Menu

I need your opinions on Logic stage Science, please.

melmac

For my 5th grader, I'm undecided on whether to do it as described in TWTM or to use Holt Science and Technology: Life Science. I have the main spines recommended in TWTM and I have the Holt science text. But, I can't decide.

The Holt text is very thorough, but most chapters have two to three sections and there's 28 chapters. I don't want to overwhelm my son. I haven't quite figured out how to "do it", so to speak either. I thought of using it the WTM way, but again that's much more reading for my son than the four pages in How Nature Works, recommended by SWB.

Doing Science the WTM way, would be less reading for my son, but less thorough, as well. I've thought about maybe just reading the Holt text with my son and just asking the questions at the end for each section and then assigning things to him as described in TWTM. Sort of a best of both worlds thing. But, I can't decide.

Please help me make up my mind what to do. :) I would appreciate any opinions or thoughts. TIA :)

Thanks, but I'm using the 1st edition of TWTM.

The new WTM recommendations for science are fairly significantly changed and, IMO, for the better. Lots of experiments, less reading. You may want to at least read through that chapter before you decide - HTH!

For my 5th grader, I'm undecided on whether to do it as described in TWTM or to use Holt Science and Technology: Life Science. I have the main spines recommended in TWTM and I have the Holt science text. But, I can't decide.

The Holt text is very thorough, but most chapters have two to three sections and there's 28 chapters. I don't want to overwhelm my son. I haven't quite figured out how to "do it", so to speak either. I thought of using it the WTM way, but again that's much more reading for my son than the four pages in How Nature Works, recommended by SWB.

Doing Science the WTM way, would be less reading for my son, but less thorough, as well. I've thought about maybe just reading the Holt text with my son and just asking the questions at the end for each section and then assigning things to him as described in TWTM. Sort of a best of both worlds thing. But, I can't decide.

Please help me make up my mind what to do. :) I would appreciate any opinions or thoughts. TIA :)

How about:

- use the How Nature Works as your spine

- do experiments either from HNW or the ones mentioned in the new WTM

- let the Holt book be extra reading for interest's sake, along with science encyclopedias and library books - just let him browse these after he has read HNW and done an experiment

I just completed writing the first volume of a middle-level (logic stage) science curriculum, Earth Logic: Our Dynamic Earth. It is 93 pages and includes language arts connections, scientific inquiry, web links, demonstrations, and extension activity suggestions. I have a sample available as a free download, here is a link to the sample.

If it is well-received, my hope is to write a series for Life Sciences as well. Life Logic: Ecology, will be released first, mid-summer. I'm releasing them in this way because I am currently teaching a science course for middle-level girls and these are the units they requested (Geology, Ecology and Chemistry).

:D

Makita! I loved your sample! :tongue_smilie: Is it available for purchase?

Yes. It is available on my blog. Please let me know what you think of the complete unit. I'd be more than happy to hear your thoughts so that I can continue to improve it as I move on to develop future units.

:D

Eva

That might work, too. Thanks ! Decisions, decisions...:)

How about:

- use the How Nature Works as your spine

- do experiments either from HNW or the ones mentioned in the new WTM

- let the Holt book be extra reading for interest's sake, along with science encyclopedias and library books - just let him browse these after he has read HNW and done an experiment

Oh, okay. Thanks. I have no clue what I'm using, I can only tell when the responder quotes the respondee (is that a word? lol).

I was responding to Colleen's post. (If you use the hybrid or threaded modes to view the board, I believe it will show you who is responding to whom.)

Oh, okay. Thanks. I have no clue what I'm using, I can only tell when the responder quotes the respondee (is that a word? lol).

See where the number of thread pages are? Under that it says Display Modes. You can click on that and change how you view the threads.

Happy planning! I've enjoyed using the HNW book this past year. It's a starting point for us, then we experiment and read other stuff to get material for outlines or narrations.

• 3 weeks later...

We started Logic stage science a few weeks ago.

Here is what we do:

We read 'How Your Body Works.' My son notes all people mentioned in the dates section and looks them up in the Encyclopedia Britannica (we have the CD-Rom version), reads about them and writes one sentence about what where they are known for.

We read the experiment pages, do an experiment, write about it ala WTM.

He draws sketches and labes the parts.

This has worked out very well for us. Imo, the Science recommendations of the previous WTM are better than the new ones, although we will use some of the kits listed as well.

All this writing and researching is actually really good for my son.

Susie