Menu

Logic stage; Can you still use SOTW?

home4fun

My first son is entering the logic stage in the fall. I just read the New WTM book and feel overwhelmed on how to apply all of the steps she laid out for history next year. I will have 2 others K and 2nd in the grammar stage and wanted to still use SOTW with all 3 of them. Has anyone else done this? How and what advise can you give? Is it cheating my logic stage child to still have him included in the SOTW?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Angie

(home4fun)

http://web.mac.com/macmalang/Home4Fun/Home4Fun/Home4Fun.html

We used it twice the second time with Kingfisher History Encyclopedia and a lot of historical fiction at the young adult level. It is a great resource and can be viewed not only as a spine resource but for logic stage used with another text to see where the accounts differ or the emphasis changes. Gombrich's A Little History of the World is terrific for this. So much of becoming educated has to do with discernment and judgment of competing claims regarding a topic or piece of information. Weighing those competing claims and choosing one as a better or more valid source is logic stage activity at its best.

Yep. We read SOTW, discuss and do mapwork together. Then DS places timeline figures, reads more in Kingfisher, reads library books and fills out a form for significant people &/or primary sources (I made these based on the WTM suggestions for what to include in a summary of people we encounter in history.) I'd like to say that he also outlines the chapter and writes summaries for all these things too, but that hasn't happened as regularly as I would like. We use CW: Homer for writing and just haven't managed to do as much writing across the curriculum as we should. I hope to remedy that next year with IEW's U. S. History Vol. 1 but we'll also use CW Poetry and then pick up again with CW Diogenes the following year. Hopefully by that time I'll be able to rely on DS for independent work a little more. He's a good kid, but he's a kid. ;)

I'm glad to hear people are saying yes to your question. I was thinking about using SOTW next year as well. We just started hs'ing this year and these books look so great that I don't want him to miss out on them, even if they are geared to the younger ones.

Absolutely. We just used ancients for the 2nd go round in 3rd and 5th, and will move on to SOTW middle ages in the fall, 4th and 6th.

There is soooo much supplemental reading available that I can't imagine not being able to pull something together, and SOTW is such a great spine to hook things onto.

We're using SOTW Vol 1 this year, focusing on map work, discussion, and the timeline. We also use Guerber's Story of the Greeks as well as Famous Men of Greece (with the Study Guide) and a lot of historical fiction.

Not to highjack the thread, but how is this working out for you? :001_smile:

We're using SOTW Vol 1 this year, focusing on map work, discussion, and the timeline. We also use Guerber's Story of the Greeks as well as Famous Men of Greece (with the Study Guide) and a lot of historical fiction.

This was what I was thinking of adding as well, but not sure how to schedule it. How did you? Thanks for any help you can give.

Angie

(home4fun)

This was what I was thinking of adding as well, but not sure how to schedule it. How did you? Thanks for any help you can give.

Angie

(home4fun)

Interested to hear how you guys are integrating these.

I asked this question awhile back on the board and a wonderful woman named Beth sent me her schedule she had made for her 5th grader using SOTW. I took her schedule and tweeked it to fit us, but for the most part, I followed her outline. She sent me an email with a word document. If you'd like, I can forward it on to you. Just send me an email to : karieann67@hotmail.com

Like I said, I didn't do this, Beth on this board did it and I want to give her ALL the credit.

Karie

This schedule was very helpful to think about how a schedule might work adding Famous men and what to put on the timeline and more.

Thanks for sharing this.

I guess I may have more work to do over the summer than I though!

Blessings.

Angie

(home4fun)

Sonlight uses SOTW for their level 6 and 7 programs. MFW uses SOTW as well. We will be using SOTW 4 in the fall for my 5th and 8th grader. I looked through the tests and activity guide, and I think it will work well for both of them, especially with the Kingfisher and other historical fiction and non-fiction thrown in. My 13ds loves SOTW. When he saw vol. 4, he said "Oh good, you got me something to read!"

I'm sorry that I don't have a written schedule to share (I'm going to e-mail Beth for hers!) but I can share the few things that we do to tweak SOTW to make it work for us.

For the SOTW chapters, my daughter reads a chapter, tells the story back to me, and then we do a corresponding map activity. Instead of the SOTW activity guide map work, I use Building Skills by Exploring Maps - Ancient Civilizations (Creative Teaching Press.) There's work with cardinal and ordinal directions, latitude and longitude, distances using scales, and using the map key. And if there's an event or person that we need to add to her timeline, we do that.

I don't try to sync up SOTW with The Story of the Greeks. Because this is my daughter's first Ancients cycle, I chose to hover on certain civilizations (Egypt in the fall, Greece this spring) while moving along with SOTW (she doesn't have a problem with the time periods being off.)

For The Story of the Greeks, I read aloud a section or two (or three, depending.) Then she reads the corresponding section(s) in FMG. Then we discuss the questions in the FMG Guide. (We do this 3-4 times per week.)

Since my daughter is not a fan of the history notebook, we do this:

At the beginning of a study on a particular civilization (in this case Greece) I make a transparency of a map of Ancient Greece, project it onto a posterboard, my daughter traces it and colors it. There's also a timeline at the top of the map. So when she wants to add, say Aristotle, she goes to our World Book CD (or the internet), finds a small picture of him, prints it out, and adds it to her timeline. She also adds things like a picture of the Parthenon, highlights of the Persia Wars, etc., and adds notes that will jog her memory (example: Draco-Draconian punishment.) It's a nice visual, and something that she enjoys doing.

And we add A LOT of historical fiction.

Again, sorry I couldn't help with a schedule.

I'm sorry that I don't have a written schedule to share (I'm going to e-mail Beth for hers!) but I can share the few things that we do to tweak SOTW to make it work for us.

For the SOTW chapters, my daughter reads a chapter, tells the story back to me, and then we do a corresponding map activity. Instead of the SOTW activity guide map work, I use Building Skills by Exploring Maps - Ancient Civilizations (Creative Teaching Press.) There's work with cardinal and ordinal directions, latitude and longitude, distances using scales, and using the map key. And if there's an event or person that we need to add to her timeline, we do that.

I don't try to sync up SOTW with The Story of the Greeks. Because this is my daughter's first Ancients cycle, I chose to hover on certain civilizations (Egypt in the fall, Greece this spring) while moving along with SOTW (she doesn't have a problem with the time periods being off.)

For The Story of the Greeks, I read aloud a section or two (or three, depending.) Then she reads the corresponding section(s) in FMG. Then we discuss the questions in the FMG Guide. (We do this 3-4 times per week.)

Since my daughter is not a fan of the history notebook, we do this:

At the beginning of a study on a particular civilization (in this case Greece) I make a transparency of a map of Ancient Greece, project it onto a posterboard, my daughter traces it and colors it. There's also a timeline at the top of the map. So when she wants to add, say Aristotle, she goes to our World Book CD (or the internet), finds a small picture of him, prints it out, and adds it to her timeline. She also adds things like a picture of the Parthenon, highlights of the Persia Wars, etc., and adds notes that will jog her memory (example: Draco-Draconian punishment.) It's a nice visual, and something that she enjoys doing.

And we add A LOT of historical fiction.

Again, sorry I couldn't help with a schedule.

No problem with the schedule it was great to read how you have "fit" everything in. Sounds like you are doing great and you daughter is having fun as well.

Thanks again.

Blessings

Angie

(home4fun)