Menu

DITHOR - anyone NOT like it?

We've used CLE in the past and did like it, but I was wanting to use living books for reading instead of readers. We've been trying just having them read a chapter in a book and narrate to me, but wow. THAT is open-ended LOL!!! So I was hoping for some sort of structure while still using living books.

We've been trying just having them read a chapter in a book and narrate to me, but wow. THAT is open-ended LOL!!! So I was hoping for some sort of structure while still using living books.

because we have the structure of CLE reading.

Have you looked at Reading Strands or Critical Thinking by Stout? They are both excellent resources. Also the questions in TWTM for literature are helpful too (pg 345, 2004 book) .

Can you describe what you mean?

Can you give an example?

Thanks!

Hmm, I'm sorry for being vague. It has been nearly a year since we used the program. I just pulled the books out to refresh my memory. I now realize that the biggest area of trouble I had was actually more tied to the Storytime questions in BLHFHG. :tongue_smilie:

For DITHOR, I think we chose the first Boxcar Children book for our mystery. It turns out that it wasn't very mysterious. :lol: Whatever the book was that we used, I just recall that it didn't "fit" the questions. It was along the lines of the assignment talking about tension in the plot and there hadn't been any yet in our book. That isn't a problem with DITHOR itself, it was just our book choice. In the biography section, there was a time to talk about responsibility or some other positive character trait. At that point, our main character was still a child and our book hadn't covered anything relevant. The only character to really talk about was the alcoholic father who showed a true lack of responsibility.:glare: I suppose that using Carrie's book choices would eliminate this problem.

As I mentioned, dd really enjoyed the prereading activities and I do plan to use DITHOR next year. Dd will be writing better and may be able to use more of the worksheets. Her handwriting was much too large for her to write in the various boxes and bubbles. She can read more interesting and advanced books also.

One thing I really like about DITHOR is that it does not focus on asking comprehension questions. Dd has outstanding comprehension, and is easily irritated by being asked obvious questions.

What I said about it not being "open and go" turns out to be BLHFHG, not DITHOR. I had to write out the questions on a sticky and cover them when they cropped up in the story to make it work.