Menu

If you were going to study....

mommy25

We used a text called from Sea to Shining Sea: The Story of America, produced by Catholic Textbook Project. It formed the spine, and we added lots of living books and videos for my 5th grader. It is not overly religious in nature, though it does have a chapter on important Catholics in American History, which may not appeal to you. Lots of good pictures and maps, pretty interesting text.

Lisa

alll 10 books of The History of Us by Joy Hakim this year. It required her to read about 2 chapters per day. However, I didn't have her write anything or take tests, etc. (she was doing ancient history as her main emphasis, but I wanted her to be exposed to American History because it had been a while...). I think K12 does the Hakim books over a 2 year time span.

We using All American History this fall, for DS11. Adding in reading from Sonlight catalog list.

We decided not to use Hakim's books, due to the fact there is SOO many, and I did not want to rush through them, but did want to complete US History in about 1 1/2 years.

I would get lots of biographies, such as Genevieve Foster's and Ingri D'Aulaire's. In addition, get a good spine to your girl's level. We're going to be doing American History in Third Year, so we're using two spines: The American History Stories by Mara Pratt Volumes 1-4 and The American Story: 100 True Tales of American History. Your children are older, so you may want to look at something else. If you're religious and Protestant, I would recommend Guerber's books by Christine Miller The Story of the Thirteen Colonies and The Story of the Republic. I would have them read the American History portions of The Story of the World: Volume 3 too, maybe borrowing it from the library if you don't have it already.

Then I would get a timeline, either ready made or do-it-yourself, and use notebooking pages to create a nice American History notebook. Timeline figures may be helpful if you're creating your own timeline.

DVDs on American History from the History Channel and a myriad of field trips should make your American History journey fun!

Are you covering all of American History in 1 year? That does impact what kind of depth you can do. Your girls are the perfect ages to do the Time Travelers CDs from Homeschool in the Woods if they like hands-on. Colonial Life is wonderful. We had a little more trouble with American Revolution--my girls were a bit too young I think. Colonial Life fit us better.

Our best read-alouds were Johnny Tremain and Carry on Mr. Bowditch. We're only up to 1850 though and there are a lot more great books planned for next year. I think with girls you have to do Little Women too; we'll try it but may abort if my kids are too young for it.

We use History of US as part of Biblioplan, but only books 2,3,4, and 5 this year, the rest next year.

We used Sonlight 3/4 (US History condensed) last year for younger ds and Core 100 for older ds this year. My boys are now 11 and 14. I would second the suggestion to use the Hakim books with the Hewitt schedule. Then you could add in the best of the Sonlight readers from both Cores (most of them are at the library). Geography Matters has their Trail Guide to US Geography. We used this to create a great notebook that included maps and interesting facts about each state. My ds developed some awesome researching and writing skills in the process.

Big hits in our home included Homeschool in the Woods' Time Travelers lapbooks and the PBS series by Ken Burns on the Civil War.