Menu

How have you helped your "social" teenager while homeschooling?

My dd is very social. She'll be in 9th next year and we've been homeschooling the whole way through. She likes friends, likes talking to friends on the phone, easily makes friends & likes going and doing. We have her in fall and spring soccer, which just ended a couple of weeks ago. She also takes piano and is involved in 4h. Our church has no youth group at present, though I'll probably be starting one soon.

As she is getting older and especially when the activities slow down like they have now, I recognize that she is in that age group where she misses the activity when it's gone and gets maybe lonely and bored, though she and I enjoy each other's company and she has great fun with her younger brothers. We are dedicated to homeschooling, and I think she enjoys the homeschooling part of everything, just misses the social aspect.

I recognize that she is really doing what she can with herself each day. She gets up early, does her chores joyfully, does her wii fit, starts school on time and works pretty hard at it. After school, about 2:00, she goes running then does afternoon chores, then practices piano for 30-45 minutes. She is done with all of that about 4:00. I say all that to tell that she's not just sitting, complaining and staring at the wall. How can I help her? What do you do for a kid that age, going through what most of us went through: the desire to be busy and social? I think this could be an opportunity for me to really connect with her even more, I'm just kind of at a loss for how.

My 15yo son is VERY social. What we have done is to allow him to have friends over whenever he wants, as long as he gets his schoolwork and chores done first. That means that 3-4 afternoons a week there are teenage boys over here through dinnertime. He also spends all weekend either at his friends houses (people I know and trust) or they are over here.

It makes it harder for me to always have people over here or running him somewhere, but I know it is important to him. He is a child who NEEDS this.

My 15yo son is VERY social. What we have done is to allow him to have friends over whenever he wants, as long as he gets his schoolwork and chores done first. That means that 3-4 afternoons a week there are teenage boys over here through dinnertime. He also spends all weekend either at his friends houses (people I know and trust) or they are over here.

It makes it harder for me to always have people over here or running him somewhere, but I know it is important to him. He is a child who NEEDS this.

I agree with Tammy. Find a way to make sure she's able to get together with her friends on a regular basis. It's very important at this age.

Ria (who always has at least a few extra teens around somewhere, lol)

I agree with Tammy. Find a way to make sure she's able to get together with her friends on a regular basis. It's very important at this age.

Ria (who always has at least a few extra teens around somewhere, lol)

Okay. One of the bummers to this is we live in the country...her best bud is 3 doors down, though. She is over here often. I know homeschooling is working well for us...she's 50 times more responsible, peaceful, and joyful at this age than I was. She's a leader in a great way. I can't say enough good stuff about this kid...she's so not like me when I was 13!! :lol:I just have to help her with the social aspect. :)