Menu

Do you cook with recipes or just wing it?

I use recipes for baking breads, cookies, muffins, ect. but for most main dishes, I just wing it.

In the crock pot I put:

skinless boneless chicken breast tenders

a bit of teriyaki sauce

a splash of soy sauce

about 2T brown sugar

1 T vinegar

1 tps. minced garlic

I figure it will be quite tasty and used up the little bits of sauces, etc. I had in the fridge.

I wing it. Most of the time, it works. Like you, I use recipes when baking (which isn't often). My 12yo dd is the baker around here, and sometimes she uses a recipe (which she tweaks), and sometimes she wings it. She is great at desserts!

Your chicken sounds good!

I am jealous, ladies! I am reliant on recipes. After trying one, I can sometimes customize it to suit my tastes, but I can't start out winging it and end up with anything edible.

Right now, I am hooked on the Saving Dinner crockpot recipes. I am trying to make another 6 week menu rotation and am trying out various crockpot things to add to it. And I taught myself to cook using the Taste of Home magazines, so I am definitely in the recipe camp.

I use recipes for baking breads, cookies, muffins, ect. but for most main dishes, I just wing it.

In the crock pot I put:

skinless boneless chicken breast tenders

a bit of teriyaki sauce

a splash of soy sauce

about 2T brown sugar

1 T vinegar

1 tps. minced garlic

I figure it will be quite tasty and used up the little bits of sauces, etc. I had in the fridge.

Almost 100% recipes here. Even for things that I have been making regularly for 14 years!! I still have to get out that old recipe card and check the amount of something. For some reason, my brain just doesn't retain that information. On the plus side, I have only had two real meal flops in 14 years of marriage (a tuna melt recipe and a cherry-chicken salad), so at least my caution pays off in that way.:001_smile:

I use a recipe for almost everything! I'm not that good at winging it. I love to bake. My dh, on the other hand, hardly ever uses a recipe. He's great at coming up with things on his own.

This is exactly me and dh. I am terrible at looking at my ingredients on hand and creating a dish. Wish I was better at it. But, boy, can I follow a recipe to the T...which is probably why I'm good at baking! :D

I use a combination of recipes and winging it. It depends on what I am cooking.

This would be me too. I will adjust amounts of seasonings in a recipe, but for the most part I don't deviate much from them if I start with one.

After having cooked for 20years I am at the point where I can just put things together. I understand spices and what combinations work together and tastes my family enjoys the most so it's become pretty easy. Now there are a few things that I make that I am not sure of the consistency so I'll refer to a recipe on occassion but I pretty much have it down to an art. Now baking is a science I am working on understanding ratios of flour, baking soda/powder, salt etc. for cakes, cupcakes, bread, cookies and still have to use a recipe.