Menu

Shortly after I purchased Apologia Young Explorers science curriculum

Robin Hood

I think I'm much the same as you, with the worrying over whether this curriculum or that is the *best* instead of just enjoying it if we're enjoying it! I think the debate might have been over whether it was good to spend an entire year on one topic? We're doing Apologia Astronomy next year (is this what you're talking about or is Young Explorers different than their Elem. Curr.?) and spending most of the year on that. Not sure if it will be a fit of not, but it's worth a try!

We're doing Apologia Astronomy next year (is this what you're talking about or is Young Explorers different than their Elem. Curr.?) and spending most of the year on that. quote]

That's the very one were doing now in the Young Explorers series. I am not fretting as much as I want to know what the arguement was. (Not a real arguement) I want to see all sides and form my own conclusion. It seemed like it had something to do with accuracy and I wondered what was inaccurate in the series.

I only remember the discussion about if the science curriculum is good for upper levels. If that was what you were remembering, here is an article about it:

Jeannies Journal:

We are doing Zoology 1 and are really enjoying it. My son took a General Science course at co-op and we did some of Physical Science at home. A friend also teaches the upper level Apologia class, is a certified teacher, and loves the program.

IMHO, it all boils down to what works best for you and your family. Just as it would with any other curriculum. You're using it, enjoying it, don't let the other "stuff" influence your thoughts/opinions on the curriculum.

~Tina

last year, there was a debate about the science books and quite a few people didn't like this one. Can you refresh mey memory if you're one of those and tell me why? We are enjoying the book, but that debate keeps haunting me.

Gosh... many things have been said and talked about... I remember that some don’t like that God is mentioned a lot and that the text points to creation..... I think some felt He was over emphasized.... I think young earth was a discussion.... or issue for some as well...

but if you are enjoying it and your kids are learning... I agree w/ the others... keep enjoying it.:)

Thanks all. I thought that if anyone who opposed the information in the book recalls that she didn't agree with the material, perhaps she, herself, would know that and state her case.

I have found that at the beginning of the book, some of the statements seemed silly and without reason, but I read ahead and all the successive lessons build on the previous and explanations are forthcoming. My girls love science using this book.

I see they are going to complete the 1st book on the creation of the 6th day in May. I want to buy all the books and read ahead of the kids. Science like this is as much fun as history.