Menu

Has anyone seen Wolverine?

As a huge fan of Hugh Jackman I would spend money to hear him read a milk carton...I loved the movie however it is incredibly violent and I would not take a child under 12 to see it. The violence is not the only thing that would give me pause there is also a great deal of emotional devastation when we learn why Wolverine becomes a mercenary and subsequently rejects the ethos that permitted him to kill indiscriminately. We did use this as a spring board for discussion about just war theory and what follows from that justice in war. That pertains to conduct toward enemy combatants , rules of engagement, surrender,parley etc. Your pov on acceptable levels of violence given that it is a comic book tale may bring you to a different conclusion. As the saying goes your mileage may vary.

My kids went to the midnight movie, opening night, waited in line longer than the movie lasted etc. My daughter doesn't remember any language and she is pretty sensitive to that kind of stuff, but he is nekked while they are trying to implant something but the scene is from a long distance. You see him jump off a waterfall, and a brief bottom shot. There isn't really much of a story. Introduces the characters and Wolverines back story. Just showing you the characters. She says "it's not like great literature or anything...:D"

Lot's of gratuitous explosions and fighting and shooting and a head chopping scene right at the end - no blood spurting but a body going one way, head going the other. It is very violent, but a young friend who loves that kind of thing described it as comic book violence. She liked it enough that if someone wanted to see it again, she would go with them but wouldn't go out of her way to see it again herself. On the other hand she saw Twilight 6 times. How is that for a review...

Hmmm. Could you compare the violence (and s*x) to the first three? I know that the culture allows more and more as time goes by; I noticed that 2 was a little harder to bear than 1. I am due to preview #3 in a few days before making the decision if we can allow ds to see #4.

OH, watching Hugh is such a burden, but I do it for the kids. ;)

It does have some strong language. I don't think it was any more violent than the other 3 or the Ironman/Batman series (but I would say Hulk/Spiderman series were milder). Actually, the 3rd X-Men (The Last Stand) was kinda disturbing for me, and I liked Wolverine much better than that one. It does start off pretty violent--the main characters are fighting in wars, and you see how one starts turning into the 'bad' guy, and one scene in that part was iffy. There is the waterfall scene, but it's from a distance and not incredibly revealing. There is some sensuality, but no actual s**, and actually probably less sensuality than in the previous X-Men movies. I like the movie (Hugh Jackman is a fine looking man!), but DH (the X-Men Fan) was not overly impressed with it. That being said, I wouldn't let my younger DDs (8 and 5) watch it.

My dh and I took our 14 yr old to see it. We didn't take our 11 yr old boy or 9 yr old girl. I am so glad we didn't take them. The movie was very intense. Violence wasn't too bad but the intensity of it was out of the norm. I am not sure about the language. I think it was about the same as the other Xmen movies. Sexualilty was not shown but implied. In other words, my 14 yr old knew what was coming next even though they didn't show it.

I wouldn't take anybody younger than 14 just because of the intensity of the violence and story line.

Holly

Dh and I went for our ninth anniversary yesterday. He's a huge Wolverine fan, and I'm a Hugh Jackman fan, so we were both happy. Hugh was incredible in the film. Such a good actor. Too much violence for my taste, but there are worse movies out there (that I wouldn't even watch). It was sad, but in keeping with the X-Men series.

No sex scenes at all, to dh's chagrin :D

I detest bad words. I thought the language was not bad at all. I don't remember one bad word. Now don't get me started on Knocked Up or those other Judd Apatow movies :glare:

Edited by sagira

I have to agree with everyone's assessment. I would let my 13 (almost 14) year old see it but not much younger than that. Dh and I went to see it and some people brought their young children to see it. (like 4-6 age range)! I could not believe it.

I expected more from the movie than it gave. More background and some trailers made it seem like they would show more of the other characters too.