Menu

AP Test Time --- How's it going for your DC? (and you?)

DS had his Stat AP test yesterday, just 3 kids in the room, quiet, lots of room and extra desks to put stuff on, so perfect test conditions for him. He has three more to go, Lit, Chem and Lang. Anxious time in our household to say the least. All the months of preparation finally coming together.

I had loads of issues locating a school this year what with schools not wanting or not sure they were permitted by their Super to have a hs'er test, and was finally able to find this school. The AP Coordinator has been a sweetheart too and seems quite hs friendly. With taking 4 tests from her, I would like to thank her when this is all done, but how? A note for sure but a gift card too? What do you think? Ideas please.

Carole

a small box of chocolates? Don't know what is available there...here they have one for about $7 that are just tiny tasty morsels for the thought...

About testing conditions - while we had no problem getting a place, the room was crowded, hot and stuffy - I think 34 kids on the round type of computer terminals (about 5 at each)...And it took so long...He went in at 1pm and didn't get out til 5:20...From the Barron's (French), I thought it would be about 3 hours. (He took a train and bus home and it took so long I was worried that he got beat up on the way home or something and his phone wasn't working). I should have asked about people's experiences about time...They started late and I don't know what else happened...

I posted about my dd taking the AP bio test earlier. She is cramming now and has studied for biology for about 10hrs/wk before this, but just cracked the study guide open about a week ago :001_huh:

I hope she somehow miraculously does well, we'll see.

We found a great AP test coordinator too. I was thinking of giving her a bowl of chocolate covered strawberries.

My oldest two took AP US government on Monday morning. I'm actually a bit anxious as I'm eager to see how my students fared. Maybe you can relate Blue Hen. :tongue_smilie:

This exam was dd's first stab at AP as a 9th grader. They drove off Monday morning without saying a final good-bye and dd left her social security number on the counter (ds knows his at this point). No cell phone. School office not yet open. I couldn't chase them down in my car because we had to head out for year-end testing downtown. :001_huh: After lots of calls and call backs, I was finally able to give her number to a really nice lady in the front office.

When dd got home, I asked her if she got her social security number. "Yeah. Some lady had it for me," said without a trace of surprise. I just chuckled. Do ya think our kids will ever know all that we go through behind the scenes to make things *just work out* for them? ;)

Best wishes to all. Ds still has a macroeconomics exam next week. For his sake, the rest of us are trying not to give completely over to summer break just yet.

Lisa

DS had his Stat AP test yesterday, just 3 kids in the room, quiet, lots of room and extra desks to put stuff on, so perfect test conditions for him. He has three more to go, Lit, Chem and Lang. Anxious time in our household to say the least. All the months of preparation finally coming together.

I had loads of issues locating a school this year what with schools not wanting or not sure they were permitted by their Super to have a hs'er test, and was finally able to find this school. The AP Coordinator has been a sweetheart too and seems quite hs friendly. With taking 4 tests from her, I would like to thank her when this is all done, but how? A note for sure but a gift card too? What do you think? Ideas please.

Carole

Oh Carole this does my heart good after his stinky experience with the PSAT! I thought about you all on Saturday when I went to pick up dd after the SAT - very loud construction going on outside the building :glare: But she said it was quiet in the building.

My dd is doing chem and Language as well - but those are her only two. And as for how it's affecting me, go here.

I like your idea of getting the AP Coordinator a gift card - nothing huge, maybe $10 or so - but I'm sure she'll be touched. And you may make it easier for another hs'er further down the road.

Our local ps has been really helpful as well. DD went to bubble in her forms last week, and it took 30 minutes for 2 tests - so she was glad to get that done before test day. The secretary (?) kept saying she was "home bound" - I think she doesn't totally get the hs'ing concept:glare:

as entire school districts are closed down for the next few days.

I'm glad we had contacted a small private school for dd to take her AP Psych exam next week.

Poor kids are taking their tests at a local arena (Will Rogers coliseum) to accomodate the numbers. Can you imagine the noise? Next week's APs will test on schedule, but this week's are being rescheduled for the last two weeks in May.

Thank you for thinking of us. I'm so glad this has worked out this way. 'Nancy' told me at one point that the most number of kids to be tested in the room will be 10, for Lang, or was it for Lit. The teachers should know the kids need a guiet space and it helps the kids to have ideal testing conditions too, right.

