Menu

Anyone use Spanish for Children by Classical Academic Press?

I love their Latin materials...but I received the Spanish Primer A and answer Key in the mail and was just, honestly, stumped! I was planning to sale it, but I called today and ordered the DVD instead (I had called to see if I could return it and the customer service person was SO NICE. She offered to discount the DVD for me as if I was buying the package they offer online. It saved me $14. :)

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone here has used the Spanish and what you thought of it. I did not take Spanish in school (I took French) and I am just hoping I can teach it! If you used the DVD, is most of the teaching done on there? If so, that helps me out a ton! LOL

Opinions please!

I have used it this year with my 6th and 7th graders. We were 'DVDless' through the first half of the year, and when the DVD's came out the explanations were very helpful. Overall I've been pleased with it.

However as with any language program if the kids don't put forth the effort to really learn the vocabulary it is IMO a waste of time. My kids were really lax about learning the vocabulary earlier in the year and I'm having them go back through each lesson and work on the vocabulary. They are doing better the second time around. I have been having them take quizzes (that I make up) every two chapters that can cover any of the previous lessons vocabulary.

I don't feel like there is enough reinforcement in the book. I wish they had Spanish readers similar to the Latin readers that are available for LFC.

Yvonne in NE

I have it and plan to work through part of it this summer. We've had great success with LfC so I'm hoping some of that translates (no pun intended) into luck with SfC. I had four years of Spanish a few decades ago so I can deal with the pronunciation, and I'm hoping we won't need the DVDs.