Menu

Narrowing down my history

Since no one has responded, I'll reply. I considered using both of those. I decided against Sonlight 1 because of the lack of activities. We are still going to read the read alouds though. I also considered SOTW with the activity guide, but I didn't want to just have 1 spine. I wanted to have several to balance out any bias or inaccuracies there might be. So I ended up going with History Odyssey since it schedules out SOTW, CHOW and Usborne Internet-linked encyclopedia plus it has nice book lists and activities. I'm going ahead using the SOTW activity guide too. That way we have more activity choices and some discussion questions.

You know, I didn't realize there were no activities in the SL curriculum until you said something. Financially speaking, I was looking at the SL because a friend loaned me her SL curriculum from last year to look through and I saw that she had the history I was looking at online. While choosing "free" isn't always the best option, I didn't want to dismiss it completely.

Thanks for the input! Anyone else have thoughts?

Shannon, If you do an advanced search of the K-8 Curriculum Board, type SOTW Sonlight in the keyword search box, and select "search titles only", you will find several threads to dig through. Perhaps you will find some answers there. Good luck!

ETA: You can always add activities in from the SOTW AG, which is what I plan to do, but I'm not big on activities. :)

I don't have my SL catalog in front of me, and I am too lazy to go get it, but if you are talking about SL's Core 1 vs SOTW I, I used them both together. I used all the SL books, but I dropped CHOW and replaced it with SOTW and the SOTW AG. My son absolutely loved that year of history. In fact, ever since we used SL's Core 1 and Core 2 with SOTW 1 and 2, ancient history remains his favorite period.

Here is a chart you can use to line SOTW up with SL's Child's History of the World (CHOW). http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/chowsotw.htm I believe I had this on-hand, but I don't recall if I actually used it. I do remember that we just read SOTW as is, from beginning to end. While I read, my son colored the coloring page in the AG, then afterwards I would ask questions from the AG, do any narration from the AG and he would do the AG mapping. We would do a craft from the AG every once in a while as he's not really into crafts. He loved it. It was good stuff.

What SL added to the mix was great read-alouds already scheduled, and additional picture-type history books. Plus, we used SL's readers as well. His reading really took off when we began using SL.

If you can use SL with SOTW, I would definitely do so...especially if it's free! ;) But, SOTW w/AG is definitely a fine history choice all on it's own.

Now, if you are speaking of SL's Core 6 and SOTW, then please disregard this post completely! :lol: I would then go with SL since it already schedules in SOTW, plus a lot of other great books (yep, we've used that one too).

I've done both (separate years) and found SOTW1 a far superior experience. With SOTW1 and the Activity Guide, I could choose which resources to use, so that I could fit my children's needs and interests. Also, SOTW1 gave a much more thorough overview of history so that my children had firm knowledge to build upon. The year we did SOTW1 was probably our best year of homeschooling ever (out of ten, so far), because the children enjoyed the book, the mapping and activity sheets, and the projects so much! :)