book.

Midway through the year I was tempted to jump ship for another grammar program and my dh encouraged me to stay the course. I'm so glad because now I am seeing the benefit of sticking with both these books for the year in both writing, narration ability and grammar knowledge. I was worried that FLL 3 has, what I think of as, advanced grammar, but the lessons teach and reteach and reteach. The repetition does get it in their brains sooner or later. And a great bonus is each lesson takes no more than 10 minutes, usually.

If you do go the FLL route, do buy the CD. After a few hearings, my kids could chant helping verbs and other grammar lists.

We switched midyear from Sonlight Language Arts to FLL (2nd grader) and to Abeka (4th, 6th graders) after I read TWTM. We have always done copywork and dictation, but now the dictation makes sense!! For example, after practicing with commas in Abeka or FLL and then taking a dictation exercise my children understand where to put commas. I could spend months going over their dictation exercise and telling them where they needed commas, or they could spend one week practices commas in a workbook. I can't begin to tell you how pleased I am with the way they have progressed in grammar since we switched. We had even tried ACE grammar with Sonlight. It just wasn't enough practice.

HTH, Jenn

Can you tell me how you like MUS? Just wondering-I have three girls each two years younger than your three (no boy). I am beginning again with HS after some time in public school. We used Abeka and I am interested in grammar for the older two-4th and 5th next year. Anyway-still up in the air about curriculum.

Thanks,

First of all SL is not a mastery program and FLL and WWE are. What do I mean? RB/SL seeks to familiarize the child with grammar, but not master it. The writing focus is hands down creative writing. The spelling in the LA is more for reinforcing reading and is only done once a week. FLL and WWE work on memorizing grammar definitions, and applying them. Though I don't find the way they go about memorizing tedious. You don't drill the child daily in the same old terms.

I am actually waiting till my kids are in 2nd grade to start both FLL 1 and WWE 1, but I also hs year around and in a couple of years we will be back at grade level. I personally find FLL a little too scripted, but that might be because I am using it with older kids (my fault), but I don't find it a big deal to just skip the parts they already know. You don't have to follow the script to a T. WWE 1 alternates copywork and narration 4 days a week. In WWE 2 you move into dictation as well. The only thing that drives me nuts is I just get into a passage when it ends. :D Our to read list is getting longer as well, but that really isn't a bad thing, hua? I just skip the copywork exercises in FLL. I still do the narrations, mostly because we enjoy the stories.

If you are looking for a good, but gentle spelling program I highly recommend All About Spelling. You set the pace, so you can have it take as much or as little of the day as you have, though I do recommend it daily vs. SL being weekly. The review you can also customize and so as much as needed with the words or concepts they are struggling with.

Heather

Guest bookwormmama

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, this is great!

Where would I start my daughter next year? she is just finishing up Sonlight LA 2 Intermediate. My son is finishing up Sonlight LA 1. I don't know where to start them both and I don't want to skip anything important that might help them but I also don't want it to be so advanced that they hate it either.

What do you use for readers? Do you continue with the Sonlight readers?