Menu

If they call you in for an interview but

Considering that he is looking for an entry level position, I would suspect something is not quite right.

I do know that sometimes companies that plan to, but have not, fired someone in a very specific position, will do this so the person doesn't find out that the company has posted thierr position, quit and leave them shorthanded. I have also heard of companies doing this when they plan to layoff higher paid employees and replace them with 'temp' employees at a lower wage. Either case isn't a company I would want to work for.

Who did the calling for the interview?

If it was an employment agency/head hunter, that's standard procedure...because if they told you the name of the employer and/or the position than you could by-pass them and go directly to the employer. They want you to come in the office and sign the contract before they'll give you that information. BUT....he would have signed up for this and should know the procedure ahead of time.

If you're talking about answering an ad in the newspaper or online that was very vague about what the job was, sometimes they just list skills needed, or even less....then yeah, it's very possible it isn't all it claims to be. Or, where he has his resume on one of those job sites and someone contacted him that they have a potential job available. My DH had his resume on several of those and went on two such interviews....

First one it turned out not to be an actual job being offered, but a chance to BUY into his own business. He went ahead and listened just because he was already there, but it was obvious it was a scam or at least an "unlikely to make anyone but the interviewer money" situation. He would have had to have paid a fee to take a class to learn how to build his own business, then they "guaranteed" him that he'd make at least half of the advertised salary in his first year......the more he talked with them the more he found out it wasn't likely to happen. He came home furious and complained to the website and also to our state attorney general about it....the website did nothing, but the AG investigated and found that while the AG personally agreed with my DH, the company wasn't doing anything illegal, so nothing happened.

The other one was even weirder.....it was a job as a stock broker (this was 6 or 7 years ago when that was a profitable field, lol) but an entry level, they promised to train you without cost for a new career. Turned out that you had to work for 6 months of training without pay (they didn't charge you for the training like a school might, but they didn't pay you either, so they got free employees). At the end of that 6 months they would then decide whether to offer you a paid position. May have been a great opportunity for a fresh out of school kid who could live at home while working the estimated 50-55 hours (which we figured was low-ball), but for a man with a family and bills it was impossible. We tried to find this company a couple years later because we had a friend with a son who wanted to get into the field fresh out of high school....but it appeared to have disappeared (or DH thinks changed names as it probably got a bad rep for the questionable tactics).

On the other hand....DH found the job he is currently in, and enjoying, because of his resume on that website. It was a head hunter but the employer paid the fee, not DH, so he was willing to go through the clandestine type hoops of going in and signing the contract before learning any truly valueable details. All they would tell him before then was the starting salary, the general address (district not street level). They did ask him several questions about his experience to be sure he qualified so it felt a little more legit...and turned out to be a job he still enjoys. BUT....had it been a job where he was expected to pay their agency fee, he'd have never done it. That fee is a percentage of your first year salary, and it is HUGE....like 20-30%...i.e. tens of thousands of dollars. We decided we weren't quite desperate enough for a job yet to pay for it!

Does he have any vacation days or sick days available that he could use so he doesn't lose a day off work? If the interview is 25 miles away, and you consider that a long way to drive (where I live 25 miles is a short commute), would he really want a job that was that far away? Or is the interview at one location and the job closer, or you'd move closer? To me, 50 miles is about 2 gallons....or less than $4, so that would NOT cause me to rethink an interview if I was looking for work and this sounded like a good potential. Losing a day of pay might though if your financial situation is tight. Would they be willing to do the interview in the evening or on the weekend? Many employers realize that the people they're interviewing have a job and might actually respect the fact that the employee doesn't want to call in sick (a lie) to interview, but it's also not like he can go to his boss and tell him you need a day off to find another job! Is there any flexibility in his current job...could he leave an hour or two early the day of the interview, and work to make up those hours another day of the week?

Ok, enough rambling, but we've been through the between jobs life so many times in our marriage that I totally know where you are coming from! It's a real toss up in figuring out what is best. Good luck!

If they do not have a specific position available to discuss with you - they should TELL you that up front. No reputable recruiter I have ever worked with (either as a candidate myself, or as a recruiter) would ever make someone come in that far just to get to know you. That is NOT cool in the industry.

Now, it is pretty standard (unless they have an agreement with the client that allows them to release the info) that a recruiter will not disclosure the name of the company. However, no job description? No - that is also NOT cool and very frowned upon in the industry.

I have brought candidates in for a prelim interview where I wasn't 100% sure where I could put them (both as a corporate recruiter and agency recruiter) but I always told them this up front, and let them make the decision if they wanted to spend the time and energy before a concrete job was available for them to consider.

Sorry - just had to pipe up because I hate it when recruiters or HR (corporate or not) give the rest of us a bad rap. Just wanted to let you know this is not kosher in the industry at all.

