Menu

Looking for a high school World History course...

that would be good for a co-op. Ideally, it would be Christian-based and not terribly expensive. I'm looking at Notgrass, so I would love to hear some reviews--good or bad. But I will consider others. Some in our co-op have mentioned Streams of Civilization. Any input on that one?

Thanks so much!

Jacklyn

Are you looking for a one year course to cover all of World History, or are you willing to try something like TOG that integrates world and American history, etc, over a 4 year cycle? I have heard that the Streams books are pretty boring, but if you added projects and geography and other interesting things, you could probably make it work. We use TOG and are part of a virtual discussion co-op. I love it! Good luck finding something that will work for your group!

Blessings,

April

so that makes using something like TOG difficult. Using an incremental approach would mean that the older students wouldn't get to finish the cycle. So I am looking for something that can be done in one year and accomodate any level of high school.

Thanks for your input! Any others? I'm also looking at Sonlight Core 300 if anyone has experience with it.

Jacklyn

that would be good for a co-op. Ideally, it would be Christian-based and not terribly expensive. I'm looking at Notgrass, so I would love to hear some reviews--good or bad. But I will consider others. Some in our co-op have mentioned Streams of Civilization. Any input on that one?

Thanks so much!

Jacklyn

I am using Notgrass American History this year, and I am very happy with it so far. It comes from a conservative Christian POV, but the author is careful not to gloss over the mistakes we have made.

I would not hesitate to recommend it as a resource for your co-op. I especially like the original resource documents used throughout the course.

I think I'd really look into Notgrass. We did the Am. Hist. here and found it to be just right for us. Since it isn't designed in a grade specific way, I would think it would work well for a mixed grade high school coop. I would also think it would work well for discussion kinds of things where you could assign the weeks reading and then tailor your meetings to suit what you want to emphasize, whether that's discussion or maybe a little lecture etc.

Also, we dropped the bible portion for our course and only used those sections very rarely as we had other stuff to do for bible. It didn't hurt the flow or content of the course at all for AM. Hist.

Here's another vote for Notgrass. We have only used the American History, but we also have the world history and I think it would be perfect for a co-op. The actual text is not difficult reading, and the source document readings, while very enriching, don't look as hard or extensive as the American history source documents. Mostly good literature choices, too, but easy to substitute base don your students, or just skip if you're not doing a lit component.

I keep coming back to the Notgrass World History because it seems to meet most of the requirements we are looking for. I find the tests and discussion questions a bit shallow though. Did any of you do the Nations Project with your children? I kind of like the idea used in Sonlight 300 better--writing a summary for each decade.

Again, I appreciate the encouragement for Notgrass. Now if I can just convince the co-op to spend the $.

Jacklyn