My DS has to be to the school 30 minutes early for each test to bubble in his sheets. Wouldn't it be nice it they only had to do one sheet per AP season....

Someone suggested a Borders or B&N card and that's what I'm going to go with. A nice thank you card from us and the gift certificate. Nothing big, no less, a thank you. (And then we'll call Nancy up next year for the next round.... )

Carole

DS had his Stat AP test yesterday, just 3 kids in the room, quiet, lots of room and extra desks to put stuff on, so perfect test conditions for him.

Wow, only 3 kids in the room! My ds, a 9th grader, took AP Calculus test this morning with about 30 kids in the room. He will be taking AP Music Theory test next Monday. Anyone has an experience of AP Music Theory test? How do they handle with listening part?

Anyone who is taking several APs? If so, let me hear your experience of finding schools to arrange several APs. When you have many like 6 or 7 APs, do you find schools to allow you take all, or are you allowed to use two schools in case you find schools to allow only some of these APs?

Two years ago we juggled two schools.

My son had to take two AP's at one school and a third at another. The first school is a wonderful private school, but they didn't offer the third AP test. Ds1 had to take the third at the local public school.

Ditto my dd1, though she was taking a different AP exam at the local public high school.

I just called the AP folks and asked how taking tests at two schools was done, and they were quite helpful. Basically, the kids needed to take their AP booklet with them to the other school instead of leaving it with the guidance office like all the other students did.

My son had to take two AP's at one school and a third at another.

Basically, the kids needed to take their AP booklet with them to the other school instead of leaving it with the guidance office like all the other students did.

Thank you Gwen for sharing your experience in AP. BTW, as we are new to AP stuff, what do you mean leaving AP booklet with guidence office?

My dd had her first AP of the year in Computer Science yesterday at the local public high school.

While the test itself went well, she was a bit flustered by unwanted male attention at break time. She took the exam with about 20 other students -all male! When the multiple choice section ended, she got a drink of water and went back to her seat and pulled out her granola bar snack. A boy from across the room got up and sat down in the chair in front of her - never mind that it was already occupied by another (quiet) boy. He did a 180, looked at her paperwork, and started calling her by name. She said he didn't let up talking for the whole break; another boy joined him and they were "quite friendly" according to dd, who just wanted to chill for a few minutes!

Three more exams to go next week: Physics C (both parts), English Language, and Latin Literature. Dd's comment to me was that she thought she might dress down and not wash her hair on Monday for the physics AP, which she's afraid will include those boys again.

The public high school itself has been a gem this year. Dd has five AP's if you include both parts of Physics C- as many as we've ever had to schedule. They offered her a seat for every one of them. That's never happened to us before, and this is the fifth year for our kids for APs. What really surprised us is that they said she could take the Latin Literature test, even though none of their own students is taking AP Latin this year. They scheduled a separate room and proctor just for her. Like Carole, I'm going to have to do something nice for the AP Coordinator (who is also the principal of the school) this year!

Anyone who is taking several APs? If so, let me hear your experience of finding schools to arrange several APs. When you have many like 6 or 7 APs, do you find schools to allow you take all, or are you allowed to use two schools in case you find schools to allow only some of these APs?

In past years when this has happened, we've used whatever school that the first exam will be given at as our main school, where the kids have gone to the preadministration bubbling session and filled out the necessary paperwork. This school then issues them the "Student Pack" at the first exam date. The Student Pack includes their AP Student Number for the year and all the personalized stickers they'll need to seal each exam. They just need to physically transport this Student Pack to any other school that they test at -be sure the other school(s) know that your student will be showing up with this Student Pack in hand. The proctors will try to collect the Student Packs after each exam, but if the kids explain that they need their Pack to take to a different school, the proctors should understood and allow them to take it.

Dd's comment to me was that she thought she might dress down and not wash her hair on Monday for the physics AP, which she's afraid will include those boys again..

