Menu

Another SWR quest: anyone use phonos. and rules with another program?

Another Lynn

I was just wondering if anyone is using the SWR phonograms and rules (and markings?) with a different spelling or vocabulary program. If so, which one, do you like it, why, etc, etc.

I'm sticking with SWR for awhile and I got the "My Wise Grammar" to help us with enrichments... but I just don't feel ds gets enough time "playing around" with the words (without me! - I want a workbook!). On the SWR Yahoo loop one of the trainers has made her blog available and she is spending 1 hour a day doing SWR with her kids - I just cannot do that.

All thoughts and comments welcome! Thanks!

I used SW before switching to SWR, and thinking back, I see no reason why you couldn't use this with the SWR rules & phonos. The kids loved SW, mostly because of the crossword puzzles, and it would give them the chance to play around with the words. I would probably still dictate the lists originally, or at least give several sentences (maybe from the WISE guide) as dictation exercises to round out the instruction.

I used SW before switching to SWR, and thinking back, I see no reason why you couldn't use this with the SWR rules & phonos. The kids loved SW, mostly because of the crossword puzzles, and it would give them the chance to play around with the words. I would probably still dictate the lists originally, or at least give several sentences (maybe from the WISE guide) as dictation exercises to round out the instruction.

Thanks! Is SW Spelling Workout?

Lynn, have you considered the audio cd's for SWR? It will allow your dc to practice their words independently.

I can't imagine spending an hour a day on SWR, oh my. Pick a sensible amount of time and be consistent. You don't need to burn them out or give them spelling fatigue. Maybe this trainer is using SWR to bring in many components into one giant LA/SWR session? See if you are of a mind to, you can use your SWR time to teach grammar, writing, etc. That's not necessary though. In fact, I think dictation and just bulking up on WRITING throughout the day is the best way to get things to stick. I'd find some balance in your life. Pick a reasonable amount of time to spend (15-20 minutes) and be very efficient. 5 minutes to flip through some rules and phonograms, 10 minutes to dictate as many words as you can, 5 minutes to play Mother May I or another game with the words. That's it. The first time through a list I dictate the words and the next time through the list (that repeat/overlap from year to year) I dictate the Wise Guide sentences. I may not be the best teacher ever, but it's adequate for us.

I was just wondering if anyone is using the SWR phonograms and rules (and markings?) with a different spelling or vocabulary program. If so, which one, do you like it, why, etc, etc.

I'm sticking with SWR for awhile and I got the "My Wise Grammar" to help us with enrichments... but I just don't feel ds gets enough time "playing around" with the words (without me! - I want a workbook!). On the SWR Yahoo loop one of the trainers has made her blog available and she is spending 1 hour a day doing SWR with her kids - I just cannot do that.

All thoughts and comments welcome! Thanks!

Lynn,

Yes, my SIL is doing that and Classical Writing recommends using the SWR/Spaulding mark up methods with their spelling portion.

I don't spend 1 hour a day, but I don't have them spend a lot of time with the words either.

Generally my older two cover the phonogram CD while writing the words and saying the sounds on Monday, Tuesday we go through the stack together, the rest of the week we only cover the phonograms they didn't know when I went through the stack with them (3-5 of them). The rest of the week we also cover the spelling rules.

For spelling I give them the words cold, then if they get them wrong we mark them up, from there I give them the word daily till they can spell it right three days in a row. After that I mark it and we cover it a week later. If they get it right we cover it a month later, and at that point I consider it mastered. If they get it wrong at any point I go back to getting it right three days in a row.

Not ideal but it works here, and both girls are spelling a year ahead of their grade level.

When my oldest has finished SWR (or I need some time freed up for something else ;) ) I plan on using Megawords. But that doesn't even start till 4th grade and it sounds like some people can cover more than one book in a year.

Heather

I use the SWR phonogram's in just about every subject . . . especially with ds#2. We're always on the look-out for the phonograms.

The program itself -- take me into a field and just shoot me now. There. I said it . . . we've got a lovely array of phonics workbooks but truly, the best time we have with phonograms is actually reading and figuring out how a word is read by using the phonogram clues.

sigh.

I worked hard to figure out SWR, but I'm too CM-y to pound home spelling in that manner. My ds#1 is writing up a storm (decided to be an entrepreneur by penning his own book) and I find spelling sticks much better when he's actually using the words.

Different strokes for different folks.

Cheers, Tricia

Here's the thing: You could do that as long as you don't expect the same results as if you were actually doing SWR. The phonograms and rules are useful, but there's more to the method than that.

I've had that discussion with some folks about Spalding. "It doesn't work," they say. "Oh, well, what do you do each day?" I ask. "Well, we are using [insert name of other publisher here] and applying the Spalding markings and rules." "Oh," I say. "Then you aren't doing Spalding, so you can't blame Spalding for not working.":D

So, sure, give it a shot. The rules really do work, and the phonograms make more sense to me than the way many other methods teach them, as long as you are cognizant of the fact that you are not doing SWR, KWIM?

I do--

I love SWR. I love the explanations in the Manual. i like the lists. i like the activities. I've attended one seminar and would attend another in a heartbeat! But i can't do a strict schedule, lol.

So we apply the markings and rules wherever we come across them. I'm still a fan of A Beka's Handbook for Reading, but we chart the specific phonograms and their sounds a la SWR. i love MCP Phonics workbooks, but i still use SWR markings to keep things clear and avoid confusion later. 10yo does a SWO book independently, but we still collect words on the SWR charts whenever we get around to it.

I'm pleased w/ the results so far :D

But yeah --like Ellie said, if you don't work the program, don't be surprised if the program doesn't work ;-) some kids need the absolute standards a specific program provides. Good luck!