Menu

Oak Meadow?

We have used it for 5th and 6th and loved it. We plan on using it for 7th and 8th too. I just ordered 7th and it will be here on Friday. Yea!!

I'll probably use them for High School too. Except for science we'll use Apologia.

During the month of May Oak Meadow has a 10% off sale.

Can you tell me about the teacher's manuals? How are they? Do they have answers to the English/lit/history questions...

Ive never seen Oak Meadow but heard great things about it.

Can you describe the TE's to me?

I also heard you must purchase the highschool TE's seperately, and they ar not offered on the website.

I'd like to know as much about OM as possible!!!

Can you tell me about the teacher's manuals? How are they? Do they have answers to the English/lit/history questions...

Ive never seen Oak Meadow but heard great things about it.

Can you describe the TE's to me?

I also heard you must purchase the highschool TE's seperately, and they ar not offered on the website.

I'd like to know as much about OM as possible!!!

Yes, you can call them to order the high school TEs. We're not at high school level yet, so I can't address those courses. However, I've found the folks at the OM office to be very helpful and very patient with questions every time I have called.

Anyway... for grade 4-8, the TMs do have suggested answers to questions in the curriculum. Oak Meadow does not do multiple choice stuff, so when I say "suggested answers" I mean that they give a few examples of appropriate response to essay-type questions. They also have additional material, resource lists and project ideas.

Oak Meadow curriculum is very much an "experiential" curriculum. IOW, some basic material is presented on the topics, but you are pointed to other material and encouraged to do more exploration/research on your own. Questions relate to the basic info given, but ask the child to think beyond it, to imagine possibilities, to postulate and expand upon their own theories and ideas.

If you've seen the samples from the website, then you have seen a very good representation of the way in which they present lessons. Their method does ask you to go beyond what is just in the pages of the syllabus, but I think that's one of the plusses to it. Because of that, you can expand any topic.

OM is completely secular. Whenever there is any presentation of religion, it is done in a neutral tone and in its historical context. The curriculum does give ideas for other resources to explore, but makes no comment on them.

I cannot comment on their math program, as I've never used it, but the samples do give a detailed summary of topics presented in each grade level from grade 4-8, so you can try to gauge where to place your child from that (if you choose to use OM Math).

Language Arts is included and integrated into the Social Studies (and sometimes Science) curricula. Grammar and spelling are taught as part of writing and reading comprehension using the SS and literature selections.

Up front, they will tell you that you are always free to substitute (or add) literature selections. There is a long list in every grade's TM and syllabus (from grade 4-8) of suggested literature. Some of the selections tie into the SS and some are just literature on an approximate grade reading level. I find their booklists to be very good, with a wide array of appealing topics and genres.

HTH! :001_smile:

all this being said...

do you think your child retains what he learns?

I am a new homeschooler and my only experience with curriculums is Bob Jones and Abeka.

I just want to be sure they will learn what they need to learn...(dumb statement I know, but im still very insecure with all this)

Looking at the online samples it looks perfect especially for my younger child who is very hands on, nature driven....loves nature, gardening, exploring, art work type stuff

all this being said...

do you think your child retains what he learns?

I am a new homeschooler and my only experience with curriculums is Bob Jones and Abeka.

I just want to be sure they will learn what they need to learn...(dumb statement I know, but im still very insecure with all this)

Looking at the online samples it looks perfect especially for my younger child who is very hands on, nature driven....loves nature, gardening, exploring, art work type stuff

LOL! Well, if you've only experience with BJU and Abeka, then OM will be a completely different animal for you!

The experiential (hands-on) nature of OM has been great for my ds, who, like your younger child, appreciates that type of learning. Yes, my ds does retain what he learns, but more importantly, he is inspired to learn more about things ON HIS OWN. I'm not at all interested in a curriculum that asks a child to parrot lists of information. I'm far more interested in curricula, like OM, that encourage a person to think for themselves and inspire a desire to learn more.

Curricula like OM can seem intimidating to new homeschoolers sometimes because it isn't very public-school-like. It isn't cut-and-dried, no workbooks, no lists and checklists. If you are a think-outside-the-box kind of homeschooler, you'll be pretty happy with the flexibility of Oak Meadow. If you haven't already checked it out, there is a good yahoo group for OM users http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OM_HS/