Menu

CHOW: to workbook or not to workbook

Tiramisu

That is the question.

I think some probably like the Calvert workbook, some don't, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

It might make life easier, but it might be cheaper and more effective in the end to have dd9 write a WWE style summary.

What do you think? :)

We used it. Overall, I liked it. But there were days when *I* couldn't figure out what they wanted filled in the blanks, much less ds!

I think you're right that it would be cheaper and more effective to write summaries for each and every chapter. On the other hand, if you would *mean* to do that and then not get around to it, the workbook might be a better choice.

Thanks, Abbeyej!

That's a good point about getting those summaries done.

I think one reason I was interested in the workbook was the outlining. Is the outlining exercises useful for learning to outline or would an outlining workbook do just as well?

Well, I liked the *idea* of learning to outline from the CHOW workbook. But, as I said, I felt some of the outlines weren't really representative of the CHOW text. That makes it tough to learn outlining from it...

I think it might work better to just coach the child through outlining some of the chapters him/herself.

I'm really not trying to talk you out of the workbook -- I liked it well enough -- but I wished it had been better... And I don't think ds learned to outline from it. (But if I had emphasized that more, maybe he would have...)

Edited by abbeyej
idiotic typo (which isn't to say there aren't still more)

LOL - for us, the workbook was USELESS. *I* filled it in the entire year - mostly because ds9 could never figure out the answers from the way the questions were worded and often times, he could not even spell the words. I wish wish wish I had had him write a summary instead of using the workbook.

And no, he didn't learn anything at all about outlining from the CHOW workbook....other than that outlines can be frustrating and confusing when you weren't the one writing them! LOL

The activities in the back and the timeline were pretty neat, though. But honestly, you could make up your own crossword puzzles, recipes, and basic games and probably come out a lot better.

My 4th grader used CHOW with the Calvert workbook this year. I agree with Abbey that at times the outlining was a bit frustrating. We've been alternating; sometimes he uses the workbook, other time he writes a short narration, other times I write it for him (if we're pressed for time). I really like the teacher's guide that comes with it, though. It has comprehension questions, extra projects and worksheets. None of these are necessary, but they've been nice to have on hand to compliment the book.

I bought my set cheap from E-bay, so, for us, it's been nice having all the pieces.