:lol:

I'm with your dd, I would want time to just chill between the exam parts. I like her idea of not washing her hair, although not being clean would bother me during the exam. hmmmm,

What book(s) did your dd use for the AP Computer? Thanks

Carole

Dd has five AP's if you include both parts of Physics C- as many as we've ever had to schedule. They offered her a seat for every one of them. That's never happened to us before, and this is the fifth year for our kids for APs. What really surprised us is that they said she could take the Latin Literature test, even though none of their own students is taking AP Latin this year. They scheduled a separate room and proctor just for her.

Wow, the school for your ds's AP tests this year is so helpful with kindness. How nice to hear they made your job much easier this year!

When you use 2 schools, and your kid need to take one AP in the morning then need to take another AP test in the afternoon in another school, do you see any possibility to fail to meet afternoon test time?

In past years when this has happened, we've used whatever school that the first exam will be given at as our main school, where the kids have gone to the preadministration bubbling session and filled out the necessary paperwork. This school then issues them the "Student Pack" at the first exam date. The Student Pack includes their AP Student Number for the year and all the personalized stickers they'll need to seal each exam. They just need to physically transport this Student Pack to any other school that they test at -be sure the other school(s) know that your student will be showing up with this Student Pack in hand. The proctors will try to collect the Student Packs after each exam, but if the kids explain that they need their Pack to take to a different school, the proctors should understood and allow them to take it.

Thank you very much!

She took the exam with about 20 other students -all male! When the multiple choice section ended, she got a drink of water and went back to her seat and pulled out her granola bar snack. A boy from across the room got up and sat down in the chair in front of her - never mind that it was already occupied by another (quiet) boy. He did a 180, looked at her paperwork, and started calling her by name. She said he didn't let up talking for the whole break; another boy joined him and they were "quite friendly" according to dd, who just wanted to chill for a few minutes!

Hmmm, interesting! Is AP CS for boys in general? I have a daughter too.

My son, a 9th grader, too was eager to tell me as soon as he was done AP Calculus test with 30 kids in the room this morning. As no one in the room recognized him, they automatically thought it's because he was a younger grader, and suddenely kids were asking him identical question, what grade are you in? Although he is a younger grader in deed, they did not have to find reason from his homeschooling.

dd took her first of 3 APs on Monday at the local high school. She was supposed to be there at 7:45 but with traffic we actually arrived closer to 7:55! The 2 coordinators were standing at the door waiting for her. Everyone made a nice joke of it on both sides: I apologized and said that not realising the traffic conjestion must be one of the hidden benefits of homeschooling (I had *more* than doubled the usual time) and they told us that if she knew the MA homeschool code she could take the exam. Diffused what could have been a nasty situation.

There were only 4 other testees, all seniors, in a somewhat quiet room off to one side of the campus. Filling in booklet was interrupted for the morning announcements.

I was all ready for her needing to take her booklet away with her after the test. I'd even written a nice note 'to whom it may concern' but this school sends the books away with the students.

They were nice to her, but she's happy that she'll be taking the other 2 tests at a local private school that is in a direction that is counter-commute.

I wrote a short thank you note to the AP coordinator and cc'd the school superindent who approved our homeschooling application.

BTW dd is hoping to take Music Theory next year, so I'll be interested in how that goes, 'HomeschoolWhy?'

~Moira

There were only 4 other testees, all seniors, in a somewhat quiet room off to one side of the campus. Filling in booklet was interrupted for the morning announcements.

Wonderful!

BTW dd is hoping to take Music Theory next year, so I'll be interested in how that goes, 'HomeschoolWhy?'

I do not think I am able to discuss on music, as I am not a musician. I am clueless on music. My son has had some deep knowledge in music theory naturally when he plays several instruments, so he will be just taking the test next week.

I'd go with a gift card! And good luck to your son!

My older son is back in school and has testing this Friday. I'm sad and apprehensive because I don't think his teacher has adequately prepared them for the test at all. He won't listen to me, however, so there's very little I can do. I did get him to take some prep tests last weekend and talked him through the things he missed, etc. That's all I can do. I'll just have to continue to hope and pray for the best.

I dread that he's signed up for another AP class from this same instructor for next year....

:lol:

What book(s) did your dd use for the AP Computer? Thanks

Carole

She used Litvin & Litvin Java Methods, along with the Barron's review book. I give her all the credit for figuring out this course; I tried to keep up, and I learned some of this new object-oriented programming, but it just about made my brain explode:tongue_smilie:.

