Menu

Latin...starting with a student in 11th grade...suggestions?

Last question...I promise...

Okay. My dd16 is already doing Spanish. She will complete Spanish 1 for this year (10th) and will take Spanish 2 for 11th and Spanish 3 for 12th. This will be her foriegn language for hs.

Question: What should she use for an introductory Latin course? We really just want the basics and don't want it to be TOO time consuming as we are following many WTM rec's and the schedule is beginning to fill up. A simple introduction to Latin for 11th and 12th grade would be fine. She will probably do this with her younger brother (7th grade next year). I've heard of some using Latina Christiana 1 & 2 with high school aged students or maybe the new course from Memoria---First Form Latin, I believe it's called (correct me if I'm wrong...I need to look that up again).

Any suggestions welcome. We would appreciate something not TOO heavy on religion, some is okay. I guess not overly preachy is what I'm trying to convey.

Thanks,

Robin

We are using "getting started with Latin" by William E Linney. This is a great introduction to Latin and is secular. It introduces one new thing per lesson, when you have mastered that, on you go. A huge bonus is free online MP3 lessons/pronunciation guides. (both classical and ecclesiastical) Both i and ds 12 love 'getting started' It was the first Latin programme that I, as an adult self learner, was able to understand! I have now moved onto First Form and am on lesson 3. I am on lesson 72 of Getting Started.

When ds reached lesson 20 we have introduced lesson 1 of First Form (from memoria). I expect this lesson to take about 2 weeks to do, but we will also do a lesson from 'Getting Started' daily during this time. First form is not secular but not preachy either. the first memory 'verse' is Oremus (let us pray)

BTW Getting Started is one reasonabally priced book. Answers in the back and lessons free online.

We are using "getting started with Latin" by William E Linney. This is a great introduction to Latin and is secular. It introduces one new thing per lesson, when you have mastered that, on you go. A huge bonus is free online MP3 lessons/pronunciation guides. (both classical and ecclesiastical) Both i and ds 12 love 'getting started' It was the first Latin programme that I, as an adult self learner, was able to understand! I have now moved onto First Form and am on lesson 3. I am on lesson 72 of Getting Started.

When ds reached lesson 20 we have introduced lesson 1 of First Form (from memoria). I expect this lesson to take about 2 weeks to do, but we will also do a lesson from 'Getting Started' daily during this time. First form is not secular but not preachy either. the first memory 'verse' is Oremus (let us pray)

BTW Getting Started is one reasonabally priced book. Answers in the back and lessons free online.

Why do you start the First Form before you're done with the other one? We haven't done Latin and my ds will be in 10th grade, so I am just curious, as well, at how to go about it.

Why do you start the First Form before you're done with the other one? We haven't done Latin and my ds will be in 10th grade, so I am just curious, as well, at how to go about it.

More practice! I need it!

Getting Started got me, well, started, when I was just gazing at First Form in despair (this is for me learning it not ds) but I am maybe a slow learner so I am following along in First form now. The big difference is that about 50 new things are introduced per lesson in First Form, only one at a time in Getting Started.

Also Getting Started only does Latin to English translation. I need practice in both directions. So I learn things in Getting Started and then practice them in First Form. It does not follow the same scope and sequence but it seems to work for me.

More practice! I need it!

Getting Started got me, well, started, when I was just gazing at First Form in despair (this is for me learning it not ds) but I am maybe a slow learner so I am following along in First form now. The big difference is that about 50 new things are introduced per lesson in First Form, only one at a time in Getting Started.

Also Getting Started only does Latin to English translation. I need practice in both directions. So I learn things in Getting Started and then practice them in First Form. It does not follow the same scope and sequence but it seems to work for me.

So you feel that will work for your ds as well---to get some groundwork then use First Form to work from English to Latin as well as what Getting Started does from Latin to English? Sounds like a good plan! I need to find those and see if I can handle them. I have no background with Latin at all, so I'm rather intimidated by the thought of it!

Ds is on lesson 22 in Getting Started, and has just looked at first form. He has learnt Latin verbs are important and they come in families. The first family (or conjunction) he noticed end in 'o'. He has called them "lego" verbs...lego, legas, legat, legamus, legatis, legant :D

I have no idea if the other conjuctions end in 'o' as well.....

He loves Getting Started, and we are taking First Form slowly.

BTW it is called "getting STARTED with latin", it is an introduction. I don't know how this would work for credits etc. I am not from the US and we don't count creditshere (and ds is not High school yet)

I wouldn't recommend something that moves as slow as Getting Started with Latin for an 11th grader, especially one who has already studied Spanish, which will make Latin a lot easier. I am using Latin Prep with my 9th grader. Latin Prep is really a middle school course, but my 9th grader is a reluctant Latin student , and it's turning out to be perfect for him. I think it would be o.k. for an 11th grader if you move very fast (at least 2 chapters per week.) It does have the advantage that it explains the grammar very thoroughly and with references to English grammar (my 9th grader complained about that part--it made him feel like they thought he was stupid.) And there is online help available for parent or student. I used Salvete for my (now) 11th grader when he was in 5th and 6th grade. He enjoyed it very much, but after 2 years of it, knew almost no grammar, so I don't recommend that, either. Then I switched him to Smith and Thompson's, a vintage book I picked up at the library bookstore. That book was great, but I wouldn't recommend it for a parent who didn't already know Latin (I majored in classics in college). Finally, at his request, because he had a friend who was using it, we switched to Wheelock's. That's also a good course, and the one I think I'd recommend for an 11th grader with a parent who doesn't know Latin.

Here is a good resource for comparing Latin curricula. http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/curricula/reviews/latincomparison.php