Menu

Memorizing Psalm 139

I am in a dilemma.

We are memorizing Psalm 139. I like to memorize things in their entirety, such as whole chapters or passages, rather than isolated verses.

I am torn whether to have the kids memorize this part:

19 Oh that you would slay the wicked, O God!O men of blood, depart from me! 20 They speak against you with malicious intent;your enemies take your name in vain! 21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord?And do I not loathe those who rise up against you? 22 I hate them with complete hatred;I count them my enemies.

For those of you who have memorized Psalm 139, did you include this?

TIA!

No. We memorized Psalm 139 and it remains my all-time favorite psalm. We did not include that paragraph. Yes, part of the chapter, but it just seemed so disjointed from the rest and at the time we first memorized it, my kids were all young. Interestingly, we'll pick it up this year as our co-op has decided to memorize that verse during chapel.

Lisa

ETA: I have nothing theologically against those verses. And now that I'm reading them, I can see that David had such a passionate love for God, such a holy reverence for Him and deep relationship with Him, that David could hate those things that were enemies of God.

Edited by FloridaLisa

No. We memorized Psalm 139 and it remains my all-time favorite psalm. We did not include that paragraph. Yes, part of the chapter, but it just seemed so disjointed from the rest and at the time we first memorized it, my kids were all young. Interestingly, we'll pick it up this year as our co-op has decided to memorize that verse during chapel.

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa. Do you know if your co-op is memorizing that section or are they also leaving it out?

Only you know your children's maturity level, but for years I taught that age-range in church and I would say, Go ahead, memorize the entire chapter. You might want to explain those particular verses or discuss the concept ahead of time, but 11, 9, and 8 seems old enough to understand the author's meaning. HTH!