Menu

Schedule for next year

choirfarm

Ok.. I think I finally have the teaching schedule down, but it is going to take me all day. When do you do your other things: planning, grading, balancing checkbook, entering into money, yardwork, etc. I will have a 2nd grader, 7th grader and 9th grader:

8-8:30- I will be watching Chalkdust Geometry with my 9th grader, 7th grader will be watching and doing Chalkdust Pre-Algebra on his own and 2nd grader will be eating breakfast and doing her morning routine.

8: 30-9 Boys continue with math and I will do Saxon phonics and violin with the 2nd grader

9-9:30 I will work on science with one of the boys. Oldest is doing Chemistry so it may be going over module summary answers or making sure he has what he needs for experiment, etc. My 7th grader will be doing a real textbook with General Science for the first time so I will need to spell out my standards, help him read it, memorize vocab, etc. My 2nd grader has a break.

9:30-10 Boys continue to work on science. I will work on phonics, singapore math and FLL and WWE

10-10:15 Boys take a quick break while I continue working with my daugher.

10:15-12 Boys will work on English and History, though middle one wants to do Spanish in that block. However, Monday will be planning, and Friday I will need to have history and literature discussion with both of them. We will be doing TOG on the rhetoric and dialectic level. They are also both doing IEW intensive C. So I will need to watch the DVD with them so I will understand what they are supposed to do. My daughter will do her vision therapy on the computer as well as handwriting/copywork during this time period. Perhaps finishing math or doing some kind of math drill that doesn't need my help.

12- 12:30 lunch

12:30-1:30 My oldest will practice his piano while middle one does history or Spanish. I will do history or science with my 2nd grader. It will be TOG for history but I'm not sure for science. I guess one of the Apologia Elementary books I have on the shelf.

1:30-2:30 Oldest does Spanish I while middle one practices piano. I continue to do science or history with oldes... Oh, literature with TOG as well.

2:30-3 Introductory Logic for oldest, Typing Tutor for middle .. I may collapse

At 3 we will do our house cleaning.

Right now I have my daughter's vision therapy on Monday afternoon and her violin lessons on Thursday. I am going to try to get them on the same afternoon. During that afternoon, my oldest will go to church to work/community service from 1-4:30. It is fine that he won't have time to do Spanish or Logic as those could be 4 days a week. He needs to get out working with people.

On Wednesday afternoons the boys have piano lessons for one hour each, so from 2-4. During this time I take my disabled father to Walmart, to get his haircut, do things for him around the house, etc.

The boys will have youth on Wednesday night while my daughter does AWANA and I do adult choir.

That has us not doing co-op. My middle one is VERY social and didn't think we did enough last year. So now his only outside activity will be youth on Wednesday night... I'm not sure what to do about that. School looks like it will take all of our time and my dad has bladder cancer and his lungs are AWFUL and he has a shadow on them. We've had to turn up his oxygen, so doctor appointments for him and the rest of my children, dentist, eye doctor, etc have to fit in somewhere as well...

How does this look and how do you do social stuff and school??

Christine

You've got your plate full. The biggest suggestion I can give you is to have the older boys start school earlier to free up some time. I do think you need to consider the needs of your social child. Did you have any physical activities for them? I know boys love that.

Scouts for your social boy? This has been a huge benefit around here in terms of getting in boy/social time. My dh is "in charge" of this b/c they meet in the evenings, so it is something *I* don't have to do.

I am sorry about your dad. That would be tough.

Yes, but where does physical activity fit with all of these academics. Part of the problem is that neither of my boys is particularly gifted in this area. By the time you reach their age, you need to be good to play. They play one on one basketball with each other a lot and with their sister. My oldest is supposed to log 180 hours for pe, but I don't know where this will fit.. I think my daughter will play basketball in the winter. We will be taking a 2 week trip to Alaska in September and will start walking to get ready for that... early morning??? The boys get up at 6:30, so they will have time, but in November, the weather starts getting too cold at that time. Next year will be hard as they normally have several breaks throughout the day, but I don't see how that will work...

Christine

Scouts for your social boy? This has been a huge benefit around here in terms of getting in boy/social time. My dh is "in charge" of this b/c they meet in the evenings, so it is something *I* don't have to do.

I am sorry about your dad. That would be tough.

My dh is a surgeon and works long hours weekends, so it would have to be something I could do, right?? I'm not sure how scouts works or if he could start that as a 7th grader.

Christine

Yes, but where does physical activity fit with all of these academics. Part of the problem is that neither of my boys is particularly gifted in this area. By the time you reach their age, you need to be good to play. They play one on one basketball with each other a lot and with their sister. My oldest is supposed to log 180 hours for pe, but I don't know where this will fit.. I think my daughter will play basketball in the winter. We will be taking a 2 week trip to Alaska in September and will start walking to get ready for that... early morning??? The boys get up at 6:30, so they will have time, but in November, the weather starts getting too cold at that time. Next year will be hard as they normally have several breaks throughout the day, but I don't see how that will work...

Christine

Hmm. Sounds like at least walking to get ready for your Alaska trip is one step towards PE (and Alaska?? Sounds great!). What about swimming lessons or karate? I think those take place in the evening usually.

If your boys are early up, then I'd consider having them start school-work earlier in order to finish earlier. We tend to burn out around lunch-time so to me the earlier, the better!!

My dh is a surgeon and works long hours weekends, so it would have to be something I could do, right?? I'm not sure how scouts works or if he could start that as a 7th grader.

Christine

I inquired about scouts last summer for my 13 yo. They were very friendly and told me meetings are one weekday evening. Eventually then I decided against it due to soccer (and the fact that the meetings were in a church), but they had no problem accepting him as a brand neew scout.