~Kathy

Wow, the school for your ds's AP tests this year is so helpful with kindness. How nice to hear they made your job much easier this year!

When you use 2 schools, and your kid need to take one AP in the morning then need to take another AP test in the afternoon in another school, do you see any possibility to fail to meet afternoon test time?

Thank you very much!

We've been fortunate to never have this problem! Aren't the test times only about 30 minutes apart? I'm not sure how possible this would be unless the schools were close to one another?

~ Kathy

We've been fortunate to never have this problem! Aren't the test times only about 30 minutes apart? I'm not sure how possible this would be unless the schools were close to one another? ~ Kathy

Kathy,

My son, a 9th grader, just got into AP testing matter this year. As he is new, we only allowed him to take 2 APs---Calculus, Music Theory--- this year although he has 3 more APs.

I am new too, and I am just realizing some potential problems as we suppose he would be taking severals next year. There will be days he needs to take one in the morning, another one in the afternoon same day & in two different schools.

My son was out of public school building where he took calculus around 12:25 pm today although the plan was by 12 pm. With this type of delay to end, I mmediately realized that there could have a problem if kids are taking APs in the morning, afternoon same day but in two different schools.

Carole

She is probably not allowed to accept gifts by professional standards, so a gift card is out. A note would be best. If you wanted, some homemade goodies. But really, the note would be most appreciated.

My son took AP Calculus BC yesterday, and has Chemistry and English Language next week. He thought at least one of the free-response questions was very different than anything he'd encountered during his practice tests and was glad to hear at College Confidential that other students found it challenging as well. Apparently, during the last few minutes of the test, one of the students near him started to cry quietly, which must have been rather disconcerting for the rest of them! He says at other tests students have quit in the middle and laid their heads down on their desks ... I feel so sorry for those kids!

Mine took the Lit test today -- just 6 kids. He said that one student slept through most of the FRQ and 2 others just stopped about half-way through. He didn't know if they just were happy with what they had written or had given up. He felt like time moved very slowly for him, had time to write all he wanted, proof-read it, and add more information to one question, and still found himself with an extra 10 minutes.

Carole

There were only 4 other testees, all seniors, in a somewhat quiet room off to one side of the campus.

My son was in AP Calculus test room last Wednesday with about 30 more kids. When no one recognized him, every kids curiously questioned him if he was from different grade, Indeed he was the only 9th grader. This morning he took AP music theory test. This time there was no one in the testing room except him. It was somewhat too quiet.

dd is hoping to take Music Theory next year, so I'll be interested in how that goes, 'HomeschoolWhy?'

My son has had much more knowledge in music theory than at the AP level. So he took the AP test very easily this morning. I am a clueless person in music so I will not be helpful. But if you have specific questions, I may let him to reply. Perhaps your dd can go to any local college and request theory placement test to see what concepts she perhaps needs to improve for AP test next year.

My ds1 did have one AP exam where he was the only one tested, but both he and my dd have had AP exams where there were over 250 kids testing in the same room!!!!!

Wow, is that real??? 250 kids in the same room? Do you mind if I ask what subject AP tests they were, so I am able to warn my son in advance to deal with similar case next time?

The crowd was taking AP US Govt. About 50% of the students in our school district take this class in 10th grade, and in our district students who take the class are required to take the AP exam. I am told that AP Human Geography is similarly crowded/popular in our school district.

I appreciate our little private school that provides a relatively small intimate testing environment. Too bad that it offers so few AP classes!

My daughter was the sole test taker recently when she took the AP Statistics exam. Those in charge at the homeschooling resource center where she has taken a number of classes over the past six years were kind enough to order the test, provide a proctor, and find a room for her to take the test. While the center does offer AP courses, it has never offered AP Statistics. My daughter said it was quiet ... except for a copy job that someone sent to the printer in the room but could not retrieve. Oops.

Regards,

Kareni

Dd took the AP bio test today at a private school with 45 other kids. She said it was relatively quiet for that many kids. One student slept for most of the test. Several kids drew trees as an answer for one of the essay questions. Some didn't even appear to attempt the essay portion.

We hope she did OK. She said the test was on more basic biology and that the advanced topics weren't on the test.

:auto: on to summer....