Does he have any vacation days or sick days available that he could use so he doesn't lose a day off work? If the interview is 25 miles away, and you consider that a long way to drive (where I live 25 miles is a short commute), would he really want a job that was that far away? Or is the interview at one location and the job closer, or you'd move closer? To me, 50 miles is about 2 gallons....or less than $4, so that would NOT cause me to rethink an interview if I was looking for work and this sounded like a good potential. Losing a day of pay might though if your financial situation is tight. Would they be willing to do the interview in the evening or on the weekend? Many employers realize that the people they're interviewing have a job and might actually respect the fact that the employee doesn't want to call in sick (a lie) to interview, but it's also not like he can go to his boss and tell him you need a day off to find another job! Is there any flexibility in his current job...could he leave an hour or two early the day of the interview, and work to make up those hours another day of the week?

Ok, enough rambling, but we've been through the between jobs life so many times in our marriage that I totally know where you are coming from! It's a real toss up in figuring out what is best. Good luck!

No, he can take off--he's working as many hrs up to 40 as he wants for a temp research thing on campus. But it ends on Th of next week, so on the one hand, he needs another job fast; otoh, he needs all the hrs he can get.

The commute's not an issue. Wasting even $4 on gas at this point IS an issue. If it seemed REMOTELY poss that it was a real job, I'd say go. But it's not a headhunter. It's an ad from Hotjobs or something. It was vague, & in searching online, I've found that this co has a *bunch* of job openings in a *bunch* of different fields, iykwim. The lady on the phone said she had a job for dh & wanted to know--based on his res alone--how fast he could start.

I don't know. There was phrasing to start w/ that was too fishy. And not saying what the job is really pushes my buttons. I feel like going to the interview & telling them I'm representing a client, but at this time I'm not at liberty to divulge his name, experience, or credentials. :lol:

I feel like going to the interview & telling them I'm representing a client, but at this time I'm not at liberty to divulge his name, experience, or credentials. :lol:

:lol: That sounds so much like something I would like to do in your position. I have no idea if it is a real job, but hopefully it will work out for your dh so he has somewhere to go after next week.

The lady on the phone said she had a job for dh & wanted to know--based on his res alone--how fast he could start.

I don't know. There was phrasing to start w/ that was too fishy. And not saying what the job is really pushes my buttons.

Yeah, it sounds to me more like one of those investing schemes, or door-to-door sales, or something like that. Not an hourly paid or salaried job, but one that's dependent on how much he sells, or how many people he can recruit under him.

Maybe it's selling meat from the back of a truck. :001_huh:

YES!!!! A job where we could just travel around & see all of you!! I'll take it! :D

ETA: Y'all would buy meat from dh & me, right? Right? Buehler?

Oh definitely, but could you make the meat free range organic and fresh? I mean when I purchase meat from the truck, I expect it to be grade A quality and none of that monkey/mystery meat.

YES!!!! A job where we could just travel around & see all of you!! I'll take it! :D

ETA: Y'all would buy meat from dh & me, right? Right? Buehler?

Oh definitely, but could you make the meat free range organic and fresh? I mean when I purchase meat from the truck, I expect it to be grade A quality and none of that monkey/mystery meat.

Absolutely. You tell me what you want, & that's what I'll call it. :auto:

No, he can take off--he's working as many hrs up to 40 as he wants for a temp research thing on campus. But it ends on Th of next week, so on the one hand, he needs another job fast; otoh, he needs all the hrs he can get.

The commute's not an issue. Wasting even $4 on gas at this point IS an issue. If it seemed REMOTELY poss that it was a real job, I'd say go. But it's not a headhunter. It's an ad from Hotjobs or something. It was vague, & in searching online, I've found that this co has a *bunch* of job openings in a *bunch* of different fields, iykwim. The lady on the phone said she had a job for dh & wanted to know--based on his res alone--how fast he could start.

I don't know. There was phrasing to start w/ that was too fishy. And not saying what the job is really pushes my buttons. I feel like going to the interview & telling them I'm representing a client, but at this time I'm not at liberty to divulge his name, experience, or credentials. :lol:

This sounds like the same kind of thing that suckered my dh into selling vacuum cleaners shortly before we were married. :tongue_smilie:

The other one was even weirder.....it was a job as a stock broker (this was 6 or 7 years ago when that was a profitable field, lol) but an entry level, they promised to train you without cost for a new career. Turned out that you had to work for 6 months of training without pay (they didn't charge you for the training like a school might, but they didn't pay you either, so they got free employees). At the end of that 6 months they would then decide whether to offer you a paid position.

This is exactly the plot of that Will Smith biopic "The Pursuit of Happyness." The salesman with the young son who ends up homeless and trains as an intern at the stock brokerage.