Menu

Apologia General Science ? for 5th and 8th

krystal70

Has anyone out here used this text with a 5th grader and an 8th grader? I was thinking of using it as a the spine for the 5th grade and attempt to bring it down to his level with books more on his level. I would use it as is for the 8th grader. If you have done this with a 5th grader, how did you schedule it out and what books did you use? Did you use it for your science outlining and notebooking?

Thanks!

Has anyone out here used this text with a 5th grader and an 8th grader? I was thinking of using it as a the spine for the 5th grade and attempt to bring it down to his level with books more on his level. I would use it as is for the 8th grader. If you have done this with a 5th grader, how did you schedule it out and what books did you use? Did you use it for your science outlining and notebooking?

Thanks!

I used it this year with my 4th & 6th grader, who enjoy science. I didn't find that I needed to bring anything down, but we did read the text outloud together. It was interesting and they did well with it. It just happened that the kids were taking a human body science class at our co-op at the same time and so they got to do some very fun extension activities that went along with what we were doing in Apologia. (They dissected pig hearts.)

We followed pretty much the schedule on donnayoung.org to lay it out, and I did have my kids write up a few lab reports (but not for every lab). I didn't do any other notebooking or outlining with science. We just read it together, discussed it, did the labs together, did the study guides together, and then they took the tests on their own.

My 5th grader just started it a few weeks ago. Now she will spend 6 weeks on the first module alone, so I am starting her out easy. I do step up the schedule gradually. So far she hasn't had any problems with the content (still in module 1 so take that with a grain of salt). I am having her outline all the reading in her notebook with her notes on the experiments and answer to the On Your Own questions. I also have her define the vocab words.

I haven't quite finished the schedule yet. In the end it will be a year and a half schedule, so probably not what you are looking for. If you would like to see it send me an e-mail and I can send you a copy.

Heather

Thanks for reminding me about the schedules on Donnayoung.org...:) :D Now to decide on the books that I want them to read along with science. :thumbup:

Some of the Prentice Hall Science Explorer books cover the same topics. Beyond that (or if you're not looking for a text) look at the books from Sonlight's Science in the topics you will be covering.