Menu

Essentials for 8th grade?

I'd recommend you solidify skills. What I mean is this: Much of what students must learn is content-driven, but some is more skills-based. Even in content driven areas, possessing certain skills makes mastering the content easier.

Let me try to put this in more practical terms, though it will be generic since I know nothing about your student. Overall, since 8th grade courses won't go on a transcript, I'd worry less about making sure we cover this, that, and the other curricula; instead, make sure the student is ready for high school level courses. In English-and this may be the most important area-make sure the student can write and write well. That should be a priority. Second, work with your student on strengthening his grasp of tools for literary analysis. (Many high school courses teach this, but knowing it ahead of time will give your student a head start.)

In Math, make absolutely certain the basic concepts are rock-solid, and if ready, it's a good time to begin Algebra. If not ready, do whatever it takes to get ready.

Other skills I'd consider important to have at least a good start on before entering high school are logic, as well as a grasp of how to do good science. In addition to the scientific method, this would include how to carefully, systematically perform an experiment and write an excellent lab report.

I'm sure others would have a lot of excellent input, but these are my thoughts on the subject.

I looked at 8th grade as the last prep for high school. I want to stress grammar and writing a good 5 paragraph essay and research paper. For science I thought it was important to get a strong physical science program. We are especially stressing chemistry. I have 2 young bothers who have struggled with chemistry so badly in college that they weren't able to major in their choice, since they couldn't make the grade. I believe their struggle was due to poor high school teaching. I think if you teach the basics now and then delve more in depth in high school would be best. A good life science background in middle school would be best to prepare for Biology.

This is what I wished we would've done, not necessarily what we've accomplished so far.

Blessings, Michelle

I would second what others have said about writing and math.

My two (limited) (skill-based) requirements for entering high school are --

1) Be rock-solid on math and have finished algebra 1

2) Be able to write a SOLID SOLID paragraph -- almost any type of paragraph -- with originality and pizzazz. Be able to connect a few paragraphs for a mini-essay or report. Be starting to work on the 5-paragraph essay.

Obviously, there are many other things that it would be nice to have covered, and many intellectual traits that it would be nice to have developed before high school, but WRITING and MATH are absolutely central to high school.

For example, take a 10th grader who wants to take AP US Govt. If he knows NOTHING about US history or US government, this is a drawback, but not an insurmountable one -- he will just have to work harder to learn the material. If he can't write, he will have problems with ALL of the essays and with the AP exam itself. Essentially he will have to learn two subjects in the course -- writing and US govt. Talk about a handicap!

And I guess I should add strong reading skills -- being comfortable not just reading junior-high-level fiction but also news magazines, history books, science books, works written centuries ago that are more challenging to read.....

Ditto to what has already been so well said. I would add an emphasis on English grammar, Logic and Vocabulary in preparation for the high school course work. Grammar is fundamental to writing skills, and the heavy emphasis on writing in high school will quickly show up any fault lines in your child's understanding of grammar. Logic is fundamental to everything in high school (not to mention in life!). An excellent vocabulary will greatly facilitate your student's writing and comprehension as well as his/her enjoyment of literature.