Menu

Most charming movie about Beatrix Potter!

It's called, Miss Potter, and Beatrix is played by Renee Zellwiger (or however you spell her name) :o It was a movie the kids and I really enjoyed and found enchanting.

In the beginning of the movie it shows Miss Potter trying to get Peter Rabbit published while flashing back to her childhood when she would draw and paint pictures of all her pets. Once she gets Peter Rabbit published, she is asked to write more books and we see how the stories came to be.

Beatrix would talk to her drawings as if the characters were friends and they might wink back at her, shake off a ribbon she'd drawn on it, or shake it's tail feathers. Really cute. :)

There's a bit of romance, the struggles of an "old maid", living under the thumb of her mother,wanting and gaining freedom, the success of a woman who had no support for her writing endeavors, and seeing her live her own life when she did get out on her own.

It was just a charming movie. We went to the library to check out some of her books. How fun to see how they came to be in the movie, then read them in real life.

Just had to share!

It also sparked a greater interest so we got some great books to peruse. There were two of her artwork that fascinated us and we read a few biographies together. Her artwork in her nature journals is spectacular and seeing the progression to her book characters was illuminating.

The movie is a treasure.

Thanks for the reminder and great details. Beatrix Potter books were my favorites as a child and so I've loved sharing them with my own children, especially dd.

Here in Oregon we have bulbs popping up early and it smells and feels like spring. Pefect timing for this movie and pulling out the BP collection once again!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I can't stand Renee Zellwegger with her pouty lips and her fake British accent. That's why I haven't watched this movie and not sure that I could. I'm glad you enjoyed it though.

It took me a little while to get past the funny little mouth thing that the actress did to show emotions, and the florid (if that's the right word) face. Once I let myself believe in the character and story, the mannerisms were less noticeable and I let them fit the character.

I hope that makes sense. I thought it a delightful movie overall.

I can't stand Renee Zellwegger with her pouty lips and her fake British accent. That's why I haven't watched this movie and not sure that I could. I'm glad you enjoyed it though.

I watched this and just could not bear her in that part!!! Ugh!! Why didn't they cast a British actress? There are so many talented ones, and Zellwegger is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

I agree about wondering why they didn't cast a British actress. It sparked a renewed love for nature drawing/study in my 11yo daughter, but my boys would only watch the part with Ewen McGregor in it because, well...they wanted to see how Obi Wan (from Star Wars) "cleaned up." heh heh

• 2 weeks later...